Thread: Advice on NHL Fantasy points scoring system?

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Advice on NHL Fantasy points scoring system?

Hey all
    I'm looking to start a league soon, it's a 12 team weekly H2H keeper league with a mini farm system (we keep 6 active and 8 minors, +2 actives if they were minor keepers last year) with a custom point system.
    The idea is to insert some advanced stats in the scoring system to increase the value of good hockey players and to make it more of a challenge. The scoring system I had in mind goes like this:

Capture1.JPG

Since I dont want to ruin the scoring system's balance either, I'd like to know what are you opinions and/or advice on this scoring system (if you have any).
    Thanks!

*Edit* Changed the picture since I tweaked the scoring balance a bit

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Advice on NHL Fantasy points scoring system?

Always appreciate the effort put in by someone to create their own custom scoring system. Kudos.

For sure I'd take the time to run both last year's stats and this year's stats through a program like Fantasy Hockey Geek just to get a sense if the "top" guys are still showing up as the "top guys". (You're ideally trying to avoid a scoring system that has Ovechkin worth more than McDavid... or maybe more apt, see what a guy like F.Vatrano scores with this and he's more valuable than a guy you'd consider to be top-100 then your values are off a little too much).

There's a lot here so I won't comment/nitpick on all of it - but rather offer my 2c of what I look at/consider before joining a league.

Q1: How are goals valued against assists?
    My ideal is that goals have a bit of extra juice to them - but I tend to dislike leagues that favour a 30-20 skater over a 15-45 guy. To me, 50 pts, even with most as G's, should be as valuable as a 60pt guy... (although I can accept that they'd be closer in value).

You have the following value for goals: 3(goal) + 0.5 (Shot on goal) = 3.5 (with the potential for +2 big goal and/or +5 if it's a hattie). That's a potential for a minimum 16.5 for a hattrick and possibly 18.5 or more if any were scored on special teams/game winner.

Compare that to the value for assists: 2 (primary) or 1 (secondary) *FWIW I like that little distinction in custom value but might shrink it a bit - say 2 vs. 1.5

Let's say my guys had 3 primary assists on your hattie. I'm scoring 6 (2 x 3) while you're scoring 16.5. (special teams vs. big goals even out at 2 apiece).

I'd personally be a little worried that this a bit too skewed towards shooters/scorers as ideally you'd shoot for a 3 assist night being around at least 1/2 of the value of a hattrick night (my personal preference).

Q2: Are the best goalies "around" the same value as the top players?

Again this is where running the numbers will help so much. Personally, I won't worry too much about a McDavid/Draisaitl outlier in a shortened season (or a Vasilevskiy outlier) but rather where does the "meat" of the "top players" grade out against the other position? (You'd do this for D-scoring too).

Honestly seems like your intention is already aware of this (wanting to keep things balanced) so feel free to disregard if you've already considered all this - it was just what came to mind when considering how to contribute to your question.

I'm sure some commishes can comment more thoroughly/accurately than I can on this - but those are my thoughts in case they help!
    Cheers -YL
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji

Dobber Sports Novice

Thanks for the comment!

I will run it through Fantasy Hockey Geek for sure, and in fantrax I can also "project" the data based on my scoring system so that is definately something I wanted to do. I will also look into shrinking the distinction between goals and assists as well although, as you probably noticed, i still want the scoring to favor the ones really working for their points (hence the Primary assist and Goals stackup). But yeah your simple example already shows me a bit of a flaw in the scoring system in regards to assists vs goals. I'll look into that for sure!

Thanks again!!

Dobber Sports Novice

Update:

The categories changed a bit.. and I might be near a sweet spot! haha here's how it looks now:
    01.JPG

I mostly replaced the Big Goals cat (which included GWG) with the STG cat and I swapped the Win cat for goalies with the Games Started cat which I feel depends more on the goalie and less on the team in front of him. Anyhow, here's what the top 13 skaters and goaliers look like with these settings:

03.JPG

02.JPG

Any thoughts?!

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanloupgp View Post
    Update:

The categories changed a bit.. and I might be near a sweet spot! haha here's how it looks now:
    01.JPG

I mostly replaced the Big Goals cat (which included GWG) with the STG cat and I swapped the Win cat for goalies with the Games Started cat which I feel depends more on the goalie and less on the team in front of him. Anyhow, here's what the top 13 skaters and goaliers look like with these settings:

03.JPG

02.JPG

Any thoughts?!
    This is exactly what I do when setting up a new league... figure out what it looks like on last years' stats and see if it makes sense.

I think the biggest thing that is questionable is the 60 point gap between the top skater and the top goalie.

But this is sometimes hard to accomplish when your top skater is McDavid.

So I would compare the #5 skater and the #5 goalie - and here there is still a 50 point difference. Which there is nothing wrong with if you are okay with goalies have a minimialized value in comparison to skaters.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Novice

oh thank you! I hadn't noticed the gap was that big! I do want a gap but a smaller one haha.. now I changed the scoring a bit again and I think I really am onto something!
    Thank you so much both of you!