Thread: Are you an expert? *Andy Sutton voice

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Are you an expert? *Andy Sutton voice

League in signature.

I have a minors spot open with the graduation of Hughes and Yamamoto. Already added Nils Lundkvist...so now the question is: Swayman or Dostal?

Keeper league - goalies graduate after 50GP. Cats are W, GAA, Sv% and Saves
    12 Team H2H Keeper
    4C~4LW~4RW~6D~2G~4 Reserves
    3 FA adds per week
    8 Keepers~10 minors
    IR
    10 Minors = Skaters <83 GP & Goalies <51 GP
    Categories: G~A~P~PPP~SOG~FOW~+/-~Hits~Blk~W~Svs~S%~GAA

C-Barkov~Zibanejad
    C/RW- Reinhart
    LW-B.Tkachuk~Kaprizov~E.Kane~Pacioretty
    RW-P. Kane
    LW/RW-Svechnikov~Fiala
    D-Makar~Fox~Dahlin~Bouchard-Hamilton
    G-Hellebuyck~Shesterkin~Ingram

MINORS:
    Forwards-Rossi~Pelletier~Holloway~Marchenko
    DMen-B.Clarke~Nemec~Nikishin
    Goalies-Wallstedt~Wolf~Dostal

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: Are you an expert? *Andy Sutton voice

Ugh, tough question. In the Dobberhockey Prospects Guide, both Dobber and Robinson have Dostal ahead of Swayman, but not very far apart. Both are 6-2 (I almost always defer to the bigger goalie).

Dostal will turn 21 in June and his numbers over the last 3 years for Ilves Tampere in SM-liiga are fantastic. His numbers in the AHL this year are just okay, a 5-6 record, 3.01 GAA and 0.914 SV%. He is receiving nearly all of the starts.

Swayman is 22 and had very good numbers over his three years in college for the U of Maine. His numbers in his first pro season in the AHL this year are stellar, sporting a 6-0 record, 1.50 GAA and 0.945 SV%. He is splitting time with the other Bruins prospect Dan "Darth" Vladar. The 23 years old has a record of 2-2-1, 2.01 GAA and 0.923 SV%.

The case against Dostal is that John Gibson is 27 and under contract for six more seasons. Rask is 34 years old and UFA after this season. I see Swayman being given the opportunity to take over the starting gig in competition with Vladar, who he is currently beating in a head to head match up in the AHL.

I would go with Swayman over Dostal, but they are very close in my opinion. Good luck with your decision.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Titan

Swayman may make his impact a little sooner, but I think Dostal is going to hit levels that Swayman never can.

Depends if you need the short-term impact, or want to wait a little longer for the bigger ticket.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    Dostal will turn 21 in June and his numbers over the last 3 years for Ilves Tampere in SM-liiga are fantastic. His numbers in the AHL this year (first year pro) are just okay, a 5-6 record, 3.01 GAA and 0.914 SV%. He is receiving nearly all of the starts.

Swayman is 22 and had very good numbers over his three years in college for the U of Maine. His numbers in his first pro season in the AHL this year are stellar, sporting a 6-0 record, 1.50 GAA and 0.945 SV%. He is splitting time with the other Bruins prospect Dan "Darth" Vladar. The 23 years old has a record of 2-2-1, 2.01 GAA and 0.923 SV%.
    Be very careful comparing AHL stats between players (especially goalies) this season. Providence is only playing Hartford and Bridgeport this season. The leading scorers for those teams are Simon Holmstrom, Samuel Bolduc, Dmitry Timashov, Jonny Brodzinski, Morgan Barron, Tim Gettinger. San Diego is playing against all of Bakerfield, Henderson, Ontario, Colorado, Tucson. Those teams have quite a bit more offensive firepower than either of Providence's opponents.

With that said, it's a coin flip for me. I think both Dostal and Swayman will become NHL goalies. I also believe they both have the potential to be above average starters. Swayman is likely to get a chance sooner but he is also competing with Daniel Vladar who's been an AHL goalie for a few more years and will likely get the first NHL chance. If Vladar runs with it, Swayman is stuck for a while. Dostal does have to deal with Gibson but there's no other prospect goalie in Anaheim with an NHL chance.

If I had to choose one, I would go with Dostal.

Dobber Sports Jedi

for me Dostal. going to become a beast.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4