Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My Brady for his Marner?

Dobber Sports All-Star

Default Re: My Brady for his Marner?

He said PP points Marner around double.... But you never know. Meaning maybe Brady can get more than half of Marner's PP points a some point in the future. Maybe once the young Ottawa roster matures.

You really got a hard on for Marner over Brady lol.....
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by snipshow101 View Post
    Nope

Marner - 58 SOG / 23 games = 2.52 SOG/G
    Brady - 108 SOG / 25 games = 4.32 SOG/G
    I was talking career numbers. I have a hard time believing that Brady is going to fire 4+ shots on net. That is ovi territory and he’s really the only one in recent memory who shot like that. And even he didn’t do that every year.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by HRM Fantasy Fan View Post
    I agree normally about +/- but in this situation you can definitely consider it and marner will win this stat easily. Likely be a 40 plus swing.
    I said he would win. All I'm saying is it's a widely inconsistent stat that is not worth putting too much weight on. You don't trade to improve your +/-.

You really think Brady is going to be close to marner in ppp? Like really? Come on man.
    What? Re-read what I wrote:

Quote Originally Posted by snipshow101 View Post
    PPP again, Marner. Maybe around double but you never know.
    Stop extrapolating my guy.

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    I guess this is why I posted this debate.

Is it better to have an elite producer who will likely be great in 2 or 3 hard to come by stats.

Or to have the guy that has a very good chance at winning me 2 categories every week.
    It's a great debate. My opinion is that consistency is key. The only stats that are truly consistent week-to-week are hits and SOG. G+A+PPP can have hot a dry spells, +/- is ridiculously dumb. SOG and hits are generally constant. Brady is the king of consistent categories.

BTW I don't own Brady in my leagues. I just wish I clued in earlier

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Wonko View Post
    He said PP points Marner around double.... But you never know. Meaning maybe Brady can get more than half of Marner's PP points a some point in the future. Maybe once the young Ottawa roster matures.

You really got a hard on for Marner over Brady lol.....
    I think it is the other way around about these guys for Brady. Even by what they say marner is still the better guy as he wins more cats but somehow Brady is better. Don’t see it. Hits are a dime a dozen. You win these leagues by winning the scoring cats not hits and marner is just objectively the better player for scoring.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I have a hard time believing that Brady is going to fire 4+ shots on net.
    Completely disagree. He put up 3.64 per game last year and is only getting better.

I think it is the other way around about these guys for Brady.
    My picture is literally a leafs logo.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    I guess this is why I posted this debate.

Is it better to have an elite producer who will likely be great in 2 or 3 hard to come by stats.

Or to have the guy that has a very good chance at winning me 2 categories every week.
    Yes it is better to have an elite guy to put up the harder to find stats. Than a guy who could win you one and be a crutch in one the +/-

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I agree +/- is a dumb stat but in this case you can count on marner to be elite in that cat and Brady to be really bad in that cat. Can’t just say throw it out.

The Great One

I'll take Marner and find hits elsewhere

Dobber Sports Genius

Its easy to say find hits or other grinder stats elsewhere, but when you only roster 2 of each forward position and 4 D there really aren't many hitters worth rostering. There will be plenty available but they'll likely be liabilities everywhere else.

BT is only -4 so far so not a huge liability there, his scoring is decent and aside from him I'd say scoring is one of the strengths of your team anyway while his hits alone are the only thing making your team respectable in that category.

I like building balanced rosters and BT helps with that more considering the rest of your roster. I'd personally stick with what you have.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

The Wolverine

You mention the team totals but possibly more important is how you fare based on matchups in each category? Do you tend to comfortably win any of them or just scrape through? This decision is more than just the two players - it's about how you want to construct your squad and the ability to fix any shortfalls. It seems fairly shallow - 16 x 12 (192 players active?) - so maybe easier to fill the peripherals? However, Brady does have that offensive potential with strong SOG/Hits so it's not always as simple as that. It also depends on the other league managers and their tendencies.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Brady is unique. You already have your Marner on the team - Kaprizov is Marner 2.0. Tkachak will fill out the stats sheet like no other on your team. Keep Brady!
    Devils & Predators fan

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    You mention the team totals but possibly more important is how you fare based on matchups in each category? Do you tend to comfortably win any of them or just scrape through? es.
    The week I played a team with Mcdavid and Mackinnon I only won Shots by 3. Otherwise I have comfortably won shots and hits by 15 or more every week.

Dobber Sports Deity

Here's my thoughts on this.

Marner is what Marner is. He will never get better in the dirty cats that what we see today. He might get a slight uptick in shots from year to year but I dont expect him to ever get anywhere near Tkachuk for SOG.

The unknown for me comes with Tkachuk's offensive upside. Brady Tkachuk at 21 years of age hasn't even scratched the surface on his offensive upside, and Ottawa is an ever improving team. Do I think he ever matches Marner for assists? Nope. I do think he can be just as effective in scoring goals.

In a H2H setup like this, I'd keep Tkachuk. I do think there's still growth for Tkachuk in certain categories (goals, +/-, PPP). I am not sure I see much more growth for Marner. I am not saying Marner isn't a good player, but in this format, I prefer Tkachuk.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Ummmm. Hmmmm.

I have always felt BT and MT will never jump into the elite point producing category. Starting with BT at the draft, I felt like when Ottawa chose to keep the draft pick they were hoping for high floor, low ceiling in production.

I don't think BT has developed his scoring. I think he's become a leader though in that lineup, which the team needs. I feel like he's still going to be the guy we look back at that draft and say "man Ottawa could of had XXXXX or got Byram next yr".

In a banger fantasy league though. His SOG and Hits totals are category winning this yr. Looking back at his previous yrs, it's not a stretch to think this is who he is in those stats. In points, I do think he can jump once he's on a line with better players.

This is a team philosophy trade. I prefer to go for points than hits/sog. I think Marner is what he is in those hits/sog cats, won't change much season to season. It might game-by-game where he decides he'll shoot on the PP today. I think it's a wash of a trade. I think Marner holds more value, but I think BT is winning you categories every week on his on.

This is a "your team, and your philosophy" type of trade. I prefer Marner, I'd trade BT for Marner. But it changes the dynamic of your team for sure.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Here's my thoughts on this.

Marner is what Marner is. He will never get better in the dirty cats that what we see today. He might get a slight uptick in shots from year to year but I dont expect him to ever get anywhere near Tkachuk for SOG.

The unknown for me comes with Tkachuk's offensive upside. Brady Tkachuk at 21 years of age hasn't even scratched the surface on his offensive upside, and Ottawa is an ever improving team. Do I think he ever matches Marner for assists? Nope. I do think he can be just as effective in scoring goals.

In a H2H setup like this, I'd keep Tkachuk. I do think there's still growth for Tkachuk in certain categories (goals, +/-, PPP). I am not sure I see much more growth for Marner. I am not saying Marner isn't a good player, but in this format, I prefer Tkachuk.
    Do you know this is a one year league?