Thread: Backstrom vs Harding

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Backstrom vs Harding

I read that they are suppose to split starts 50-50 next year (from the Minneapolis star-tribune). What do you guys think ? I was hoping 35 wins from Backstrom but im not sure anymore...
    Roto league $$$, auction league, limited keeper max 3 years
    G, A, Sog, Pim, Hits, +/-, Stpts
    Wins, Gaa, save%

12 forwards
    5 def
    3 goalers
    10 utility

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re:Backstrom vs Harding

Minnesota has a history of using goalie tandems quite successfully. In the past they usually ended up with a 1a and 1b with 1a getting 60-65% of the starts and 1b getting 30-35%. To ease Harding in, they will likely slot him in as 1b and then (as usual) go with the hot hand all year long.

So, both goalies should put up good GAA and SV% numbers but neither will eclipse 30 wins, IMO. Maybe 15-20 for Harding and 25-30 for Backstrom.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Man, that scares the hell out of me.
    .. having picked up Backstrom last year :woohoo:
    Fantasy Hockey
    Buy It Now Fantasy Hockey Guide and WIN Your Pool

Dobber Sports Icon

I\'ve been fairly negative about backstrom for a while now... I really don\'t think that he\'ll play more than 60 games the next two seasons before being supplanted with harding. The kid is their future and they\'ll bring him along at a slower speed since backstrom is good, but to me backstrom is nothing more than a stop gap (like huet, and thomas) while the youngster improves.
    12 Team Dynasty League w/ Salary Cap (Updated: 3/23/2011)
    (CBS Sports Commissioner's League)
    Maximum Salary Cap: 70.5 million
    Roster Limit(s):
    Total: 23 + 2 available IR slot
    Active: C, C, C, W, W, W, W, D, D, D, D, G, G
    23 + 1 Man Roster (69.62 million) - 17 Keepers
    - Crosby (IR), Carter, Tavares, Duchene, Anisimov, Desharnais
    - Ovechkin, Giroux, Downie, Hall (LTIR), Tanguay, Samuelsson, Whitney, Justin Williams, Zuccarello
    - Green, Phaneuf, Doughty, Letang, Carlson, Karlsson
    - Price, Halak, Neuvirth, Varlamov
    Scoring Setup: W, L, GA, Saves, SO
    G, A, PIM, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, SOG, GWG, HT, FOW

Dobber Sports Stud

Hello Duff \'et al\'

I agree with Lanky. I am not sure about the number of games that Backstrom will play but am certain that Harding will be the starter within a year. Backstrom will be moved on because of his contract. Harding is going to be a very good goaltender.

My thoughts.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Backstrom is a fantastic goalie, and I highly doubt he is moved before his contract runs out. I see the games being split 55/25 or 50/30 this season, though. Backstrom will be near the top of the league in all categories, except for W and GP. Harding is a future star as well, but the Wild aren\'t going to make a rash decision because he may or may not be ready.
    Follow me on Twitter: AngusCertified
    Check my blog out: Angus Certified

The King of Diatribes

Both goalies are fantastic ... but they are also very different in style. This is what I love about the \"goaltending duo\" ... such unique chemistry and pairings call for really interesting conversation ;P

There are many pros and cons for Minnesota to go with EITHER goalie, but I think the Wild coaching staff have been quite set on \"playing it by ear\" and \"seeing who runs with it\" so to speak. I have a real hard time saying \"Backstrom is going to get xx starts and Harding is going to get xx\" because it will simply depend on their performances.

But Backstrom is not a streaky goaltender. He\'s solid to the core. He\'s very calm and laid back in net and he never wastes energy on displaying emotions. His butterfly style is \"minimal movement, minimal energy wasted\" and I definitely believe he can (and will) play 60+ games this year. That being said, Josh Harding is in a similar situation to Mike Smith in Dallas. Harding is sensational, young, full of energy and vigor but has such little experience at the NHL level that it remains to be seen whether or not he will supplant a #1 goaltender. Harding has a SLIGHT edge on players due to the fact his glove is on his right hand -- hardly any NHL shooters know even know who he is, so Harding definitely fools players at this point in time.

We are also familiar with a long string of rookie goalies that come into the league, play between 5-10 games with INCREDIBLE numbers and then when it comes time to take on the bulk of a season, or even half of a season, they level out and begin to tire down and come down from the clouds.

I bet that Backstrom plays 60+ games and they \"ease\" Harding into a greater role by giving him a 20+ game season. If Backstrom starts to falter, Harding will get his chance. I don\'t see Backstrom falling off anytime soon, however.

Post edited by: TheHockeyGuild, at: 2007/08/29 19:20

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I see backstrom doing great but they will let him rest since he has never played more then 51 games in a season. I think Backstrom will only get better with a little bit of rest though. I see him playing atleast 60 this season. The Wild like to get the most bang for their buck. Thats why when healthy Demitra doesn\'t leave the ice.
    Go with Backstrom.
    Z.
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..