Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Flames fire Ward, hire Daryl Sutter

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: Flames fire Ward, hire Daryl Sutter

I think this will work out just fine for the Flames. They needed a different voice and I like these old school coaches. I hope the team reacts well to the coaching change, just not too well to take out the Oilers in the playoffs...if both teams make the playoffs.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Titan

Sutter is Treliving's 5th head coach...

Woah.

Honestly, I don't think Sutter is a 2021 NHL head coach, however, he'll hold players accountable for their efforts. He'll want players to fight for their wins. If they don't, then they won't play. And Calgary's issues aren't talent in the top lines, their production needs to improve for the team to improve and Sutter can get that on track.

Short term, good hire. He'll right the ship to a point. Star players will start to improve. Long term, I don't think he can coach a modern game, unless he's changed. I don't get the 3 season contract tho

Glad Treliving fired the HC even after a 7-3 win. I hate when a GM gives a coach an extra game because they won one, especially one they should win.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

And all of a sudden the high-scoring North Division just got a little less high-scoring!

"Not for one shift, second, minute, anything," Sutter said. "Every team I've ever coached, I do not pull the goalie.
    Did y'all know this about Sutter? I never did. He does not pull the goalie. Maybe that is why Quick was such a battler back in the day!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Ace

Figures. Most stats suggests that pulling your goalie, even earlier than normal, can work.

Sutter says "NEVER!"...
    H2H Dynasty, 16 Team Salary: G, A, PPP, SOG, Hits, BKS, SHTOI, W, Sv%, Saves, GA%, (4C, 4RW, 4LW, 6D, 1G)

C: Crosby, Malkin, Larkin, Hartman, McBain, Joshua
    RW: Rantanen, Konecny, Strome, Batherson, Zetterland
    LW: Buchnevich, Ehlers, Marchessault, Bertuzzi, Acciari
    D: McNabb, Ferraro, Hakanpaa, Lyabushkin, Samuelsson, Bernard-Docker, Emberson
    G: Merzlikens, Daccord, Samsonov
    Prospects: Kurich, Lucius, Pelletier, Cristall, Yurov, Beckman, Brisson, Dean, Phillips, Poitras

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Did y'all know this about Sutter? I never did. He does not pull the goalie. Maybe that is why Quick was such a battler back in the day!
    I cant say I ever noticed that about Sutter and his teams before. Interesting strategy. Not sure I agree with it, but interesting none the less.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Massive statistical article comes out 4yrs ago about when you should pull your goalie when down x number of goals.

Sutter, "that article was written on a computer, not old enough for me".

---EDIT---

wait, he meant like replace with the backup. NVM the above.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Massive statistical article comes out 4yrs ago about when you should pull your goalie when down x number of goals.

Sutter, "that article was written on a computer, not old enough for me".

---EDIT---

wait, he meant like replace with the backup. NVM the above.
    Yes...even if Markstrom lets in 7 goals on only 6 shots... he is not going to pull him.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​