Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Yahoo Public League Veto/Protest

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Yahoo Public League Veto/Protest

As I've mentioned I got weak right before the season and joined a Yahoo public league.

Has anyone joined one of these? If so have you ever had Yahoo veto a trade on behalf of one members protest???? Because that just happened and I'm pretty furious.

It's only a $20 league and I'm kicking butt, but I just didn't even know that this was possible. No explanation was given by Yahoo.

The Wolverine

Default Re: Yahoo Public League Veto/Protest

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    As I've mentioned I got weak right before the season and joined a Yahoo public league.

Has anyone joined one of these? If so have you ever had Yahoo veto a trade on behalf of one members protest???? Because that just happened and I'm pretty furious.

It's only a $20 league and I'm kicking butt, but I just didn't even know that this was possible. No explanation was given by Yahoo.
    Never joined one and never will. This is one of the reasons. What was the deal? There must be a way to contact them about it?

Dobber Sports Immortal

Here's the note from Yahoo from their Help section.

blic Prize League managers have 2 days to lodge an official protest with the Yahoo Sports League Office. Protests must contain a description of why the trade should be vetoed. Only 1 manager needs to protest a trade in a Public Prize League for the League Office to initiate the trade review process:

Reviewed within 24 hours, after the 2-day league review period.
    Notes left by managers involved in the trade are taken into consideration.
    Once the trade is accepted or rejected by the League Office the decision is final and explanations aren't provided.

The Wolverine

Here's the note from Yahoo from their Help section.
    I hate arbitrary vetoes with no explanation. That's pretty poor from Yahoo. But I figure that they have this rule in place to prevent obvious collusion, which they cannot prove of course. I would hate a 3rd party deciding deals for me.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Never joined one and never will. This is one of the reasons. What was the deal? There must be a way to contact them about it?
    This was the Eichel for PLD/Muzzin trade I mentioned a few days ago. Believe me I'm not proud of it but there have been worse deals in leagues with +/- as a category.

The Wolverine

This was the Eichel for PLD/Muzzin trade I mentioned a few days ago. Believe me I'm not proud of it but there have been worse deals in leagues with +/- as a category.
    The thing is, the other manager agreed so it shouldn't be vetoed. Yahoo is simply looking at perceived value and making an arbitrary decision on which deals are allowed to go through and which are not. I wonder where's the line between acceptable and not?

Dobber Sports Immortal

The thing is, the other manager agreed so it shouldn't be vetoed. Yahoo is simply looking at perceived value and making an arbitrary decision on which deals are allowed to go through and which are not. I wonder where's the line between acceptable and not?
    And that's the fundamental veto problem. One of the worst parts is that it's not like a notification was sent to the owners allowing anyone to explain or justify..

Gah. Lesson learned I guess.

Dobber Sports Deity

I would never join a money league without knowing the people in the league but that's just me.

There should have been an explanation as to why the trade was vetoed other than that blanket statement.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I would never join a money league without knowing the people in the league but that's just me.

There should have been an explanation as to why the trade was vetoed other than that blanket statement.
    I know. I said I got weak ok. Lay off me

Dobber Sports Padawan

Think of it this way. You just gained a valuable learning opportunity.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by snipshow101 View Post
    Think of it this way. You just gained a valuable learning opportunity.
    Very true.

I'm also mad because I made a waiver claim assuming I'd be making a 2 for 1 trade and I used FAAB. Now I likely have to drop that claim.

The Wolverine

Now make sure you win it.

Dobber Sports Stud

The only time a Veto should be used is if you see blatant collusion where the trade makes zero sense. And this tends to happen in money leagues as people form voting blocs and make handshake deals.

If you see the worst team in the league trading prime McDavid for waiver scraps to the 2nd best team in the league, you know something is up. but it is hard to prove.

Had a similar thing happen 5 or 6 years ago. Had to go searching for the post I made about it

Quote Originally Posted by J0e Th0rnton View Post
    Yeah, its a one year league with guys at work.

They have different ideas of what is okay than I am used to in any other league I have played in.

The long and short of it is, apparently one of them thought it would be funny to Trade Seguin for Monahan when Seguin had 34 points and Monahan 14 and the guy getting Seguin was already 1st overall from the guy who was near last. They say it was a joke now to get people talking. But at the time, they were selling it as serious, and at the time, the commish had given us the impression we needed 7-8 votes to veto. A few people at work approached me claiming those guys had some handshake deal to split the cash, but I don't like talking behind people's backs.

I put out a public post about how one sided and team stacking it was to do that trade in a money league and they argued with me relentlessly in posts that I was biased and it was a fair trade until it was Vetoed. I was the 3rd guy to complain about that trade to the commish, but the only one who did so publicly because I feel you are supposed to be open with objections and not quietly message friends to veto, which I consider collusion.

Since then, we now know it only takes 4 votes to veto and everything since has been vetoed. 2 of them have admitted to vetoing trades such as Keith(On IR at the time) for Couture(On IR), and they even vetoed my 4th goalie for another guys worst forward. When asked, they pretty much refuse to give reasons for the veto, merely claiming it is not fair when they admit it at all.

I put out another little blurb on the message board saying sorry to the innocent people trading with me getting screwed over because of being the only one willing to publicly call out that Seguin trade(At this point, they had not publicly called it a joke) and one of them wah wah'd about being accused of conspiracy, saying "this is too much drama for a fantasy league" and that he just did not think my trades were fair(But still flat out refused to say why a backup goalie for worst forward was not fair). Around this point, I received an anonymous email claiming they had formed a "Big brother" alliance to veto everything. Whether someone is trying to stir the pot with me, or is genuine, who knows.

A week later, I talked with another guy(Let's call him ZZZZZ) at work who said it was all supposed to be a joke and that he was just trying to push buttons with that Seguin trade. He decided to show me texts to show there was no alliance of veto votes. Well, the first text I saw was "XXXXX and YYYY want us to veto it with them, but I don't know I agree since I feel J0e loses that trade by a tad" and it went from there(this was the league co-commish too). All that showed me was 2 of them were quietly texting friends collusion style to acquire veto votes instead of doing it publicly as is required. It also showed me they did not care if the trade was fair or close to fair and that they would veto anything they felt improved someone's team even marginally.

The best part is "XXXXX" is the guy who got uptight about being accused of conspiring, but he was the first one sending texts between his friends only to get them on board with a veto. To me, that is the definition of conspiring. The other funny part is, one of their little group of text buddies is one of the guys who first approached me on facebook saying they had a handshake deal.

When I brought that up with him, he simply responded by saying "There will always be kliq's in these sort of pools and nobody can tell me otherwise". I was met with fierce resistance when i suggested changing to commish ruling, even though our commish is actually fair(But now I have doubts about the co-commish)

In any case, I won't be playing next year with these guys unless it changes to commish ruling.

It was made clear that Veto was to be used only if collusion or very one sided trades were being made, and now they are using anonymous veto to veto completely even trades. The guy who showed me the texts just told me that is par for the course in the work league and never going to change
    #1 Yahoo Keep 5, 14 teams
    C, C, RW, LW, F, F, D, D, D, Uti, G, G, BN, BN, BN, BN
    G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, FOW~W, L, GAA, Sv%, saves, SO

McDavid C
    , Kadri C, Zibanejad C, Mackinnon C, Boldy LW/RW, Backlund C, Duchene C/RW, Fantilli C, Batherson LW/RW, Forsberg LW, Zegras C IR, Mintyukov D, Dunn D, Seider D, Hellebucyk G, Kochetkov, Bobrovsky G

Dobber Sports Immortal

Now make sure you win it.
    That's the plan.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Is it wrong of me to have an evil smile with Eichel being hurt now?