Thread: Gone to any games this year?

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Gone to any games this year?

Who has been to an NHL game this year? I live in NJ and now that the Devils are allowing fans I intend to go to a game or two.

Curious what type of experiences people have had...

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Gone to any games this year?

I live in Canada. so none. In BC we're not allowed to visit family yet so NHL games are definitely out of the question.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

The Great One

I’ve been to some ECHL games - I also work as an official scorekeeper off and on.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    I live in Canada. so none. In BC we're not allowed to visit family yet so NHL games are definitely out of the question.
    Yes, it will be a very long time before us up in Canada get to watch a game live.

I have been thinking about applying to be one of the snow-shovel dudes just to get to a live game in Winnipeg!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Monster

I havent really been keeping track of attendance at NHL games but its good to see fans back in buildings. I am not sure when we see that in Canada - definitely not until next season at this rate. And I wonder what kind of capacity we are looking at for Fall - probably something quite low like what we are seeing in the States right now.

Be interested to hear what the experience is like for people down south.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I haven't gone to any games in person, and probably won't be going to any hockey games this year, as I live near Philadelphia, which is one of the epicenters of sports fan stupidity and misbehaving. Not worth it to chance that.

I do expect to get to a minor league baseball game or two later this year, as things improve, though.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow View Post
    I havent really been keeping track of attendance at NHL games but its good to see fans back in buildings. I am not sure when we see that in Canada - definitely not until next season at this rate. And I wonder what kind of capacity we are looking at for Fall - probably something quite low like what we are seeing in the States right now.

Be interested to hear what the experience is like for people down south.

I too am interested. I'll be sure to report back. Not all details are clear, but here are a few things the Devils are doing:

-10% capacity
    -even sections and odd sections have different arrival times (60 mins before puck drop, 30 mins before)
    -only groups of 2 or 4
    -tickets are nontransferable; screenshots won't work, barcodes will refresh regularly
    -must be attending with members of your direct household; though they won't be checking IDs, just asking for names and info
    -"technology and safety protocols" -- I am assuming temperature checks, guided access throughout the arena

Regardless, we shall see what it's like.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by rtstr View Post
    I too am interested. I'll be sure to report back. Not all details are clear, but here are a few things the Devils are doing:

-10% capacity
    -even sections and odd sections have different arrival times (60 mins before puck drop, 30 mins before)
    -only groups of 2 or 4
    -tickets are nontransferable; screenshots won't work, barcodes will refresh regularly
    -must be attending with members of your direct household; though they won't be checking IDs, just asking for names and info
    -"technology and safety protocols" -- I am assuming temperature checks, guided access throughout the arena

Sounds good. I think it should be fairly safe. Im sure the players will be thrilled to have a little bit of fan noise in the building. Cant wait to get it back in Canada.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rtstr View Post

-10% capacity
    -only groups of 2 or 4

Does the bolded mean the Devils don't do printed tickets any longer? Curious more than anything. Visiting every NHL arena has never been on a bucket lit of mine, but it is pretty close, so maybe at some point.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Pro

Chiming back in with my post-game report for anyone who is interested in hearing about the experience.

-Saw the Rangers vs Devils. Unfortunately the Devils look even worse in person than they do on TV
    -The arena felt very empty - like a ghost town. It was eerie, and very easy to keep distance from other fans
    -Ushers were watching sections throughout the entire game and would come remind individuals to fix their masks as needed
    -I saw a couple people get thrown out of seats... they tried to sneak down to open spots. Stupid idea, and the ushers clearly knew exactly which seats should remain empty
    -All concessions were served bagged up (even alcohol), with napkins/condiments included. Along the lines of getting fast food drive thru. Only a few were open, but lines were never more than a handful of people.

-The noise that they pipe into the arena is UNBELIEVABLY annoying. It's pretty loud, and sounds like a constant white noise machine being played through the arena sound system. I was really looking forward to hearing activity/chatter on the ice, but you can't hear a thing and I was only 12 rows up.

All in all I felt safe, we had plenty of personal space, and people were respectful. I was pleasantly surprised with the Devils' approach and attentiveness to ensuring a good return to live hockey which was clearly well thought out.

I'm going again on 3/20 and hope to see a Devils win and will see if the experience has evolved at all.

Administrator

I don't live close to an NHL arena but if I was close to one that allowed fans I would 100% try to attend a game.

I would imagine the piped-in sounds are super annoying. Fewer or no fans at the arena means they're going to cater the experience to those watching on TV. Hopefully more fans can go soon so we can get back to natural sounds...

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust