Thread: My Bergeron for his Varlamov? (will rep)

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default My Bergeron for his Varlamov? (will rep)

My goalies are not the greatest, I'm pretty deep at center, and Bergeron isn't even really impressing me. FA is devoid of any forward talent (except maybe Vatrano at this point), and I'd probably just take Motte off IR and ride the dead spot for a bit. Varlamov carries injury risk, and Sorokin has already been picked up, so I'm playing with fire a bit. Would you do the trade?

Thanks!
    Yahoo One Year League, Weekly H2H Category
    Start: 3C/3LW/3RW/5D/2G
    Categories: G/A/P/PPP/+-/SOG/PIM/HIT/BLK; GS/W/SV%/SO

C: Zibanejad Suzuki Jenner Couturier
    LW: Kaprizov KConnor Pacioretty Huberdeau
    RW: Pastrnak Debrincat Rakell Lafreniere
    D: Josi Werenski Theodore Weegar Nurse Martinez Romanov
    G: Vasilevskiy Daccord Lyon
    IR+: Bedard

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: My Bergeron for his Varlamov? (will rep)

Where are you in the standing? You should analyze in which categories you are good, in which you are not. If losing a player like Bergeron wont hurt you that much then I would pull the trigger and get Varlamov.
    Devils & Predators fan

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by insertnamehere View Post
    My goalies are not the greatest, I'm pretty deep at center, and Bergeron isn't even really impressing me. FA is devoid of any forward talent (except maybe Vatrano at this point), and I'd probably just take Motte off IR and ride the dead spot for a bit. Varlamov carries injury risk, and Sorokin has already been picked up, so I'm playing with fire a bit. Would you do the trade?

Thanks!
    I dont quite understand how Bergeron isn't impressing you? In a H2H league like yours, he's just as valuable as any of your centers. I'll tell you who isn't impressive in your setup and that's Larkin. The only thing he's doing right is SOG. Any chance you can move Larkin here, or someone else?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I dont quite understand how Bergeron isn't impressing you? In a H2H league like yours, he's just as valuable as any of your centers. I'll tell you who isn't impressive in your setup and that's Larkin. The only thing he's doing right is SOG. Any chance you can move Larkin here, or someone else?
    Bergeron started off strong, but February was awful and he's not performing like he did last year. I don't want to trade Trocheck; he's too valuable in our format. The Varly owner wants a center, and in a perfect world, I'd trade him Kopitar, but the owner doesn't want him. Sadly Larkin is untradeable (I've tried everything, closest I got was covid Konecny), but he's too good to drop with so many players rostered in our league. I've buried Larkin on IR and I'm hoping Motte comes back sometime soon so I can keep him there until Bertuzzi comes back to hopefully breathe some life into him.

j0hn_d0e--I'm in 4th in the standings right now, on my way to 3rd after this week. I'm in the top 3 in all skater categories except PIM and ±. i'm second last in every single goalie category, except SV% where I'm .003 from also being in second last. My goalies are sinking me.

Dobber Sports Deity

In my opinion, if you do this trade, I'd say you are going to plug one hole and create another one. I guess it depends on how much faith you have in your other centers. Talbot JUST got back from Covid so it's no wonder your goalies are sinking you.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    In my opinion, if you do this trade, I'd say you are going to plug one hole and create another one. I guess it depends on how much faith you have in your other centers. Talbot JUST got back from Covid so it's no wonder your goalies are sinking you.
    That's fair, I'm definitely aware of that. If I could convince him to take Kopitar would you do that deal or hold the line?

Goalies available in free agency worth considering are Rinne, Demko, Murray, Jones, and Bernier, but none of those really inspire confidence.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Bergeron started off strong, but February was awful and he's not performing like he did last year. I don't want to trade Trocheck; he's too valuable in our format. The Varly owner wants a center, and in a perfect world, I'd trade him Kopitar, but the owner doesn't want him. Sadly Larkin is untradeable (I've tried everything, closest I got was covid Konecny), but he's too good to drop with so many players rostered in our league. I've buried Larkin on IR and I'm hoping Motte comes back sometime soon so I can keep him there until Bertuzzi comes back to hopefully breathe some life into him.

j0hn_d0e--I'm in 4th in the standings right now, on my way to 3rd after this week. I'm in the top 3 in all skater categories except PIM and ±. i'm second last in every single goalie category, except SV% where I'm .003 from also being in second last. My goalies are sinking me.
    Alright. So at this point you have to make that kind of a hockey deal in order to strengthen your goaltending. Thers no other way around...
    Devils & Predators fan

Dobber Sports Padawan

People completely underestimate the value of goalies in fantasy hockey. People always say "Oh, there's ~6 skater cats and only ~4 goalie cats, so skaters are more important". Well consider that you start ~10 skaters for 6 cats and ~2 goalies for 4 cats, and you realize how much of an impact one goalie can have on your team.

Goalies are the most important position in fantasy AINEC. Bergeron is a lot to give up for a goalie with injury risk and a young superstar in the making backing him up, but you have to do it. You won't win without above average goaltending.

Dobber Sports Veteran

That's fair, I'm definitely aware of that. If I could convince him to take Kopitar would you do that deal or hold the line?

Goalies available in free agency worth considering are Rinne, Demko, Murray, Jones, and Bernier, but none of those really inspire confidence.
    I agree with what Axeman is saying. The thing is that is never easy to make a trade involving a top forward and a top goalie. The goalie will cover you just 3 categories most of the time while the forward will give you stats in 9 categories. I think that Kopitar and Bergeron should be pretty similar in production for the rest of the season. Like I said before, u should analyze where exactly is your problem. Is it worth it to giva a top center for a goalie or just stream starts for the next 2-3 weeks and see what is the balance sheet.
    Devils & Predators fan

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by snipshow101 View Post
    People completely underestimate the value of goalies in fantasy hockey. People always say "Oh, there's ~6 skater cats and only ~4 goalie cats, so skaters are more important". Well consider that you start ~10 skaters for 6 cats and ~2 goalies for 4 cats, and you realize how much of an impact one goalie can have on your team.

Goalies are the most important position in fantasy AINEC. Bergeron is a lot to give up for a goalie with injury risk and a young superstar in the making backing him up, but you have to do it. You won't win without above average goaltending.
    Absolutely. Sometimes you clearly have the better skaters than your opponent but it happens that you are losing all 4 or 5 goalie stats. Your 10-15 skaters are dominating compared to your opponents and you win 6-2 there BUT he wins all the goalie stats and suddenly you are losing the week just because 2 players(goalies) on your team are not performing well. These kind of things happens... But you could stream start for a while and be good. That could be a recipe for success short term but long term you should have at least one solid goalie on your team.
    Devils & Predators fan

Quote Originally Posted by j0hn_d0e View Post
    I agree with what Axeman is saying. The thing is that is never easy to make a trade involving a top forward and a top goalie. The goalie will cover you just 3 categories most of the time while the forward will give you stats in 9 categories. I think that Kopitar and Bergeron should be pretty similar in production for the rest of the season. Like I said before, u should analyze where exactly is your problem. Is it worth it to giva a top center for a goalie or just stream starts for the next 2-3 weeks and see what is the balance sheet.
    We have 35 moves for the season and I've used 21 at this point so streaming goalies isn't an option. We can use 3 per week and I'd like to conserve 9 for my playoff run. Between Bergeron and Kopitar I think they can contribute to 5-6 categories (G/A/P/PPP/SOG, and maybe BLK to some extent), and Varlamov would be a huge boost for 3-4 goalie categories. In our pool I'm much more likely to find a promising forward in FA than a goalie.

The Wolverine

You say that your goalies are sinking you, but you are about to move up to 3rd. That tells me you're winning most of your matchups anyway, am I correct? And Talbot is back. If so, then you may not need a big change, rather a tweak to improve the balance.

Also it still seems like there are stopgaps for goalies but not much for skaters, if Vatrano is amongst the best options available? How often do you start Iafallo? If not often, then with GS as one of the categories then I would be tempted to pick up Bernier for starts and keep your strong offense intact. Just an idea. SO is a rare category on a weekly basis so really only 3 goalie categories compared to the 9 skater ones, with GS as one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    You say that your goalies are sinking you, but you are about to move up to 3rd. That tells me you're winning most of your matchups anyway, am I correct? And Talbot is back. If so, then you may not need a big change, rather a tweak to improve the balance.

Also it still seems like there are stopgaps for goalies but not much for skaters, if Vatrano is amongst the best options available? How often do you start Iafallo? If not often, then with GS as one of the categories then I would be tempted to pick up Bernier for starts and keep your strong offense intact. Just an idea. SO is a rare category on a weekly basis so really only 3 goalie categories compared to the 9 skater ones, with GS as one of them.
    I'm 4-2 right now and two of the victories were landslides so that helped. So far I've won by sheer volume of starts, since I tried to target teams with good schedules (as much as I could). Vatrano just got picked up, and I don't have to bench Iafallo often because LA has a great schedule. If I don't do the trade Quick is my drop; if I do the trade then I just empty my IR slot and ride the dead spot for a while, or pick up... Eller or Arvidsson? It's not great.

Sorry everyone, I really do appreciate the help and I'm not trying to argue any which way. You're all making excellent points and I'm just getting all the info out piecemeal in the worst way imaginable. But let's be honest, no one comments on posts that start with walls of text...

I've opted to keep my skaters and focus on GS while punting W and SV%, so I dropped Quick for Murray and will maybe drop Petersen for Bernier next week (I don't want to run 4 goalies). Thanks all for your help, and rep has been handed out where able (I still can't rep you Axeman, I'm sorry!)