Thread: Dylan vs Ryan Strome

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Dylan vs Ryan Strome

In a deep points dynasty league are we at the point where in a 3-4 year window, we would like Ryan Strome over Dylan Strome?

I can acquire Ryan for my Dylan. I have a young team but going to be going for it for the next 3-5 years as my young core comes in to prime.

I’ve always felt Ryan was settling in at 30-40 points until his late breakout with New York. Looks good now!

Dylan Strome has one really great stretch with Chicago and that was exciting. But he didn’t take the opportunity this year which is concerning, although Chicago was a hit of a dumpster fire for anyone except Kane ans debrincat.

Is the keeper league play to hold Dylan Strome and assume he will put it all together a little more as he plays towards 400gp? I feel like by the time he’s Ryan’s age he should have some better numbers.

Update***

The discussions have been evolving to the point where we are at a deal on the table of:

Dylan Strome
    Sam Reinhart
    Mackenzie weegar

For

Ryan Strome
    Jonathan Drouin
    Tom Wilson

The numbers say it’s a good deal for me but my gut tells me Weegar is solid and will stick around, Reinhart most reliable player in the trade and Dylan is more fun to root for than Ryan.

Is this an accept to get Ryan Strome and some solid rostered forwards?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: Dylan vs Ryan Strome

Great question! I have both Stromes. Dylan was one of my keepers last year (we keep 20), and I picked up Ryan in our free agent draft in the 7th round if I recall correctly.

I think a lot of people thought maybe last year was a flash in the pan for Ryan, but he has kept up the scoring this season so far. Of course playing with that Rangers offense helps, but he was able to keep getting on the score sheet even when Panarin was out (4 g, 5 a in 9 games). He will for sure be a keeper for me after this season.

As you said, Dylan did not grasp the opportunity this season. I've kept him for 3 seasons now. Last season was a mild disappointment after that first great stretch with Chicago, and I had high hopes for this season with Toevs and Dach out. He has no trade value in my league, and as of now I will be dropping him after the season. I'm pretty sure I can redraft him next season if I decide to with no problems.

Of course there are still a few weeks left in the season, but I don't have a whole lot of confidence in Dylan bouncing back, so give me Ryan!
    9 Team Dynasty Pool. 30 Players, 20 Active (12 F, 6 D, 2 G). 10 Reserves. 20 Roster moves allowed per season.
    Forwards Points Only, D Points, Hits, Blocks, Goalies Wins and Shutouts.
    Drop 10 players in the offseason for free agent draft before season.

Forwards: Barzal, Forsberg, Guentzl, Buchnevic, Barkov, W. Nylander, P. Kane, Crosby, Fiala, Zibanejad, Vrana, Zuccarello, Pavelski, Tarasenko, Kreider, B. Schenn
    Defence: Fox, Sergachev, Pietrangelo, Letang, Karlsson, Hamilton, Spurgeon, Sandin, Boqvist, Matheson

Goal: Hellebuyck, Campbell, Skinner, Murray

Dobber rankings make it look like a no brainer for Ryan Strome but I have such a hard time buying in to Ryan Strome beyond this season and possibly next.

But maybe the point is not to look too far beyond that..

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by jaga86 View Post
    Dobber rankings make it look like a no brainer for Ryan Strome but I have such a hard time buying in to Ryan Strome beyond this season and possibly next.

But maybe the point is not to look too far beyond that..
    I hear what you're saying, and felt the same way. I drafted him as an afterthought, just for some forward depth after the 59 points in 70 games last season. I didn't even have him in my active 20 man roster to start this season. But he's proven me wrong, and the ppg pace when Panarin was out has done a lot to convince me that maybe he's not the fantasy wash out I pegged him to be. He's under contract for one more season, so I think he'll be good next season too.
    9 Team Dynasty Pool. 30 Players, 20 Active (12 F, 6 D, 2 G). 10 Reserves. 20 Roster moves allowed per season.
    Forwards Points Only, D Points, Hits, Blocks, Goalies Wins and Shutouts.
    Drop 10 players in the offseason for free agent draft before season.

Forwards: Barzal, Forsberg, Guentzl, Buchnevic, Barkov, W. Nylander, P. Kane, Crosby, Fiala, Zibanejad, Vrana, Zuccarello, Pavelski, Tarasenko, Kreider, B. Schenn
    Defence: Fox, Sergachev, Pietrangelo, Letang, Karlsson, Hamilton, Spurgeon, Sandin, Boqvist, Matheson

Goal: Hellebuyck, Campbell, Skinner, Murray

Dobber Sports Initiate

They are both not drivers on their line, so at the moment it is Ryan. Next year same thing.

After that, only god knows!

Dobber Sports Stud

Assuming you're getting Ryan for Dylan without any sweetener - I think you take that deal.

For me, Ryan is the better asset - short term for sure and maybe longer term as well.

If you really don't believe in Ryan longer term (and I don't blame you as I was a non-believer in a repeat this year too) then you should still be able to trade him in the next 12 months for more than Dylan (which you paid to get him) - and that's ideal asset management in a dynasty.
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji

The discussions have been evolving to the point where we are at a deal on the table of:

Dylan Strome
    Sam Reinhart
    Mackenzie weegar

For

Ryan Strome
    Jonathan Drouin
    Tom Wilson

The numbers say it’s a good deal for me but my gut tells me Weegar is solid and will stick around, Reinhart most reliable player in the trade and Dylan is more fun to root for than Ryan.

Is this an accept to get Ryan Strome and some solid rostered forwards?

I prefer Ryan if you are going to compete, if the Dylan owner came to me offering him for Ryan I would not think twice about declining.

- - - Updated - - -

For perspective, while Panarin was out Strome was still producing and also logs heavy minutes for the Rangers.
    8 Team Keeper League
    Keep 35 at the end of the year+5 JR slots(can be kept for 3 yrs after draft or less than 10 NHL games)

Points(4) PIM(0.5) +\-(0.5) Wins(5) SO(5) GA(-0.5) Save(0.1)

Roster:
    17F
    8D
    3G
    12Farm
    5 JR spots

F: Landeskog Mackinnon Kaprizov Panarin Rantanen Bratt Buchnevich Hintz
    Kreider Svechnikov Marner T. Wilson Guentzel Rust Fiala Aho Meier

D: Carlson Toews Theodore Krug Klingberg Barrie Ekblad Weegar

G: Bobrovsky Saros Vasilevskiy

Farm: Hagel, Petersen, Yamamoto, R. Strome, Addison Bjorkstrand ,JEEK, Duchene, Hartman, Severson, Burakovsky ,Nicushkin, Barbashev

JRs: Bourgault L. Cormier Lambos Olausson Zellweger

IR: Couturier/Ellis

Ended up doing a pretty deep trade of some question mark players:

I received:

Ryan Strome
    Drouin
    Tom Wilson
    Sanheim

For

Dylan Strome
    Sam Reinhart
    Troy Terry
    Weegar

I think I did well. I enjoy rooting for Dylan and I like Reinharts consistency but overall I believe I’ve obtained the better overall asset package.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by jaga86 View Post
    Ended up doing a pretty deep trade of some question mark players:

I received:

Ryan Strome
    Drouin
    Tom Wilson
    Sanheim

For

Dylan Strome
    Sam Reinhart
    Troy Terry
    Weegar

I think I did well. I enjoy rooting for Dylan and I like Reinharts consistency but overall I believe I’ve obtained the better overall asset package.

Thoughts?
    Edit - mistook someone's league details for yours. So I'm changing my post.

Ryan > Dylan
    Drouin > Terry
    Wilson > Reinhart
    Sanheim < Weegar
    SalaryKeeper ROTO-Add/Drops/Trades require IRL $
    12 Teams - 32 Player Roster -20 Active - Min 5D to Max 7D - Min 11F to Max 13F
    16 Keepers (G=2 Keeper spots)
    83.5M Weekly AAV - Bench does not count towards salary cap

F/D: G, A, PPA, PPG, +/-, Hits, BLKS, Shifts (0.5), TOI (0.5), PEN
    G: GAA, Saves, SPCT, TOI, Wins, SO, OTL (0.5)

Roster
    F: MacKinnon, JT Miller, Kaprizov,
    E.Kane, Caufield, Eichel, Batherson, Malkin, Dach
    Kempe, Greig, Tolvanen, Zary, P.Kane, Foegele, Dowd

D: Theodore, Chychrun, Drysdale, McAvoy, Matheson, Okhotiuk, M. Roy, Fehervary, Perbix, Martinez, M. Anderson

G: Thompson, Vanecek, UPL, Lyon, Binnington

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Palefa View Post
    They are both not drivers on their line, so at the moment it is Ryan. Next year same thing.

After that, only god knows!
    I agree here. And when it comes to depth players I just want who is going to help me now. Not long term.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Is this points only, or are there various categories worth points in some manner?

If it's points only, I like it.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    Is this points only, or are there various categories worth points in some manner?

If it's points only, I like it.

Yes points only. Thanks for the feedback.