Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Tom Wilson slams Brandon Carlo's head into the boards...

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: Tom Wilson slams Brandon Carlo's head into the boards...

Legal hit, bad result (injured player) and if Wilson gets a suspension, it will be his history (no benefit of the doubt) and the result of the play that get him his game(s). While I don't like players getting hurt, I don't think that hit warrants a suspension. Wilson "had" to fight twice to answer for that hit - I'm sure he didn't mind fighting in that blowout of a game though.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    Five games ago, Wilson had this late hit (video below). I blame the DOPS. If they had suspended Wilson at the time, maybe even for one game or two, then he probably doesn't do this again so soon after, especially considering he's already been suspended numerous times, including a 20-game suspension (later reduced to 14 games).

+1 agree here
    24 team cap league, HTH Pts. 25 PLAYER ROSTER C3/LW3/RW3/F3/D6/G1

G & A = 1PT.
    HT.BLK.PIM.SOG.=0.05 / PPP=0.5/ FOW=0.01/ +/- =.25
    W=2 SHO=3 SV=0.1 GA=-1 OL=1 SHL=1

Connor - Barkov - Ehlers
    Hagel- Couturier - Tarasenko
    Frederic - Tyler Johnson - Nichuskin
    Vatrano - - Guriano

Dobber Sports Guru

Seven games for Wilson.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Seven games for Wilson.
    Kinda shocked. Haven't seen one that long in a while.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Seven games for Wilson.
    Easy call. You can't slam a guys head into the glass and get away with it. Pretty obvious really.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Seven games for Wilson.
    In a 56 game season, that's the equivalent of a 10 game suspension.

Dobber Sports Deity

I'm fine with the suspension because he's a piece of shit, but I still didn't think it was an illegal hit. Whatever.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Godin View Post
    Easy call. You can't slam a guys head into the glass and get away with it. Pretty obvious really.
    This was 1 game. Good times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyJB42HY_J0

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    Legal hit, bad result (injured player) and if Wilson gets a suspension, it will be his history (no benefit of the doubt) and the result of the play that get him his game(s). While I don't like players getting hurt, I don't think that hit warrants a suspension. Wilson "had" to fight twice to answer for that hit - I'm sure he didn't mind fighting in that blowout of a game though.
    There are no suspensions for legal hits. This hit wasn't legal. The length of the suspension is related to player history. But the fact he was suspended is unrelated to his history.

I have the feeling that nobody actually watches DOP videos that explain why players get suspended, or why they don't.

The Great One

Oh I watch them and they are bull shit. Based on every video and explanation I’ve watched this year the Wilson hit should not have been a suspension. In my opinion all three of the hits I posted previously should have been suspended. But based on rule interpretation of “principle point of contact” or “head snapping back” or any other crap they come up with they were not. Wilson’s hit was no different. They can make a case either way at their whim and they got all chubby over this one. The DOPS is a complete joke and as I said, is actively making the game less safe.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    This was 1 game. Good times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyJB42HY_J0
    I'd rather the one arm slam from Weber than the body of Wilson.

This was as black and white as they come. The view from behind the glass was telling.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    There are no suspensions for legal hits. This hit wasn't legal. The length of the suspension is related to player history. But the fact he was suspended is unrelated to his history.

I have the feeling that nobody actually watches DOP videos that explain why players get suspended, or why they don't.

https://www.nhl.com/news/capitals-to...es/c-322207478

"Wilson did not receive a penalty. Carlo left the game and was hospitalized for an upper-body injury; he was released Saturday."

"While there are aspects of this hit that may skirt the line between suspendable and not suspendable, it is the totality of the circumstances that cause this play to merit supplemental discipline," the Department of Player Safety explainer video states"

So what the "totality of the circumstances that cause this play to merit supplemental discipline" means to me is that if Carlo wasn't hurt on the play (or came back to play in the game) and it was levelled by a player not named Tom Wilson, the hit may not have been suspendable. I realize that the outcome was brutal, but when DOPS has to preface a suspension with what I've quoted, it tells me that had the "victim" not been hurt so badly and the perpetrator someone other than Wilson, we wouldn't be talking about a 7 game suspension. It was a reckless hit with a bad outcome.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    https://www.nhl.com/news/capitals-to...es/c-322207478

"Wilson did not receive a penalty. Carlo left the game and was hospitalized for an upper-body injury; he was released Saturday."

"While there are aspects of this hit that may skirt the line between suspendable and not suspendable, it is the totality of the circumstances that cause this play to merit supplemental discipline," the Department of Player Safety explainer video states"

So what the "totality of the circumstances that cause this play to merit supplemental discipline" means to me is that if Carlo wasn't hurt on the play (or came back to play in the game) and it was levelled by a player not named Tom Wilson, the hit may not have been suspendable. I realize that the outcome was brutal, but when DOPS has to preface a suspension with what I've quoted, it tells me that had the "victim" not been hurt so badly and the perpetrator someone other than Wilson, we wouldn't be talking about a 7 game suspension. It was a reckless hit with a bad outcome.
    That's a dumb preface by the DOPS. They are basically saying that if Carlo wasn't hurt, then there is no suspension. So because Carlo went to the hospital, it's a 7 gamer but if he didn't, it's not suspendable? Really? There's no inbetween 0-7? Why don't they just say it's ok to hit someone in the head as long as you don't hurt him? SMH.

Dobber Sports Icon

One must remember that Gary Bettman is a lawyer first and foremost. When the DOPS speaks, the first goal is to make sure that their decisions are not overturned in an appeal. The words they said are nothing more than that so you should not read into the comments too much.

The hit from Wilson was illegal in a lot of ways. It was a high stick, it was a rough and it was boarding and none of those can be argued. Did it also break rule 48, hit to the head? I would say it did but this could be questioned as the initial point of contact (note, I did not say main point of contact) was the shoulder. Because of this, the NHL DOPS wanted to avoid the suspension being overturned so they chose to say it was a boarding penalty and Wilson was suspended for that reason.

Had Carlo not gone to the hospital or had Wilson, who's been suspended 4 times previously and fined at least two other times for dangerous hits, not been the hitter, would another player have been suspended? Hopefully, but you know what else is true? Had Wilson not attempted to injure a defenseless player by smashing his head into the glass, Wilson definitely would not have been suspended.

Dobber Sports Immortal

I suspect Wilson might be getting some more getting after what he did to the Rangers tonight.