Thread: What do you make of Dawson Mercer? NHL outlook; lines and point production.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default What do you make of Dawson Mercer? NHL outlook; lines and point production.

Taking the last game out of it, Dawson Mercer had 18 points in his last 8 games, including two hat tricks over the past several games. To say Mercer has been on fire is an understatement. The NHL comparison has been that of an elite two-way player, because when you're compared to Patrice Bergeron and Jonathan Toews, how could you not go there. No, I am not suggesting Dawson becomes the next Bergeron and Toews, or else he would have gone higher. Much higher than 18. Even though some mock drafts, even scouts had him go as high as 12. Anyway, those were the players he was compared to, but hey Mikhail Grigorenko's game/style was compared to Peter Forsberg and Evgeni Malkin, so there's that.

One thing that stood out to me, beyond looking unreal during a injury/COVID-19 decimated Germany team at the World Juniors, and some highlight reel clips from the Q, is his hands. That kid has probably some of the fastest/smoothest hands in the entire 2020 draft class. New Jersey Devil fans have already likened him as their best prospect over their first pick from that draft, in 7th overall draftee, Alexander Holtz.

Is it fair to say he becomes a very good 2nd line forward who can play on the top line, and can be used the PP and PK. Put up 30 goals and 60 points? Or am I tripping on this kid, because he looks very good in the video I have watched. He does some crazy things with the puck close in, and can beat you in many ways.

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: What do you make of Dawson Mercer? NHL outlook; lines and point production.

I'd say your last paragraph is a good expectation for Mercer. It will depend on opportunity when he's ready but the skillset is definitely there for him to be a very good NHL asset. He's not a superstar, but should carve himself a nice career. That's what I foresee.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: What do you make of Dawson Mercer? NHL outlook; lines and point production.

So personally I'm a huge fan of him and his game - so I echo the excitement of his potential and did target him in all my dynasty drafts this year.

I think your 60 point average, 2nd line, 2nd PP and 2nd PK is about perfect for where I see him slotting in his prime too.

I see him as the next Justin Williams - a complementary top-6 who plays the 200 ft game well and allows the "stars" on his line to cheat a bit more offensively.

For those who only remember Williams as the captain of the Canes - a more recent comparable I see is A.Cirelli. (Though slightly more offensively gifted and slightly less defensively gifted).

For the record though I was also really big on B.Hayton during his draft year... so prospect guru I am not
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji

Dobber Sports Deity

It's way too soon to pass judgement on Hayton yet.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    It's way too soon to pass judgement on Hayton yet.
    Oh I agree Axe. I'm still a big believer in Hayton and buying where I can. Just being transparent that some guys I like aren't always the ones the masses do (or have soured on).
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Prospects are so hard to read sometimes.. But I think Mercer can turn into something very special!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..