Thread: Did I make the right play? Feeling queasy about this one.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Did I make the right play? Feeling queasy about this one.

GM offered me Leon Draisaitl, original deal was turned down even though a deal like it went through with another GM. Go figure.

My second attempt: My Johnny Gaudreau and Sebastian Aho (the Finnish Forward) for his Leon Draisaitl. Do you think this was a smart move? Drasaitl currently is riding on a 124 point prorate/82 games over these past 2 seasons. The only takeaway it allows me to protect a player like Janne Koukkanen who's having a 48 point prorated rookie season at age 22 as a rookie. So I look at it as Aho and Gaudreau for Draisaitl and Koukkanen. My only fear is that Gaudreau returns to his old form and Aho finds another step to his game.

This is a 31 team, 24 player roster, protect 16 if you're a playoff team. 17 if you fail to make it. I was the top team for the past two seasons. I am top 3 this year due to injuries (worst in recent memory) and guys playing well below their expected level of play.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Did I make the right play? Feeling queasy about this one.

I think it's a bit of an overpay, but when you are getting a guy who is in the conversation for the player you most want on a fantasy team right now, you do what you have to do.

It sucks that a trade got vetoed that was similar to something else, though.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Yes, absolutely is an overpay. Does it scare me? Absolutely. I have up 63 points for two roster spots that one gets me 61. But can Draisaitl maintain this for years and what happens if Gaudreau gets his mojo back and Aho breaks out and becomes what I expect him to become. It feels I have had to overpay as a consequence of my team's success. Sucks, but oh well.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Don’t feel queasy about it, you got the best player and a top 3 in the world superstar at that. Look forward with him on your roster now, not back!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I agree with joeb323. You got one the best player. Also Aho is decent but Gaudreau is meh.... Some look at Gaudreau being a 90 point player having an off year or two in a row or is he a 50-60 pt player who overachieved one year and hit 80-90 pts. I think he's the second.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I like this trade a lot for you
    Yahoo 2 Keeper, H2H, 14 Team | 2C, 2L, 2R, 3D, 2G, 3 Bench

G, A, PPP, PIM, S, Hits, W, SV%, Shutouts

C: McDavid, Bedard, Verhaeghe (L)
    L: E Kane, Guentzle
    R: JT Miller (C), Kyrou (C)
    D: Trouba, Carlson, Montour
    G: Talbot, Hart

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Eli26 View Post
    Yes, absolutely is an overpay. Does it scare me? Absolutely. I have up 63 points for two roster spots that one gets me 61. But can Draisaitl maintain this for years and what happens if Gaudreau gets his mojo back and Aho breaks out and becomes what I expect him to become. It feels I have had to overpay as a consequence of my team's success. Sucks, but oh well.
    Bolded is a yes for me. I'm willing to argue for taking Draisatl 1st overall in a league that breaks out forward positions.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I think you did well. Gaudreau is not a 90 pt guy and won't be again, more likely 60-70. Aho is a big piece, however, Drai is another level. Looking at the piece you get to keep with the 2 for 1 deal is a part alot of people forget about. You will be happy with the trade for years to come.
    12 team pts league. G(1pt), A(1pt), PPP(1pt), SHP(1pt), GWG(1pt), W(3pts), SO(2pts)
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 4F, 4D, 2G, 4Bench, 2IR
    Keep any 5 max 3 years

C - McDavid, Backstrom, Tavares, Couturier, Trochek
    RW - Pavelski, Fiala, E. Lindholm
    LW - Landeskog, Palat, E. Kane, Robertson
    D - Hedman, Yandle, Fox, Provorov
    G - Lehner, Rask, MAF, Talbot

Dobber Sports Stud

You got one of the best players in the world. Be happy. Gaudreau is on his way down forevermore. Aho is great, but he's no drai

Dobber Sports Novice

Yeah, this is a win for you. Gaudreau isn't worth worrying about--good offense if/when he's clicking, but nothing else, so his overall value is replaceable. Aho is a good player, but I think we've more or less seen the ceilings of both Aho and Draisaitl, and Draisaitl's is clearly higher. So, basically, you win the Aho-for-Drai part of the trade, and I don't think you particularly lose the Gaudreau-for-an-empty-roster-spot part of the trade.
    ---
    14-tm Yahoo keep 5 up to 3 years; 2C, 2RW, 2LW, 4D, 1UT, 2G; 4BN; 1 IR+
    G, A, PPP, HIT, BLK, SOG, GWG, SHP, GAA, Sv%, W

C: MacK, Larkin, Suzuki
    LW: Connor, DCat, Kubalik
    RW: Bratt, Fiala, Bjorkstrand
    D: Dahlin, Dobson, Werenski, Montour, Durzi, Romanov
    G: Shest, Elvis

12-tm FanTrax keep $10, +$1 each keep; 9F, 6D, 2G, 6BN, 2 IR
    G=2, A=1.6, PPP = 1, SHP=1, GWG=1, HAT=1, SOG=0.2, HIT=0.2, BLK=0.2, SV=0.3, GA=-2, W=2, SO=2

F: Guentz, Kaprizov, JGaudreau, Reinhart, Trocheck, Bratt, Kopitar, Perron, Keller, Necas, Kubalik, Lafreniere
    D: Dobson, DeAngelo, Morrissey, Hanifin, Orlov, Lindell, Romanov, Sandin
    G: Andersen, Shest, Sorokin
    IR: Patches

Dobber Sports Initiate

Thanks guys, makes me feel a bit better, but I am still not sold on Gaudreau being this bad. As it is he just had a goal and an assist tonight and while that doesn't change much these past two seasons, it's something. Aho got a goal too. Draisaitl zero. Argh! 2 game scoreless streak for Leon. NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

There's too much of an intelligent and highly skilled player in Johnny Hockey to believe 3 seasons of 80 or more points is something he can't return to. He just needs a better centerman... someone who can drive the offence as much as be a good complimentary piece to Gaudreau's game. I feel that Sean can compliment Johnny, but is limited in the hockey sense to drive the play in a way that benefits his best winger. Your centerman should be the driving force of your line, not your winger. Sean is an anchor. If JG gets traded or some how a miracle happens and one of their prospects translates well into an elite C or the Flames trade for a smarter version of Monahan, I can see the old JG again. There is definitely a sense of frustration from the player and coach.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Don't overthink it. You got one of the best fantasy player in the world, probably in the top 3. There is a price for that. Good move. I would have done it anytime.