Thread: Goalies Facing Each Other

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Goalies Facing Each Other

What’s the rule of thumb when you can play 2 goalies and they happen to be facing each other that day? Obviously you’re guaranteed a W with one, but does it depend on your leagues scoring system more than anything? Is it matchup dependent? Or do people mostly roll both without much thought?

Our goalies are scored H2H As follows:
    W 2
    Loss -1
    GA -1
    Saves .17
    Shoutout 3
    OT loss -.5

Driedger and Reims might be squaring off tonight.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: Goalies Facing Each Other

There are so many things to consider when goalies are playing each other.
    So I will just address my thoughts about your league.

Weekly H2H matchup - how often do goalies score a neagative total in game?

If if is seldom... then you have to start both guys in a game. You want to get the most points.

Unless you have a 3rd goalie that is also starting... Then you start the two best.

Lets look at the two outcomes:

1) Start the goalies playing each other

Winning goalie - 2 points
    Losing goalie - (1) points

Net points guaranteed 1

So you are only guaranteeing yourself 1 point by starting the two goalies from the same game.

2) Starting your 2 best goalies.

Chance both goalies win - 4 points
    Chance both goalies lose - (2) points
    Chance to get one win one loss - 1 point - same scenario as about.

So there is a swing of 6 potential points. so there is great risk... but there is also potential for great reward.

Other thoughts:

The above only takes into consideration the points for wins and losses.
    It does not consider the points for saves and goals against.

So starting your two best goalies whether they play each other or not should also result in more points for saves and less lost points for goals against.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Thanks for the insight! Sounds like youÂ’re advocating itÂ’s a little of both, matchup dependent and scoring system.

Reims is definitely someone who relies on wins for accumulating points. His GAA and Save % isnÂ’t stellar. I donÂ’t think he has that many negative games per se, but unless he wins itÂ’s pretty much 0 point outting (with a strong possibility of negative points). Is it fair then to say with someone like him that it comes down to will the team win their game that day? Personally I feel FLA is playing better than CAR atm so no, I donÂ’t think it would be wise to deploy him?

Dobber Sports Star

In the beginning of the year, I'd play my two best goalies. Later in the year, if the Wins category is tightly packed, I'd veer toward guaranteeing wins to get ahead of the pack.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Not to get super technical but you're not 100% guaranteed a win since there's always an injury risk.... But ya.

Earlier in the week I just play my best goalies. If they happen to be playing each other then I would start them. Later in the week if I need to take a risk then maybe I do things differently. It's all matchup dependent for me.

But Ned is playing tonight not Reimer so your decision is saved for another time.

Saw that just now. I do have Mrazek stashed for time being, so he may end up playing Driedger down the road.

Good idea about approaching it differently as the week progresses and needs change. Thanks!