Thread: What to do if Halak is out longer term

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default What to do if Halak is out longer term

League not in sig. I'm in a 16 team Rotisserie dynasty league with the categories Wins, GAA, SV%, Shutouts, and Shots Faced. Start 1 goalie per night.

We have a goalie limit of as many goalies as you want from one team, plus one from any other team. Currently my goalies are Hellebuyck, Brossoit, and Halak. I realize that Halak's getting a confirming test, but I can put him on IR now, and make a move to try to be preemptive with this situation. With Halak's test and Winnipeg's postponements, I'm likely to slide back in the goalie categories, and I've been front-running much of the season. Currently I'm 4th or higher in all goalie stats, but with 2 volume categories & shutouts, I think I need to make sure to get some starts.

I've literally never streamed goalies from free agency before. All my leagues are dynasty, and I also just joined it as a replacement owner this year, so no real track record on how other teams manage rosters in a normal environment. There's no trade deadline in this league, so I could try to upgrade my third goalie via a trade, and I have some nice pieces in the minors to do that, and could even give Halak back.

FA: Rinne, Quick, Elliott, Wedgewood, Greiss, Georgiev, Rittich, Hutchinson, Hill, Gustaffsson, Johansson
    Minors: Kahkonen, Vladar (just grabbed him to help cover this)

My plan is:
    Grab one of Rinne or Greiss for the start on Tuesday.
    If Halak is missing significant time, stream on Winnipeg's off nights from FA or by calling up one of Kahkonen/Vladar.

Is Vladar/Kahkonen likely enough coverage, or should I look for a trade?
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: What to do if Halak is out longer term

I like your plan. If Halak is out long term Id consider trade options (or if Rask returns soon) but in thr meantime I'd stick with your plan.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

For the short term, meaning the next few days, yes, I think you're ok with Vladar (I don't expect Kahkonen to get many starts ROS, unless Talbot totally drops the ball). Rask still isn't playing, so it's likely that Vladar will get the start tonight against the Flyers. There is no one on your FA list that is an overly reliable replacement.

But depending on the result of Halak's test, and Rask's return to play (he's travelling with the team on this road trip, so I assume he will be back sooner than later), you may have to reevaluate. If Halak's test is confirmed and he's out for a couple weeks, and Rask takes the net back, Vladar won't get any starts and streaming is probably your best option until Halak returns. But it never hurts to explore the trade market in the meantime.
    12 Teams, 23 Players (max 3 goalies), H2H, Keep 15 (max 2 goalies)
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 2F, 1U, 4D, 2G, 8 Bench, 2 IR+
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, HIT, BLK, W, SV, SV%, SHO

Keepers:
    C - Matthews, Eichel, Hughes (LW), Pettersson
    LW - Kaprizov, Svechnikov (RW), Guentzel, Fiala, Keller (RW)
    RW - Marner, Meier (LW), Laine(C/LW), Jarvis (C)
    D - Dahlin​, Sergachev, Theodore, Klingberg, Werenski, Peeke, Cernak
    G - Shesterkin, Sorokin, Merzlikins
    IR - Pacioretty, Ristolainen

2023 Draft Picks: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8

**2021/22 League Champion**

Thanks for the thoughts.

Considering I have to make a decision now for tonight, with Rinne not starting, and Griess not confirmed, I'm going to grab Swayman for tonight's start. It will strangely allow me to lock up a bit of the Bruins net as long as one of Rask & Halak aren't healthy. My main other option was Wedgewood versus Buffalo.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Ace

Seems Talbot has completely taken the net in minny so i don't think you'll get many more starts from Kahkonen barring an injury. Vladar is likely the best streamer available and you already have him, BOS plays a bunch of the next couple of weeks so if Halak is out longer term i think you stick with him. If/When Rask comes back, you'll have to revaluate, but Halak/Vladar combo should get you a bunch of starts down the road.

The other option would be Hill. No news on Kuemper and who knows with Raanta, even know his is progressing. Might consider dropping Kahkonen and adding Hill outright. Zona's schedule next week is Vegas twice so it's not ideal, but after that they play the Ducks like 4 times before the season ends

btw, Rinne isn't getting a start in the near term with how Saros is playing either
    12 Team H2H Keep 4

2 C, 4 W, 4 D, 2 UTIL, 2 G
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, FW: W, SV%, GAA

C: Barkov, Eichel
    W: Connor
    D:
    G: Sorokin
    ​IR:
    NA:

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Good thing you didn't take Wedgwood.

Quote Originally Posted by janneywheels View Post
    Good thing you didn't take Wedgwood.
    Yep.

Very happy with the young Boston combo so far. With both of them & Kahkonen as minors eligible I'm pretty well covered for now, and for the offseason, as I should have some good options.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

and according to some Bruin fans you have their tandem for next year �� (I don't see that happening, FYI)

Quote Originally Posted by janneywheels View Post
    and according to some Bruin fans you have their tandem for next year �� (I don't see that happening, FYI)
    Since I also have Halak, I think it's reasonable that it's Halak and one young guy. I think at some point next year it could be the two young guys, due to injury, etc. but it's a longshot that it's just them.