Thread: Fwd Prospect Rank

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Fwd Prospect Rank

Points-only long-term upside, how would you rank these?
    Do you consider them to be in the same tier?
    I find it odd that Dobber's rankings for a player like Raymond would be so low. Is that because he's a little further from being NHL-ready compared to others?

Byfield
    Raymond
    Holtz
    Caufield
    Rossi

Cheers!

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Fwd Prospect Rank

Long term upside I have Byfield in one tier and then the other four close behind in a second tier. Raymond I think is a little lower because of the possible wait time on him, and maybe the lack of supporting talent in Detroit (though I don't know if Dobber accounts for that).
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Think it's safe to say caufield at the top

Dobber Sports Initiate

Caufield
    Byfield
    Raymond
    Rossi
    Holtz
    31 TEAMS keep all multi-cat (lot of them) dynasty
    Offensive stats : Goals, Assist , PPP, PPTOI, SOG...
    Defensive stats : PKTOI, BLKS, TakeAway, Giveaway...
    (basically best NHL player)

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Byfield
    Caufield
    Rossi
    Raymond
    Holtz

Byfield is going to pop soon. Next year or the following (at latest).
    He's looking really confident with his body & pace these days.
    He's been playing LW1 with Kopitar-Kempe for a while now.
    LA still doesn't have those big PP1 minutes for him yet... Arvidsson is there with K/K/F/Doughty.

In summer 2024, Arvidsson will be UFA and Byfield/Kaliyev/Durzi will all be RFAs getting raises, so Arvidsson will walk.
    And as Doughty ages out... Brandt Clarke will swing in and he'll be an absolute gem as QB with the LA kids.
    Kopitar will probably have gas to re-sign for age 35+ contract.
    But I expect to see Byfield do about 60-65pts next year and 80pts the year after, with an upside at 100pts.
    There's no reason he won't be Tage Thompson with more strength & dominance around the net.
    And with NHL-D getting smaller (as skating is key), it's going to play well for him matching up around the net.

I really like Caufield, but his game is a little less-dimensioned than a guy like Byfield who will eventually be able to Tage his way in close to the net-front.
    Caufield will outscore Byfield probably next two years - at maybe 70, 82pts... but I think his upside will stay at 85pts.
    I just don't see Caufield having a 5-on-5 game that will match Byfield. Caufield is gonna be a helluva PPP producer though.
    For SOG,PPP heavy leagues... I don't think it would be crazy to value Caufield over Byfield.

Rossi, I think, is still destined for MIN C1 or C2... probably C1 long-term.
    And with Boldy popping and Kaprizov there... having an assist-heavy slick-passer like Rossi is going to "fit".

Raymond has good all-around game - we'll see where he plays out. I think he'll be slow-rise 60/65/70/75/80 player.

Holtz will be solid too... though I haven't seen anything yet (from minimal NHL action).
    NJ is loaded for youth and may even run a 3F/2D PP1 unit going forward given they have Dougie, LHughes, and Nemec.
    So it's going to be really really hard to squeeze into PPTOI.
    For that, I have to put him last.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Byfield
    Raymond
    Rossi
    Caufield
    Holtz
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Star

Byfield
    Caufield
    Raymond
    Rossi
    Holtz

Holtz is last. You have to think that NJ will sign Meier and Bratt longer term, and they have the cap space next year to do it. If you take their current long term signees (Hughes, Hischier, Palat) and add Meier and Bratt, that leaves one more top 6 forward spot, for which Dawson Mercer is ahead of Holtz. Maybe they could have Palat play on line 3, but things appear to line up for Holtz to be on the outside looking in for the near term. With no access to PP1 in sight.

Rossi is next to last due to the lost year of development. It may come on the wing, but I still see him as a producer.

Byfield still has the tools to be a 100 pt guy, he's far too young to write off. Caufield seems more like a guy who will get more goals than assists. Which can still yield 45g 35a years. If this league weighted goals more, then there's a good argument for Caufield 1.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Hey thats fine and im on a rebuilding team so I kind of like Byfield more too but if you drafted tommorow caufield goes way above Byfield. If you're trading for caufield for Byfield you're getting a nice addition to the player.

Long term maybe Byfield better- im not even adverse to that but in any inaugural draft you'd have to be nuts to pass on Caufield.

Also as a big man I have to say I'm not nearly as co finest as you are that he's gonna "pop"- he could easily be a ppg player inside three years but thats probably three years of getting incrementally better. Even guys like barkov and Kopitar plateaud under a pog for a few seasons before they really stepped it up. As a fan and an optimist I think 55 points would be brilliant for Byfield next year...

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by PoolPartyPuljeejarvi View Post
    Hey thats fine and im on a rebuilding team so I kind of like Byfield more too but if you drafted tommorow caufield goes way above Byfield. If you're trading for caufield for Byfield you're getting a nice addition to the player.

Long term maybe Byfield better- im not even adverse to that but in any inaugural draft you'd have to be nuts to pass on Caufield.

Also as a big man I have to say I'm not nearly as co finest as you are that he's gonna "pop"- he could easily be a ppg player inside three years but thats probably three years of getting incrementally better. Even guys like barkov and Kopitar plateaud under a pog for a few seasons before they really stepped it up. As a fan and an optimist I think 55 points would be brilliant for Byfield next year...
    Caufield missed 51 games of 162 in 2 seasons...to me there is concerns that his frame will make him fragile...i still may take him ahead of Byfield next year in one year league but in 2024 or if im drafting new dynasty this year...im taking Byfield already....He is showing signs that the hype was fake but that big frame needs time.
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Padawan

Byfield

Caufield
    Raymond
    Rossi
    Holtz

Dobber Sports Sage

Points-only

Byfield/Raymond/Caufield- all are close. Byfield will be the most dominant player of the 3 but this is points only.

Rossi

Holtz
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov