Gore
    Sixto
    JD Martinez
    Contreras
    Mountcastle
    Maeda

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: MLB Keepers

Sixto (phenomenal talent), Maeda (rock solid SP1), Muncy (2B eligibility, all-around guy) and probably Taillon's upside over JD's possible continuing struggles, although it's close for last pick.
    16 Team H2H Yahoo Keeper League; 30 men roster (and 20 combined IR; IR+; 5 NA spots)
    Starters: 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 2D, 4UTIL, 1G (2 starts per week required)
    Categories: G; A; P; +-; PPP; SHP; GWG; SOG, FOW, HIT / W; L; GAA; SV%; SHO

C: Barkov, Horvat, Cirelli (RW), Mercer (RW), Newhook (LW), A. Lowry, Hayton (LW), Dowd (RW), Rossi, Dellandrea (RW), M. Savoie
    LW/RW: A. Svechnikov, Guentzel, J. Robertson, E. Kane, Batherson, Bjorkstrand, Jarvis, Lehkonen, C. Brown, Vatrano, Peterka, Chinakhov, Balcers, Raddysh, Marchenko, Soderblom, Barabanov, Ohgren
    D: Seider, Dahlin, Heiskanen, Liljegren
    G: Hellebuyck, Saros, Ullmark, Wolf, Annunen

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Muncy - I like his multiple position eligibilty and he is great as a 2B... but you already have DJ. and Muncy had a rough 2020 season.
    Taillon - 'Sexy' option because he was once a top prospect and is now a Yankee but I think
    Gore - A top 10 prospect... its always hard to drop such a player... but remember when Taillon was a top 10 prospect... and now he is on the fence on whether you are even keeping him. No guarantees with prospects.
    Sixto - Another former top propsect - never as high rated as Taillon or Gore... but he is outperforming Taillon in the MLB.
    JD Martinez -Is the end in sight for this old-timer? 34 years old and last year was a brutal year for him... Maybe he gets passed over because of age and last years horrible year and you can get him in round 1 - depending when you pick.
    Contreras - Its always nice to keep a quality catcher when you have one... but is he worth keeping over these other guys?
    Mountcastle - I think he is too far down the top prospects rankings for me to keep him over enough of these players.
    Maeda - Pitching is always hard to come by... an he has RP eligibility right?

In a limited keeper - I am always going for the win. People often focus too much on the rebuild that it hinders them for too long.

Example - one guy in a keeper league has kept Kopech for several years. He was once a top prospect - now has has TJ and then sat out because of COVID... and after all this he is further down the prospect rankings and might not even crack the rotation in Chicago. Its always risky with prospects and it sometimes pays off...

Which usually seems to work out.. but sometimes I miss out on keeping a guy like Gore or Mountcastle in their breaking out party.

I don't like to keep players in a limited keeper that may not provide value for me this year.

Keep for sure:

- Maeda

Cut for sure:

- Mountcastle
    - Taillon

That narrows it down to 3 of these 5.

Muncy - I would keep him for his triple eligibility. I would cut him because he is best suited for 2B and you have DJ and Muncy had a rough 2020 season.
    Gore - I would keep him because he is a top prospect and could be an ace. I would cut him because there s no guarantee he helps me this year.
    Sixto - I would keep him because he is pitching in the MLB. I would cut him becuase he doesn't average a K per inning.
    Martinez - I would keep him because of his name value and history. I would cut him because of his age and a crappy 2020 season.
    Contreras - I would keep him because of catcher scarcity. I would cut him because he doesn't have the upside of Martinez or Gore.

Two strategies

1) Go for the win and have expectations of 2018-19 levels from Muncy, Martinez and keep the top 5 catcher. Go for the win this year.

2) Play the long game and keep Gore, Sanchez and Contreras.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Immortal

Thanks guys. Great response PH. Can't believe you went into such detail for a league that you're in! Haha

As a Gore owner in dynasty I was kinda disappointed that SD management let guys like Patino, Weathers and Morejon to try their stuff on MLB level before him even if SD was all about playoff push and it casts a little shadow on Mackenzie's window of opportunity. Maybe he was injured like Matt Manning, maybe he had some mechanical issues, so all that remains is to wait for his debut.
    16 Team H2H Yahoo Keeper League; 30 men roster (and 20 combined IR; IR+; 5 NA spots)

C: Barkov, Horvat, Cirelli (RW), Mercer (RW), Newhook (LW), A. Lowry, Hayton (LW), Dowd (RW), Rossi, Dellandrea (RW), M. Savoie
    LW/RW: A. Svechnikov, Guentzel, J. Robertson, E. Kane, Batherson, Bjorkstrand, Jarvis, Lehkonen, C. Brown, Vatrano, Peterka, Chinakhov, Balcers, Raddysh, Marchenko, Soderblom, Barabanov, Ohgren

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by townghost View Post
    As a Gore owner in dynasty I was kinda disappointed that SD management let guys like Patino, Weathers and Morejon to try their stuff on MLB level before him even if SD was all about playoff push and it casts a little shadow on Mackenzie's window of opportunity. Maybe he was injured like Matt Manning, maybe he had some mechanical issues, so all that remains is to wait for his debut.
    I agree. And I forgot to mention we do have a NA spot, but ya there is just no way he fits into their rotation this year.

Darvish
    Snell
    Lamet
    Paddack
    Clevinger
    Musgrove

Clev won't play this year after TJ, Lamet and Paddack can have their troubles too, but still I don't expect Gore to arrive before July-August if needed.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by townghost View Post
    Clev won't play this year after TJ, Lamet and Paddack can have their troubles too, but still I don't expect Gore to arrive before July-August if needed.
    This just proves how littles research I've done so far this year. You caught me.

It's OK, fantasy baseball with all its research depths goes hand in hand with Socrates dictum — "The more I know, the more I realize that I know nothing".

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Thanks guys. Great response PH. Can't believe you went into such detail for a league that you're in! Haha

Yes... talking out your keepers I was hoping would help me with my final ones.

I am up in the air over:

Syndergaard
    Rizzo
    Rutchsman

And which one of those three to cut.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Yes... talking out your keepers I was hoping would help me with my final ones.

I am up in the air over:

Syndergaard
    Rizzo
    Rutchsman

And which one of those three to cut.
    Aha gotcha. That's a really tough call. Way harder than mine.

Aha gotcha. That's a really tough call. Way harder than mine.
    No, I think yours was tougher. You had better options! and more options!

​​

Dobber Sports Immortal

No, I think yours was tougher. You had better options! and more options!
    Im still not sure how I won. Lucky finish for sure.

Im still not sure how I won. Lucky finish for sure.
    Got to be good to be lucky!!

I am hoping the league switches to a slow draft!

​​

Dobber Sports Immortal

Got to be good to be lucky!!

I am hoping the league switches to a slow draft!
    Oh man me too. Although it's far enough away that I should be able to get some solid research in.

But as for your original post, yes I love loading up on middle age good players in keeper drafts. You just know 2-3 teams will go for ALL young guys and they will suck for 2-3 years. Then there are teams who go for a mix of old and young.