Thread: Draft strategy advice - deep league

The Wolverine

Default Draft strategy advice - deep league

Hey all,

My other league is drafting this Saturday and thought I'd pick your brains on last minute draft strategy. I'm pretty much ready, even though we won't know the draft order until the room opens up 30 minutes before it starts, but it's helpful to have others' feedback.

Here are the settings:

Yahoo, One year Roto, 20 teams (420 players drafted)
    Daily lineups, Max games/innings = 162/1250, No max moves
    C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, 3OF, Util / 2SP, 2RP, 3P, 5BN, 3IL, 1NA
    R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OPS / W, SV, K, HLD, ERA, WHIP (6 x 6)

I'm not looking for specific player suggestions or any detailed analysis (for the latter, free free though haha!) but more if there's anything you would be focusing on (e.g. roster construction, category balance etc.), any changes you might consider (or not) following a shortened season, etc. I've been in this league for several years with mixed results (best finish is 4th, worst near the bottom) so each year presents a new challenge.

I'll leave it there and see where the discussion goes. Over to you!

Thanks in advance.

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Draft strategy advice - deep league

It will be another interesting year. I dont think you'll see much difference from what we are expecting from the hitters but the pitchers could be another story. Last year, due to COVID, we saw a different approach from managers as to how they dealt with their rotations, primarily in the workload for their starters. I found last year, pitchers were getting pulled a lot earlier than normal and relievers coming in for longer stretches. It was rare to see a SP going deep into games so to say. I am curious if managers plan on going that route again, or if the will start to stretch their pitching staffs out again like we were used to pre-COVID. Certainly something to consider when drafting pitchers. Thankfully, IP isn't a stat you recognize.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Immortal

Saves and holds in a roto league!? Yuck.

I've never done a MLB roto league so I think that my strategy would be to not have one. Let the strategy come to you. So much is determined by who everyone else picks for baseball because of the numerous positions you have to fill.

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    It will be another interesting year. I dont think you'll see much difference from what we are expecting from the hitters but the pitchers could be another story. Last year, due to COVID, we saw a different approach from managers as to how they dealt with their rotations, primarily in the workload for their starters. I found last year, pitchers were getting pulled a lot earlier than normal and relievers coming in for longer stretches. It was rare to see a SP going deep into games so to say. I am curious if managers plan on going that route again, or if the will start to stretch their pitching staffs out again like we were used to pre-COVID. Certainly something to consider when drafting pitchers. Thankfully, IP isn't a stat you recognize.
    Yeah that's one thing I'm considering, especially since I've tended to be a more focused on hitters. Trying to have enough balance i.e. mix quality with 'safe' with upside, without sacrificing the offense too much. Obviously my draft slot could guide me in a certain direction on how I structure the team.

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Saves and holds in a roto league!? Yuck.

I've never done a MLB roto league so I think that my strategy would be to not have one. Let the strategy come to you. So much is determined by who everyone else picks for baseball because of the numerous positions you have to fill.
    Haha tell me how you really feel! Yeah I've been used to it, though tempted to make a suggestion to merge them in future. I like having a bit of a strategy without being too rigid, especially as I probably have to do more research than the average person because I don't watch the games.