Thread: who is timo Meier?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default who is timo Meier?

what happened to this guy?
    stormed in the league as a top 5 fwrd prospect here at DobberHockey....now he seems to be an after thought?

what is his real 3 yr Projection points wise? how many goals?

is he overrated?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: who is timo Meier?

good example of the psychological bias we have for "what have you done for me lately"

He's 24 years old on a bad team, former 9th overall pick, and has already shown he can score (66 pts in 78 gp two seasons ago).

this year his shooting percentage is half what it normally is--just that correction would be 8 more points bringing him to 32 pts in 39 gp... a 67 pt pace.

I still see him as a 65 pt guy with upside to hit 70-75 in a good year. Curious to hear what others think.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by silkysmooth View Post
    good example of the psychological bias we have for "what have you done for me lately"

He's 24 years old on a bad team, former 9th overall pick, and has already shown he can score (66 pts in 78 gp two seasons ago).

this year his shooting percentage is half what it normally is--just that correction would be 8 more points bringing him to 32 pts in 39 gp... a 67 pt pace.

I still see him as a 65 pt guy with upside to hit 70-75 in a good year. Curious to hear what others think.
    LMFAO! I came in to say exactly what you said! He's shooting at 6.9% (before last game) but his shots on goal track for 250 over 82 games. The last time he hit 250 SOG he had 30 goals. Only thing has changed is his usual 11-12 percent shooting percentage has taken a dip. As the aforementioned poster said, that correction alone sees him producing closer to his 19/20 season. Also, good players on bad teams can struggle.. look at Hertl's numbers as well. Everyone has been struggling. Kane is the only one who's putting up career best point-per-game totals and even he has trailed off a bit.

Timo Meier has the combination of good size, speed, and good shot. Think of Matt Duchene's production over the past dozen of years and you have Meier. On occasion he'll flirt at a point-per-game but usually be counted on to produce around 60 points per season. He also gets a good amount of hits... 100-150 per season. And can rack up the PIMS on occasion, in lower levels he got more mins in the sin bin than games played and in his last post season had 34 in 20 games. But during the regular season his highest PIM total was 52. Still, that could go up. Long story short, depth leagues that count hits and PIMs, he has added value.

Dobber Sports Stud

Having a look at Frozen Tools, under his 3 year average (82 game pace):

26 goals
    35 assists
    250 shots
    135 hits
    41 blocks

So, very good multicat-ness.
    I feel like if he was given more ice time, those totals would budge up even more.
    Also, his power play point totals are lacking, averaging 13 over the past 3 seasons. If I'm not mistaken, he's a PP2 guy... I'd love to see a bump to PP1.

Looking at this, I'd be interested in acquiring Meier. He's already a strong multi-cat asset. If he starts getting more TOI and is bumped to PP1, he becomes very valuable. Plus, I don't see him declining anytime soon as he is 24 years old. He's on his way up in that sense too.

The only wrinkle is the aging team around him. If the Sharks fire sale in the off season (for example), he won't have much talent to play with. But on the other hand, that would most certainly bump him to PP1 and give him more ice time...
    20tm UFA/RFA dynasty

Cats: G, A, SOG, STpts, +/-, hits/bs, GAA, Sv%, W+SO