Thread: Buy low on Eichel?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Buy low on Eichel?

I’m currently sitting in first in my 10 team league (details in signature), and am looking to set my team up for a playoff win. I picked up Kreider as a streamer last week to fill in for Larkin, who got injured. Kreider did his thing and is now tied for 5th in the league in goals. I’m completely full on my team now, with no streaming spot and nobody who I think is a solid drop candidate. I had Kreider last season for the last third to half the season and he was point per game+ over that stretch with great PIMs to boot, so this doesn’t seem completely unsustainable. I know the Eichel owner in my league is shopping him. Does it make sense to offer Kreider, possibly packaged with Fiala and see if he’d send me Eichel for that? Or is Eichel just going to continue what he’s doing and will end up doing more harm than good on my team? I’d basically be gaining Eichel and a streamer spot and dropping Larkin altogether. Thoughts?
    Yahoo 10 team H2H league (1 year)
    Positions: 2C, 4W, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 4BN
    Forward Categories: G, A, P,+/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, FW
    Goalie Categories: W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: A. Matthews, A. Kopitar, V. Trochek
    W: P. Kane, B. Tkachuk, J. Guentzel, E. Kane, T. Hall, T. Hertl, T. Teravainen
    D: D. Hamilton, V. Hedman, A. Pietrangelo, Mike Reilly
    G: S. Varlamov, R. Lehner, P. Grubauer
    IR: J. Eichel

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Buy low on Eichel?

There is zero chance that Kreider and Fiala would even get his attention. You have Matthews, ask yourself if Matthews would be having a down year and someone offered you what you want to pay, what would you think? Be honest with yourself now. You would laugh.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Agreed, but this manager is a stat head, not a hockey guy. Name value has significantly less value to him than production. And in a vacuum, Eichel is pretty bad this year, and the sabres as whole are worse. He made the offer of Eichel for Forsberg to another manager. The other guy is in last though, and can't just sacrifice someone who is top 20 in the league this year, he needs production now, which Eichel just isn't giving. The Eichel owner is 4th overall, and is trying to set himself up for a run, but without the cushion I have. Is it unlikely? yes, but not as unlikely as you'd think. Remember, to someone who isn't into hockey, Eichel is a sub-ppg player with 2 goals, mediocre FW and a god awful +/- on a bad team who has actually gotten worse as the year has progressed. Hell, in my keeper league I have Eichel and I have to keep reminding myself what he did in the past few years, 'cause it's awfully tempting to shop him.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

you have 3 pure (C)enters and you want 4th from slumping Buffalo? You will get many overlapping starters.

The Great One

Kreider is shooting 27% - that is not sustainable. Get what you can - if it's Eichel that may be a win. Its a one year league and Eichel may well suck for the rest of the season...
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I made the offer last night and I guess he accepted as soon as he saw the injury announcement. Oh well, could still end up a win for me. I now have a streaming spot again, got Larkin back from injury, picked up Rakell for the week and have Eichel stashed on IR in the hopes he comes back, (gets traded and) starts performing In time for playoffs.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Araziza View Post
    I made the offer last night and I guess he accepted as soon as he saw the injury announcement. Oh well, could still end up a win for me. I now have a streaming spot again, got Larkin back from injury, picked up Rakell for the week and have Eichel stashed on IR in the hopes he comes back, (gets traded and) starts performing In time for playoffs.
    That's pretty lame. A good commish should cancel that trade. That is much different than vetoing.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Araziza View Post
    You did Kreider for Eichel straight up?
    I can't believe the league didn't protest. It's not like Eichel is out long term
    One Year. 11 teams. Points only. G=1. A=1. GWG=1. W=2. SO=3
    8 F, 4D, 2G. 5 drops all year. ***NO BENCH, NO IR, SWAP D for D, F for F, G for G ONLY***
    F: P Kane, Wheeler, Kucherov, Malkin, Batherson, Crosby, Eichel, Point
    D: Carlson, Q Hughes, Barrie, Karlsson
    G: Demko, Ullmark

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I did Kreider and Fiala for Eichel. He may very well be out long term. Even if he isn’t it’s a distinct possibility (probability?) that he basically sucks the rest of the year. Buffalo is BAD, and as they have played themselves out of
    a playoff spot already there is no incentive to rush Eichel back. Kreider is arguably a better asset this year. Heck, he was one of my better players last year for a good 3rd of the season, and I came in first. Fiala has pretty decent potential as well. I think this ends up being a coin flip, and there’s no reason to argue with that. Even the responses I’m getting here are split as to whether this ends up sucking for me or is outright thievery that should be cancelled. As far as I’m concerned, the league should only veto in a situation that looks like collusion, and with both of us in the top 6 (playoff spots), there’s nothing about this trade that suggests that. I’m doing this because I can afford the risk while I’m in first, I trust my ability to play the wire, and I hope it pays real dividends come playoff time.

The Great One

Eichel's neck is bothering him. He'll be back by this time next week. As the guy getting Eichel I would absolutely not want the trade reversed. Nor should any league do that - once the trade has been accepted. If the other GM accepted the trade AFTER the injury news without asking you if you still wanted to go ahead with it, that's BS. Not sure where this one would fall. But like I said, given Eichel is out short term I'd still want to complete that one.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Yeah, I’m not upset about it. And I’m actually acting commissioner for the year, as the regular one didn’t want to manage the league in a COVID year, so I could have done something if I thought it was really out of line.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I like the trade. You get what should be the best player for when you need him. I always look ahead to the playoffs to see who and how much a team is playing (Edm with 2 games in week 1 of playoffs)
    12 team pts league. G(1pt), A(1pt), PPP(1pt), SHP(1pt), GWG(1pt), W(3pts), SO(2pts)
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 4F, 4D, 2G, 4Bench, 2IR
    Keep any 5 max 3 years

C - McDavid, Backstrom, Tavares, Couturier, Trochek
    RW - Pavelski, Fiala, E. Lindholm
    LW - Landeskog, Palat, E. Kane, Robertson
    D - Hedman, Yandle, Fox, Provorov
    G - Lehner, Rask, MAF, Talbot