Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Byram or Seider?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Byram or Seider?

In a category league, with pretty similar cats to my signature, which D man do you guys prefer starting next season? Byram or Seider? Thanks for the responses in advance everyone!
    12 team deep keeper league, 17 main roster players, 5 prospect players, max 2 goalie keepers for the main roster. point breakdown goes as follows:
    Skaters:
    G is 4 points, 5.2 points for D goals. A is 2.5 points, 3.25 points for defense. 0.07 per FOW, 0.2 points for blocks, hits, and SOG 0.5 points for PIMS and +/-, 3 for SHG, 1.5 for SHA.
    Goalies:
    GS is 1.5 points, -1 for GA, 0.2 for SV, 4 for SHO, and 3 for W.
    Team:
    https://www.fantrax.com/fantasy/leag...gi/team/roster

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Byram or Seider?

Byram. Byram is a do-everything defenseman who is already playing in the NHL. He does have Makar and Girard ahead of him, but I think he'll find a way to at least get PP2 and top 4 time. If he pairs with Makar at even strength then hooray. Seider is a primarily defensive d-man with improving skills. You'd think that in his first year in the NHL, assuming that he even locks a role down, will be one of transition.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Do you have a preference long term or is Byram still the answer for that one? Just wanted to make sure I interpret your answer correctly. Thank you for your opinion, I appreciate it!
    12 team deep keeper league, 17 main roster players, 5 prospect players, max 2 goalie keepers for the main roster. point breakdown goes as follows:
    Skaters:
    G is 4 points, 5.2 points for D goals. A is 2.5 points, 3.25 points for defense. 0.07 per FOW, 0.2 points for blocks, hits, and SOG 0.5 points for PIMS and +/-, 3 for SHG, 1.5 for SHA.
    Goalies:
    Team:

Dobber Sports Stud

Byram. Kid is unreal

Dobber Sports Initiate

Hard to say given Seider has yet to play an NHL game - but we can be pretty certain that Makar is going to run that PP1 in Colorado.

Meanwhile, from Athletic before he sat for 2 weeks b/c of injury, Moritz Seider's "0.77 points per game (24 points in 31 games) are the third most among all SHL defenders this season, and, as of right now, would be the best rate ever by a U20 in that league (with a minimum 10 games played." There have been comparisons to Pettersson's domination of the SHL in the year before his rookie season as well. Link: https://theathletic.com/2389731/2021...fense-rebuild/

If you haven't been watching Seider's offensive production this season you might still consider that he's a defense only player; however, rest assured, Yzerman isn't taking a one-dimensional player at #6 with Dylan Cozens sitting at 7 and Trevor Zegras at 8. We cannot be certain yet for sure, but with the dearth of talent currently on the Detroit roster, Seider has a much better shot than Byram at taking the prime spot at D on that roster and PP1. I'm bullish on Detroit for the first time in 8 years or so -- it may take a few years for the rebuild to take hold but I would put my money on Seider and Yzerman here.

Byram is unreal -- but Makar is better.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I have taken notes on his offensive production for sure. Seems like it is pretty close and I like both D men a ton.
    Skaters:
    Goalies:
    Team:

The Great One

By ram.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Icon

Another vote for Byron Byram

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thank you for all the responses so far! I really appreciate everyone's feedback.
    Skaters:
    Goalies:
    Team:

Dobber Sports Deity

I guess I am in the minority but I would go with Seider. Dont get me wrong. Byram is a good Dman but he's always going to be 2nd fiddle in Colorado. Seider will be the top dog in a couple seasons on a team that Stevie Y is rebuilding. Sure Detroit is a tire fire right now but just wait for the turnaround, and Seider will be front and center.

Short term, Byram will look better but in the long term, Seider will eventually catch and pass him.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Yeah seems like the huge argument against Byram is PP1 is pretty much blocked long term with Makar being there.
    Skaters:
    Goalies:
    Team:

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Kawee View Post
    Yeah seems like the huge argument against Byram is PP1 is pretty much blocked long term with Makar being there.
    I think its actually way too early to say as Byram is in his first NHL season, playing 3rd pairing minutes with no PP time and Seider is tearing up the SHL and not in the league. Makar-Byram could even become the top pairing in CO - but without PP1 time, it would be hard to say that Byram joins the status of elite.

As far as opportunity goes, Seider has the larger opportunity with no competition for the top spot really and Yzerman drafted him at 6 to be that guy (2nd highest D Yzerman has drafted in his GM career with Hedman at #2 in 2009); however, Detroit doesn't have any established scoring right now (they're the worst in the NHL). Byram should have better immediate numbers given the Avs are one of the best teams in the league and have MacK and scoring depth down the lineup (but be mindful that they are still middle of the pack in scoring this year). Long term, as Detroit gets way better, I think Seider will be the better player to own in fantasy as I think he will cement his role in the lineup similar to Hedman position (Pairing 1; PP1 - and not saying he'll be as good as Hedman - he's not played a single NHL game even). The question is can you wait 2-3+ years to figure it out - in fantasy this is forever? Detroit is at least 3 years away from joining a Stanley Cup playoff appearance conversation, maybe longer. The safe play for the next 2-3 years is Byram -- But it will be very interesting to see what starts happening in Detroit next year with the real start of the youth movement and hopefully for them a top 3 pick in the 2021 draft.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Yeah for sure, since I believe Raymond AND Seider will be full timers for 2021-2022 which should give a nice boost to the Wings.
    Skaters:
    Goalies:
    Team:

Dobber Sports Initiate

I kind of want the Seider side of this.
    As I have my mind a vision of Seider and Hronek possibly being their #1 dmen pairing

The Great One

Byram's skill level is off the chart and far superior to Seider's. Seider is an excellent player but skill wins out every time. For me this isn't a case of clear path its a case of the cream rises to the top. Byram is amazing and will produce regardless.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch