Thread: Which Defensemen to Keep? (REP)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Which Defensemen to Keep? (REP)

Hello Everyone!

My league is a keeper league based on player contracts. When a player becomes a UFA in the NHL they are thrown back into the draft pool. This is a 12 team, 27 man roster H2H league. Player categories are G, A, +/-, PIM, HITS, ESP. When it comes to defense, I try and stress HITS and players that wont hurt me in other areas. My forwards provide most of the scoring, but it always is nice to find a player that helps in all the categories.

I have 10 Defense and will need to get it down to 7. Below are players on my team and their contract. I have Josi, but will lose him at end of season unless I release him this week as 2021 contracts become guaranteed. Younger players don't have a contract date so typically you have them for at least 4 more seasons.

Sergachev (no contract yet)
    Muzzin (2024)
    Zadorov (no contract)
    Ty Smith (no contract)
    Trouba (2023 - on IR for now)
    OEL (2023)
    Josi (2021)
    Morrissey (2024)
    Nic Hague (no contract)
    K'Andre Miller (no contract)

Jake Bean is also on waivers. I am leaning toward making one of the three cuts Josi. He isnt helping me in many categories. His G,A,+/-, ESP were what made him great and now he is not doing much of that. He has played better the last week, but NSH is not a good team. Do I hold onto him for the rest of the year just to lose him or keep a younger prospect.

My team is currently in first place in my division.

So which three would you release?

Thanks for reading and for your opinions. Best of luck the rest of the way!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Which Defensemen to Keep? (REP)

The only guys I’d hate to lose are Miller, smith and Josi. After that makes no difference.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by HRM Fantasy Fan View Post
    The only guys I’d hate to lose are Miller, smith and Josi. After that makes no difference.
    i'd throw serg into that list too
    12 Team H2H Keep 4

2 C, 4 W, 4 D, 2 UTIL, 2 G
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, FW: W, SV%, GAA

C: Barkov, Eichel
    W: Connor
    D:
    G: Sorokin
    ​IR:
    NA:

Dobber Sports Prodigy

The key of course is the categories we use as its not just Points. I LOVE the FHG tool with Dobber and strongly recommend it.

Using FHG, the top 10 defense in my league right now are:
    Nurse, Faulk, Petry, Hedman, Muzzin, Gudas, Sergachev, Pionk, McAvoy and Dillon....

so on my team, Muzzin is 5th overall, Sergachev is 7th, Zadorov 18th, Smith 23rd, Trouba 24th - those 5 will be keepers i think...

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Sounds like you have already made your decision. No need to ask for advice then.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Any league where muzzin is a top 5 might need to reevaluate their scoring system.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by HRM Fantasy Fan View Post
    Sounds like you have already made your decision. No need to ask for advice then.
    Anyone remember when these forums used to be a place of good feedback and opinions? Now it seems like everyone just wants to just be snarky, not read the full question and base answers on their own league. It's disappointing.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by happypg View Post
    The key of course is the categories we use as its not just Points. I LOVE the FHG tool with Dobber and strongly recommend it.

Nurse, Faulk, Petry, Hedman, Muzzin, Gudas, Sergachev, Pionk, McAvoy and Dillon....

so on my team, Muzzin is 5th overall, Sergachev is 7th, Zadorov 18th, Smith 23rd, Trouba 24th - those 5 will be keepers i think...
    You literally said the key is knowing the cats. Like we didn’t see them and then said I used fhg so I will keep these guys. You had two guys who gave you their honest opinion and then you say this. So before you say remember when they weren’t snarky, maybe you should look at how you respond to the guys who take time to try and help you. You started the snarkiness.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

And for the record I wasn’t trying to be snarky. I was stating the obvious. You had already made your decision and were just looking for confirmation on your predetermined decision. Facts.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Not that you deserve it. But the reason I suggested those guys is scoring is always harder to come by than hits and blocks and whatever else. So always keep the scoring. I am sure blues fan was thinking the same as he agreed with me on who to keep. You saying we are basing our opinion on our league not yours is insulting. I’ve been here for 10 years I always have given my best advice.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by happypg View Post

I agree that FHG is a solid tool to use, but when looking at things like keepers, I like to go to the previous years or the 2yr average tool as well to see how they come out. This is a weird year so I wouldn't necessarily hang my hat simply on what you are seeing for this year. That being said, multicat guys are going to rank well in your setup. Like you, I like my D to produce in the dirty cats just as much, if not more, than offensively.

If it's me, Im keeping Josi. Morrissey and OEL could be cut but not sure on the third one.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Grand Master

First off, don't cut Josi. Worst case he should have some trade value if you are out of the running. If you cut him, you just give somebody a free boost, and lose him now instead at end of year. So how does that help at all?

I will try and evaluate these guys without +/-, as it's very wonky.

Keepers for me:
    Sergachev (no contract yet)
    K'Andre Miller (no contract)
    Ty Smith (no contract)
    Trouba (2023 - on IR for now)
    Muzzin (2024)

That's 3 young guys, and 2 veterans who bring a mix of scoring and other stuff.

Morrissey (2024) - used to be a big hitter, no longer, toss him back

That leaves us 2 spots between:
    OEL (2023) - Hits/Scoring guy
    Nic Hague (no contract) - Hits/PIM guy, but young.
    Zadorov (no contract) - Hits/PIM guy.

Of these, Zadorov is the grittiest, and OEL the least gritty. I'd probably keep Zadorov/Hague to get you to 7.

That means Morrissey, OEL & Josi will be gone at end of year, and you can trade whichever you want.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.