Thread: Mission Impossible - My Keepers

Dobber Sports Genius

Question Mission Impossible - My Keepers

League in signature.

Roto league (for this year because of Covid) and my team is sitting in first with 144 out of a possible 156 points. I’m 15 points clear of 2nd place, so if I can get a jump on this decision, I’d like that. Maybe I do a couple 2-for-1’s with bottom team closer to our deadline.

How on earth do I go into next year choosing only 8 keepers? What strategy should I employ?

To me, the only for sure keepers are:

Brady Tkachuk
    Svechnikov
    Makar

I need 5 more from:
    Barkov
    Zibanejad
    Jack Hughes
    Ovechkin
    Patty Kane
    Carlson
    Hamilton
    Hellebuyck

Help please. Rep to all.
    12 Team H2H Keeper
    4C~4LW~4RW~6D~2G~4 Reserves
    3 FA adds per week
    8 Keepers~10 minors
    IR
    10 Minors = Skaters <83 GP & Goalies <51 GP
    Categories: G~A~P~PPP~SOG~FOW~+/-~Hits~Blk~W~Svs~S%~GAA

C-Barkov~Zibanejad
    C/RW- Reinhart
    LW-B.Tkachuk~Kaprizov~E.Kane~Pacioretty
    RW-P. Kane
    LW/RW-Svechnikov~Fiala
    D-Makar~Fox~Dahlin~Bouchard-Hamilton
    G-Hellebuyck~Shesterkin~Ingram

MINORS:
    Forwards-Rossi~Pelletier~Holloway~Marchenko
    DMen-B.Clarke~Nemec~Nikishin
    Goalies-Wallstedt~Wolf~Dostal

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: Mission Impossible - My Keepers

Hellebuyck should be a keeper; It is pretty much just him and Vask. as the top tier in goalies, so hold onto him.
    Barkov is young and starting to come into his own this year, I would say he should be a lock going forward also.
    It also could be because I'm a J.Hughes owner as well, but I would consider him a keeper going forward as well due to his huge upside/potential.
    I should also point out that you could likely be losing Kaprizov's minor eligibility. If you can keep him AND J.Hughes apart of the minor system, that would be huge, but I would almost consider Kaprizov a keeper going forward based on what we are seeing from him this season. He could be just as productive as J.Hughes for the next few years (but maybe not as much upside longterm).

P.Kane and Ovechkin are still top tier right now, but the longer you hold them for, the less return you'll get in years to come. You could always try to flip them for a younger skater who maybe isn't there yet, but could be... maybe Pettersson, Boeser, Aho, Rantanen, or Point? But you have to ask yourself if you are willing to hurt yourself this season when you are in the position to win it if you make the trade before it ends. If you can wait to move them in the offseason, that would be ideal.

Zibanejad, Hamilton and Carlson is where it gets tricky. Zib is having a huge off year, and could rebound, but unsure. Hamilton is doing alright, but his peripherals aren't quite there in a league that promotes hits and blocks. Carlson is also starting to get up there in age as well.

I am unsure of your other owners in your league, but I personally would look at moving Wheeler, Zib, Hamilton, Carlson, Ekblad in some kind of a 2/3 for 1 type of trade, to get a player like I listed above. If you can't keep Kaprizov on minors, then that makes it difficult;

Ideal world; here's what I'd try to do; (I'd also be trying to insure I win this season too and make these moves in the off season)
    Hellebuyck, Svechnikov, B.Tkachuk, Barkov, J.Hughes, Kaprizov, and then move P.Kane, Ovechkin, Wheeler, Carlson, Ekblad, Hamilton in some kind of a 2/3 for 1 and try to get an Eichel, Marner, Pastrnak. Find the owner with the weakest 8 keepers, and leverage that.
    12 Team - Dynasty H2H Category
    Skaters CAT: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    Goalies CAT: W, L, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    Roster: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, Util, 2G, 5BN, 3IR

C: Crosby, Stuetzle, RNH, Couturier
    LW: Ovechkin, Guentzel, Toffoli, Knies
    RW: Fiala, Perron, DeBrusk, Zuccarello
    D: Seider, Hronek, Pietrangelo, Heiskanen, McAvoy, Chychrun
    Util: Ekholm
    G: Vanecek, Gustavsson, UPL, Lyon, Forsburg
    Blue = Bench / Red = IR
    (Also in 2x 1-yr leagues but they aren't important)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

The weird thing is that due to the COVID19 shortened season, Kaprizov won't hit 83 games until next year so he's minor eligible.

I'd go with Barkov, Hughes, Hellebuyck, Kane, and Hamilton/Carlson (I'd go with Hamilton personally as I think Washington is fading and Carolina is on the rise). Trade the others in the off-season and you should get really good returns on them.
    Team 1:
    J Hughes, Cooley (r), Bratt, Laine, M Tkachuk, Necas, A Svechnikov, S Jarvis, M Michkov (r), W Johnston, Zegras, Giroux, Norris, Couturier, B Jenner, T Krug, Burns, M Weegar, Werenski, Sergachev, B Clarke (r), Theodore, Sorokin , Oettinger, Askarov (r), Ersson
    12 teams, No salary cap
    Keep 14 plus 4 rookies (under 150 GP) max 18 players
    Scoring: G (1), A (1), +/- (0.25), H (0.1), B(0.1), PIM (0.1), SOG (0.1), GWG (1), PPP (1), SHP (1),
    Goalies: W (2), SO (3), GA (-0.5), OTL (1), SV (0.1)

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo_Supremo View Post
    Hellebuyck should be a keeper; It is pretty much just him and Vask. as the top tier in goalies, so hold onto him.
    Barkov is young and starting to come into his own this year, I would say he should be a lock going forward also.
    It also could be because I'm a J.Hughes owner as well, but I would consider him a keeper going forward as well due to his huge upside/potential.
    I should also point out that you could likely be losing Kaprizov's minor eligibility. If you can keep him AND J.Hughes apart of the minor system, that would be huge, but I would almost consider Kaprizov a keeper going forward based on what we are seeing from him this season. He could be just as productive as J.Hughes for the next few years (but maybe not as much upside longterm).

P.Kane and Ovechkin are still top tier right now, but the longer you hold them for, the less return you'll get in years to come. You could always try to flip them for a younger skater who maybe isn't there yet, but could be... maybe Pettersson, Boeser, Aho, Rantanen, or Point? But you have to ask yourself if you are willing to hurt yourself this season when you are in the position to win it if you make the trade before it ends. If you can wait to move them in the offseason, that would be ideal.

Zibanejad, Hamilton and Carlson is where it gets tricky. Zib is having a huge off year, and could rebound, but unsure. Hamilton is doing alright, but his peripherals aren't quite there in a league that promotes hits and blocks. Carlson is also starting to get up there in age as well.

I am unsure of your other owners in your league, but I personally would look at moving Wheeler, Zib, Hamilton, Carlson, Ekblad in some kind of a 2/3 for 1 type of trade, to get a player like I listed above. If you can't keep Kaprizov on minors, then that makes it difficult;

Ideal world; here's what I'd try to do; (I'd also be trying to insure I win this season too and make these moves in the off season)
    Hellebuyck, Svechnikov, B.Tkachuk, Barkov, J.Hughes, Kaprizov, and then move P.Kane, Ovechkin, Wheeler, Carlson, Ekblad, Hamilton in some kind of a 2/3 for 1 and try to get an Eichel, Marner, Pastrnak. Find the owner with the weakest 8 keepers, and leverage that.
    Thank you. And yes, Kaprizov is still minors eligible. He’s free money.
    12 Team H2H Keeper
    3 FA adds per week
    8 Keepers~10 minors
    IR

C-Barkov~Zibanejad
    C/RW- Reinhart
    RW-P. Kane
    LW/RW-Svechnikov~Fiala

MINORS:

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I'm taking Barkov, Helle, Kane, Ovi and Carlson from that list.
    32 Team Dynasty With Cap (83.5M) - H2H Pts
    Skaters: G: 4, A: 2, PPP: 1, SHP: 2, SOG: 0.5, HIT: 0.5, BLK: 0.5, FOW: 0.1, +/-: 0.5
    Goalies: W: 6, SHO: 6, SV 0.25, GA: -2
    Positions: 3C, 6W, 3F, 6D, 2G, 3BN, 20 Prospects

C: McTavish, Newhook, Dellandrea, Parssinen, Sillinger, Jost
    W: Svechnikov, Guenther, Berggren, Krebs, Palat, Foudy
    D: Weresnki, Chabot, Ekholm, Krug, Pelech, Jensen, Forbort
    G: Blackwood, Ersson

Top Prospects: Smith (SJS), Savoie (BUF), Bourgault (EDM), Bourque (DAL), Perron (CAR), Korchinski (CHI), Nikishin (CAR), Jones (NYR), Cossa (DET), UPL (BUF), Daws (NJD)

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I keep
    Hellebuyck - he's an elite goalie option, and there are few of them. Additionally, the Jets defense could use some help, and that should help him out a bit.
    Ovechkin - point per game guy, you have SOG & Hits, and he has traditionally dominated this format
    Barkov - point per game guy, you have FOW, and he's usually great in this format.
    PKane - point per game guy, proven elite SOG.

Plus one of Carlson/Hamilton, but I'd keep both in case Ovechkin doesn't stay in the US.

Hughes & Zibanejad are also-rans, and are trade bait.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Genius

Don’t want to create a new thread when this is all related:

I can trade Carlson right now for a 2nd and 8th in 2021 and a 2nd in 2022. He’s a bottom team and would not be able to flip him to my competition. Should I make the deal? I’d keep Hamilton instead of Carlson and should be able to stay in 1st without Carlson.
    12 Team H2H Keeper
    3 FA adds per week
    8 Keepers~10 minors
    IR

C-Barkov~Zibanejad
    C/RW- Reinhart
    RW-P. Kane
    LW/RW-Svechnikov~Fiala

MINORS:

Dobber Sports Veteran

I would go with:

Barkov
    Jack Hughes
    Patty Kane
    Carlson
    Hellebuyck

note: but with so many solid players on your team I think that you should use your depth and make a trade or two to upgrade on your keepers. What about Vasilevskiy? What about Matthews?
    Devils & Predators fan

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by notch4077 View Post
    Don’t want to create a new thread when this is all related:

I can trade Carlson right now for a 2nd and 8th in 2021 and a 2nd in 2022. He’s a bottom team and would not be able to flip him to my competition. Should I make the deal? I’d keep Hamilton instead of Carlson and should be able to stay in 1st without Carlson.
    If you think that this is the best you could get for Calrosn then Im with you on this one.
    Devils & Predators fan

Dobber Sports Ace

think i'd go

barkov - ppg/fow monster
    ovie - still produces, king of the shots + hits
    kane - never slowing down
    helley - elite
    hamilton/carlson - i think if you can make that trade for carlson you'll probably set yourself up better for next year, but if you can move some of those pieces to upgrade your keepers thats probably the better route
    12 Team H2H Keep 4

2 C, 4 W, 4 D, 2 UTIL, 2 G
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, FW: W, SV%, GAA

C: Barkov, Eichel
    W: Connor
    D:
    G: Sorokin
    ​IR:
    NA: