Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Tom Wilson slams Brandon Carlo's head into the boards...

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Tom Wilson slams Brandon Carlo's head into the boards...

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    Anyone who is complaining about what happened last night has evidently never played this game at any reasonably competitive level. Wilson deserved the fine for punching Buchnevich but I get it. The rest of it was all heat of the moment scrum stuff. Panarin should probably realize he does his team more good by not going after Tom Wilson here. That was stupid. As has been said, this is a player with a history of being dangerous. Wilson had no idea who he was throwing around and didn't care. There is absolutely nothing suspension worthy here.
    so yesterday you slam Don Cherry and today you become Don Cherry....well done.

your comment is as much of a joke as NHLs decision...
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Icon

As much as I think Tom Wilson crosses the line way too much and he actually enjoys hurting people and likely should not still be in the NHL, the NHL DOPS hands were tied on this one. Nothing he did was a suspendable offense so they could not suspend him.

1) Falling on a guy's head
    2) Punching a guy in the head with your glove on - this happens multiple times every game
    3) Punching a different guy in the head with your glove on - see #2
    4) Punching a 3rd guy in the head with your glove on after he literally jumps on your back - see #2 & #3
    5) Throwing a guy who jumped on your back to the ground and then lifting him up and throwing him back down - getting suspended for this would be the same as getting suspended for punching a guy too hard in a fight, Panarin started this engagement and Wilson finished it so you can't suspend a guy for defending himself

With that said the NHL DOPS is still terrible and Tom Wilson should probably not still be in the NHL but I can completely understand this decision making process.

Administrator

I used to get caught up in suspension verdicts. Not anymore.

The league wants this, otherwise it would have been fixed by now.
    The players want this. While sometimes they speak out against bad plays, they don't actually fight for this. The NHLPA only wants players to get the money they are owed. Suspensions get in the way of that.

This is what they want. They can have it.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Belexus75 View Post
    so yesterday you slam Don Cherry and today you become Don Cherry....well done.

your comment is as much of a joke as NHLs decision...
    Can you explain in what way I became Don Cherry?
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post

The players want this. While sometimes they speak out against bad plays, they don't actually fight for this. The NHLPA only wants players to get the money they are owed. Suspensions get in the way of that.

This is a really good perspective.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post

Maybe you are right, or maybe it’s a mentality to assist in coping with the reality of the situation. I’m trying to apply your perspective to where I work and it doesnt fit. When things happen at work that put future paychecks in jeopardy people speak up and want change to protect that future income. Yeah there are people with higher risk tolerance but the majority prefer the safer route.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by audiopile View Post
    Maybe you are right, or maybe it’s a mentality to assist in coping with the reality of the situation. I’m trying to apply your perspective to where I work and it doesnt fit. When things happen at work that put future paychecks in jeopardy people speak up and want change to protect that future income. Yeah there are people with higher risk tolerance but the majority prefer the safer route.
    Yeah and righteous indignation is way more satisfying than being realistic about it. I'd be curious to know how things that happen at your work that put future paychecks in jeopardy relate to the nature of professional hockey...

I'll take my answer on the air.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Prodigy

The bigger issue is that ESPN and the other US networks the NHL so desperately wants to access, always show the Tom Wilson stuff. The PTI show never talks about hockey but they did today and the subject matter was Tom Wilson. If you are from the school that all publicity is good publicity then I guess all is good but most of us who love hockey think these kind of stories just hold hockey back. I agree with an earlier poster in that if the NHL wanted this stuff gone, it would be gone.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Brad View Post
    Fair. But those who ignore history are condemned to repeat it. The NHL doesn’t protect players, hasn’t protected players, and won’t protect players from Tom Wilson. How’s that?
    I agree with that. I tweeted out today that the problem with the NHL is that the fans care more about the players' safety than the NHL does. This will only change when it cost them money, either by fans not spending any more money or advertisers pulling their money. Neither are going to happen.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by audiopile View Post
    I have no idea what any of this means or how it relates to my post. I'll assume you meant to quote someone else and move on with my day.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Veteran

The Rangers have called for Parros to be removed as Head of Player Safety

Dobber Sports Monster

wow, this is crazy

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Ninja

When I watched this, I was hoping that when Strome saw Wilson strike the Rangers player, instead of trying to gently pull him off, he should have dropped his gloves and sucker punched Wilson in the side of the head and kept punching until the linesmen pull him off. I know that's a bit extreme, but Wilson is a big guy who Strome likely couldn't match in a fair fight - Wilson doesn't deserve a fair fight after his track record. Strome would have likely gotten 20 games or so, but maybe the Rangers lawyers could appeal it down to 10 or 12 games with the same argument that they are making in the above post.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    I agree with that. I tweeted out today that the problem with the NHL is that the fans care more about the players' safety than the NHL does. This will only change when it cost them money, either by fans not spending any more money or advertisers pulling their money. Neither are going to happen.
    That’s a matter of perspective. Looking at NHL ratings and how much of a niche it is, and how quickly it’s losing ground comparatively to actual major sports, I think you could easily argue it is costing them money, both in fans and in advertising

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    That’s a matter of perspective. Looking at NHL ratings and how much of a niche it is, and how quickly it’s losing ground comparatively to actual major sports, I think you could easily argue it is costing them money, both in fans and in advertising
    I agree with this. Incidents like what happened between New York and Washington is impacting ratings and costing money. Mind you, Bettman preferred a half full building in Atlanta with no one watching on tv to a full building and everyone watching on tv in Winnipeg so who knows what is going on in the NHL boardroom.