Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Favourite Board Games

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Favourite Board Games

^There's a different version of that called "Things" that's a ton of fun. It's similar in that there's a question and everyone submits an answer, but it's a blank slip of paper so all the answers are written and unique. Then the question master reads out all the answers and everyone has to guess who put which answer. The more right, the more points.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    ^There's a different version of that called "Things" that's a ton of fun. It's similar in that there's a question and everyone submits an answer, but it's a blank slip of paper so all the answers are written and unique. Then the question master reads out all the answers and everyone has to guess who put which answer. The more right, the more points.
    Yep that'd be in my grouping for games that I'm over haha. My wife loves them though so I'm pulled in a lot. Or at least I was.

Dobber Sports Titan

Honestly you don't even need the specific game for it. Look up the rules, and play it from there.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Stud

Wingspan is a truly great game once you get the mechanics of it. What I like about it is that you really work on maximizing your own board, so the "competition" aspect of it is less present and makes for a very smooth experience. Plus the game is really beautiful, the bird illustrations are quality.

Another board game in the same mold would be Everdell.
    Points-only keeper league. 12 teams. Keep any 12 players. Dress 12F - 6D - 2G.

Dobber Sports Sage

Ticket to Ride and Settlers of Catan is the goto's lately. (Also play some old games like Full House, Careers, and the Farming game).
    Pandemic too, but it's really easy so we play with house rules. If we play normal rules than we aren't allowed to talk about the game with each other.
    If we can talk strategy than we must eradicated all viruses - not just cure. With some combinations this variation may be impossible to win, but haven't tried deck stacking to see. Have currently only beat this with 6 different combinations (3 player).

Also a deck building game Star Realms. 1v1 games are usually lopsided though in my favour, due to my long time Hearthstone experience. So we just play the 3 player modes.

@Eskimo Brother
    I use to play a lot of chess back in the day. Yahoo chess. Top 100 on Cass's Ladder (not sure spelling) which I think put me around 1800 elo, but hard to remember. Oddly enough my best ladder ranking was in checkers at 13th.
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Banned

We love:

Articulate!
    Root
    Spot It!
    Mysterium

Dobber Sports Icon

A solid two player game is Patchwork. Wife and I bought and play it regularly. Now our 5 and 7 year olds play it as well. Simple to pick up, difficult to master.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I really like the game of thrones board game if anyone likes the show and has a few good hours to waste. Survive: escape from Atlantis is a really fun family game where you try to escape from a sinking island and can really gang up on each other. Disney villainous is fun if you like disney. Catan and ticket to ride are always fun.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Betrayal at house on the hill is a fun unique game where you all work together to explore a haunted house and eventually one or more of you turns and is against the rest of the group... every time you play it is different and you dont know who will be on the team and who will be against the team while you are starting the game.. I'd highly recommend.

Dobber Sports Titan

Not a board game, but Monopoly Deal is a solid game.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Not a board game but Exploding Kittens is a lot of fun
    if you like this then check out Unstable Unicorns. I prefer this to EK.... a bit more strategy and more diverse cards. It's like an intro to deck building.

Monopoly Deal if (cards) you want a quick version of the game 5-20min to play.

Trash Panda's is fun
    7 Wonders

Patchwork - a 2 player quilt building game, but it's more a puzzle game. Our daughter loves it.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Big fan of board games!

A couple that I have not seen mentioned:

JunkArt - Jenga Style - A bunch of mini games with different objectives - All involve building with odd shapes and dexterity to win.
    Insider - Party Game - Deal out cards - 20 questions Style - 1 person is the master - 1 person is the insider - rest are guessers - Insider wants to get the people to guess the answer in the time frame, if guess, everyone votes on who the insider is.
    Sequencia (sp?) - Board game connect 4 (5) style - Easy and fun.

Dobber Sports Novice

Here are our (family of 4 10 & 15 yr old's) favorite games.

1. Champions of Midgard
    2. Raiders of the North Sea
    3. Catan (Cities & Knights is all we play)
    4. Seven Wonders
    5. Stone Age

These are all worker placement type games except for Seven Wonders. My kids are able to play all of them and they are only 10-15 yr's old.
    12 Team Limited Keeper League

3 player limited points only keeper. Keep 1 forward, 1 Defenceman, 1 Goaltender
    Scoring: 1 pt Goal + 1 pt Assist
    Goaltenders: 2pt win + 1 pt shutout

My Keepers:

FW- D. Pastrnak
    Def- Q. Hughes
    G- F. Anderson

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by CMSpiced View Post
    Sequencia (sp?) - Board game connect 4 (5) style - Easy and fun.
    Sequence. That's an awesome game as well.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Kory14 View Post
    Betrayal at house on the hill is a fun unique game where you all work together to explore a haunted house and eventually one or more of you turns and is against the rest of the group... every time you play it is different and you dont know who will be on the team and who will be against the team while you are starting the game.. I'd highly recommend.
    Played this one for the first time last night online with a couple of friends. It was a great one.