Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: [Waived] Nikita Gusev

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: [Waived] Nikita Gusev

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Buyout and contract rules are different in the NBA. The Devils can't just independently put Gusev on unconditional waivers for the purpose of terminating his contract, and they aren't buying him out. Terminating a contract has to be mutual, which means the player has to chose to forfeit the money remaining on their contract. For Gusev that means he's choosing to forfeit roughly $1M hoping to sign somewhere else. As for the breach of contract, on those type of things the players union is incredibly strong and would fight that type of thing tooth and nail. It wouldn't be nearly that easy.
    But you're telling me a vet like Eric Staal wouldn't mutually part ways to sign a nothing deal with a team?

Think a vet like Perry can use this yr to get a large deal from a bad team next yr with a bunch of space. If the team sucks, mutually part ways and forfeit a bunch of money you were planning on not receiving anyways to go sign with a SC contender.

Player x would receive 3mill from SC contender.
    Player x would receive 5mill from bottom team.
    Player x signs with bottom team for $5mill, with the plan to part ways if they suck and forfeit 1mill. He now has made $4mill, and will make like $100k on a SC contender. I guess it's a gamble where you could be on a team like the Blues and they wouldn't want to part ways with you, but you can make that known at the beginning and you'll just sit out and force them too. Union might not like that tho.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    But you're telling me a vet like Eric Staal wouldn't mutually part ways to sign a nothing deal with a team?

Think a vet like Perry can use this yr to get a large deal from a bad team next yr with a bunch of space. If the team sucks, mutually part ways and forfeit a bunch of money you were planning on not receiving anyways to go sign with a SC contender.

Player x would receive 3mill from SC contender.
    Player x would receive 5mill from bottom team.
    Player x signs with bottom team for $5mill, with the plan to part ways if they suck and forfeit 1mill. He now has made $4mill, and will make like $100k on a SC contender. I guess it's a gamble where you could be on a team like the Blues and they wouldn't want to part ways with you, but you can make that known at the beginning and you'll just sit out and force them too. Union might not like that tho.
    There are lots of vets who you think would do stuff like that and don't. There are lots of vets who say they want to chase cups and then still sign the highest offer in the offseason. So I guess, yes, I'm telling you most vets would not do this. Not to mention, again, the PA would be VERY against any players doing this and would be applying extreme pressure to not do so.

And sitting out wouldn't force them to do that. They can suspend you and just not pay you. Just because you sit out it doesn't force them to terminate your contract, and if you just bail and sit out on your team how many contending teams are going to want to sign you after that?

I don't think Gusev just stumbled on some brilliant strategy here and now a bunch of guys in the league would be like "oh that's smart". This isn't a regular thing that happens for a reason.

Administrator

I wasn't referring to cases where players want to keep their contract. I was referring to cases where a player wants to go to a contender but might have an unappealing contract.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust