Thread: Thoughts on 1981 Playoff Game - Edmonton at Montreal

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Thoughts on 1981 Playoff Game - Edmonton at Montreal

I just finished watching one of those NHL Classics on Sportsnet and love that it fits into a 60-minute slot. The game was from the 1981 Playoffs Preliminary Round Game 2, Edmonton (#14 seed) at Montreal (#3 seed). I have no doubt that I watched this game on TV back in 1981, but it was so long ago that I don’t remember any details from it.

It was nostalgic to listen to the play-by-play calls of Danny Gallivan. The two-line pass was still illegal (changed in 2005) and there was still touch icing.
    Edmonton had won Game 1, 6-3 with Wayne Gretzky setting a new (at that time) record for most assists in a single playoff game. This was a fun game to watch as the result was in doubt right up until late in the final period.

Oilers goalie Andy Moog was outstanding in the game, making 40 saves, several of them of the highlight reel variety. Moog was only 20 years of age back then. I was amused at how small the goalies looked. Part of it was that they were literally smaller than todays goalies, Moog was listed at 5-foot-8, 165 lbs, but clearly the equipment has gotten so much larger over the last 40 years (oh man, I am so old). Richard Sevigny was tending the twine for the Habs. He was decent in this game, but let in a bit of a softie on a snap shot by Paul Coffey from just inside the blue line that probably shouldn’t have gone in.

For Montreal, the two players who really stood out were Guy Lafleur and Larry Robinson, who were 28 and 29 years old respectively. Lafleur was a threat on nearly every shift and a treat to watch with his flowing locks free from the confines of a helmet. There were about half a dozen players playing without lids. Fun note, Craig MacTavish was the last NHL player to play in an NHL game without a helmet – in the 1996/97 season.

There were some good to great players on this Montreal team in addition to Lafleur and Robinson: Bob Gainey, Steve Shutt, Rejean Houle, Rod Langway, Pierre Larouche, Keith Acton and Doug Risebrough were players I noticed.

Of course, I’m a life long Oilers fan and have followed the team closely since they joined the NHL in 1979/80. This series against Montreal was their first NHL playoff series win. They went on to lose in the next round to the New York Islanders, who would go on to win their second of four consecutive Stanley Cups.

Back to the game, of course Gretzky (19 years old) and Jari Kurri (20 years old) were dominant, threats to score on nearly every shift. Kurri had a fantastic breakaway goal with only 5:31 remaining to seal the victory, set up of course by Gretzky. It was just magic watching those two play together.

Finnish defenseman, Risto Siltanen was one of the Oilers I had forgotten just how good he was. Fantastic skater and he scored with a blistering slapshot to the top corner from just inside the point.

Other Oilers I hadn’t thought of in some time included Stan Weir, Gary Unger and Dave Lumley. Fun note, the very next season, Lumley would score goals in 12 consecutive games, an Oiler record that still stands today. One of my favourite players of all time is Glenn Anderson and he showcased his trademark speed and drove the net fearlessly. It was also interesting to watch him and Mark Messier, both 19 years old, knowing the success that was to come.

I have a Calgary-Edmonton playoff match from 1983 in the queue next. Should be fun to watch the original Battle of Alberta...again!
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: Thoughts on 1981 Playoff Game - Edmonton at Montreal

Thanks for this Russ, I really enjoyed it. Made me feel like I watched it. As if Andy Moog was only 5-8 165. I’m literally the exact same size and can’t imagine being an nhl goalie! Insane.

What a time it was back then. I’m impressed at some of their shots with wooden sticks. They can zip it.

Looking forward to the next one.