Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Seattle Expansion Thpughts

The Great One

Default Seattle Expansion Thpughts

So Ive been listening to podcasts, youtube videos, etc- discussing prognostications for the Kraken and even took a shot at it myself at capfriendly- very fun and reccomended!!!
    Here are a few thoughts I had:

-There are a LOT of very good goalies available- I took 4 and easily could have taken 5 with Ullmark being a real solid option. Raanta is great albeit injury prone, VV in washington has been a revelation, taking a Columbus second stringer is very solid as they seem to be a goalie factory, and Ive heard a few pundits cite Gustaavson from Ottawa and compared to what else youd get- I think hes a fine choice.

- I think there are a couple Marchessault/Karlsson types avaialable. I think Verhage is the easiest call if hes not proptected. I think Hino could be in a third times a charm type of situation. A healthy Kase could be beastly. If Lundestrom is given a scoring role that could expediate his ffensive contributions. I think Bennet and Backlund are great middle six options and either one could see a small boost in scoring with a move to the Kraken. Stenlund is breaking out and will almost certainly be available. Lastly Gaudette and Mathieu Joseph (TB) could both carve out scoring roles if selected.

- Is Devon Toews going to be available?? Hard to imagine but with that blueline its possible. Jake Bean is another one who seems to talented to be available but very well might be. Vince Dunn is a whole separate situation but he could even get drafted. Thjats one talented offensively inclined dman for each pairing right down the lineup- not a bad start!

- The site doesnt allow you to poach Gusev or Mikheyev- I think either guy would be in a great p[osition to succeed in a new role.

- This might be just me but I wonder if this is the avenue buffalo takes to cleanse themselves of Skinner. Theyd have to pony up assets and wouldnt even be surprised if they had to retain some salary but a new team (second line/sheltered) could do wonders for skinners game.

All in all there could be a quality team here. I do NOT see a vegas like effect- but I could see a fringe playoff team with a lot of culpable assets going forward. What you guys figure??

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: Seattle Expansion Thpughts

Weak at Forward
    Strong Defensively
    Goalies are always a crapshoot, but should be solid if perform to expectations.
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

The Great One

Ullmark is a UFA. So is Raanta. Elvis doesn't need to be protected, so he and Korpisalo will stay in Columbus. Gusty is 3rd in line in Ottawa...

The Great One

I was thinkin matiis in CLB

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_Emu View Post
    I was thinkin matiis in CLB
    I'm not very high on Matiis, I think he's behind Tarasov and CLB's two current goalies. And with Raanta and Ullmark UFA's, I'm not sure it's a strong draft for goalies.

One team that will be more interesting to me is Ottawa. At the beginning of the year, the writer for the Athletic protected Joey D'Accord over Matt Murray, which I felt was pretty ballsy. But man, you just never know...

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    I'm not very high on Matiis, I think he's behind Tarasov and CLB's two current goalies. And with Raanta and Ullmark UFA's, I'm not sure it's a strong draft for goalies.

One team that will be more interesting to me is Ottawa. At the beginning of the year, the writer for the Athletic protected Joey D'Accord over Matt Murray, which I felt was pretty ballsy. But man, you just never know...
    I agree- D'accord looked good before injury too. Gustaavson has his own pedigree as well.

So quick question- how do UFAs work?? Im guessing they just sign post expansion and as such are protected unless Seattle wanted to sin them?

- - - Updated - - -

Im asking cause every "pundit" I follow has Raanta and Ullmark in the discussion...

Dobber Sports Deity

UFAs dont belong to any teams so they are not available for the expansion draft. They are available to be signed by Seattle just like other teams, but if I remember correctly, they actually get an earlier window to talk to them than other teams. I am pretty sure thats how it worked with Vegas and should apply here as well.

That being said, teams are required to expose a certain number of players at differing positions.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

I believe that is correct. In Arizona right now Hill and Kuemper meet the goalie availability requirements and in Buffalo it's only Tokarski. Yes, UFA's can sign with Seattle during the signing period this off season. Or they can re-sign with whatever team they want after the expansion draft. Every team just needs one goalie to meet the exposure requirements.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Veteran

Pending UFAs are available in the draft. Seattle can speak with them earlier but if their don't select them in the expansion draft they can't sign them until July 1st (in a normal year.) Pending UFAs do still belong to their teams during the expansion draft since their contracts haven't expired yet at the time of the expansion draft.

Vegas selected pending UFA Deryk Engelland from Calgary in their draft

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Pending UFAs are available in the draft. Seattle can speak with them earlier but if their don't select them in the expansion draft they can't sign them until July 1st (in a normal year.) Pending UFAs do still belong to their teams during the expansion draft since their contracts haven't expired yet at the time of the expansion draft.

Vegas selected pending UFA Deryk Engelland from Calgary in their draft
    So why are none of the pending UFAs green in capfriendly's Seattle draft tool meaning they do not meet exposure requirements?
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett

IR:

Dobber Sports Veteran

Because as pending UFAs they don't count towards exposure requirements.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Because as pending UFAs they don't count towards exposure requirements.
    So they don't count but still need to be protected if a given team doesn't want them taken?
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max

IR:

Dobber Sports Veteran

That is correct

The Great One

Seattle must choose a minimum of 20 players under contract for the 2021-22 regular season...
    Just went back to the rules to make sure I get it. So they can only do this (select a pending UFA) 11 times as they select their player from each team.
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max

IR:

Dobber Sports Veteran

10, Vegas isn't part of the expansion draft. I believe they would need to hit the cap-floor with those 20 players as well if they went that route