Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Habs fire Julien and Muller

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: Habs fire Julien and Muller

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    I would love to see some of his post-game interviews when he is asked a question in French...

And then has one of his awesome sound-bites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Belexus75 View Post
    how you say "dig in harder" in French?:P
    Or “He’s a real gud pro”, Babs would have a few of these figured out quickly lol
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Sage

People have been calling for Julien firing for awhile now... but why the Muller firing?
    What was he in charge of?

Side note:
    Muller was one of my favourite players growing up
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    What would MTL rather have, a better GM and a translator, or a GM that can speak french?

I've never understood why the bluecollar fan needs to listen to a french speaking GM/Coach about Losses and would hate hearing it in english but is ok with Anglophone owning the team.
    In any field of expertise, let's say you live in a small isolated area and you have a bunch of guys who work for years, building their CV to get the top job in the only big company of the area. This company is by far the biggest and the only one everybody talks about. Every local guy who is interested by a given top job in this company gave it all for year and would do the job well and with all their hearth. Then this big company, in the local area, who cares about their public image and care about the population who suport them better then almost any other compagny in the country, hire an outsider for this top job...

You might have the opinion that it was the right move because the outsider is so much better for the job that the hire was justified. But to say that you don't understand why people from this local area would complain about the fact that a local guy didn't get the job is just being not grounded on reality of a human being. That's just a normal reaction, in general, if their was good people for the job in your area.

In this instance, you add that this outsider doesn't speak the language of the local area. You add that 90% of the sport talks is about the Canadiens, not about hockey, about and only about the Canadiens. So in addition to answer for your loss after a game, you'll have to justify day after day why you took the guy who doesn't speak french, because you still loss anyway. You're hiring will rise the bad talk about your team by a large margin on a daily basis in the medias and in your fan base.

You can have the opinion that a given non French speaking coach is so much better that he should be the chosen one. But not understanding that the French speaking factor has to be considered is a very limited understanding of the situation.

I think the very small chance of a non francophone as a coach is Gallant because of his success and he left a very good impression in Montreal and in the Montreal medias. But I would bet on someone else (Ducharme will keep the job if he does well this year).

Dobber Sports Deity

I dont see Molson spending the money on another head coach for this year. I think his is Ducharme's tryout until the end of the season then they will make the decision what to do at that point. If they make the playoffs, Ducharme probably gets the interim label removed. If they miss the playoffs, I see Bergevin fired and the new GM can decide if they want to stick with Ducharme or bring in his own guy.

Thats my best guess.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

It's a lot of hypothetical coming here but...

If Julien was fired and Muller was promoted to Interim HC. Would MTL be mad? He played for MTL as a player, been the assistant since 2016, replaced Julien when he was recovering, but he's from Kingston. He was promoted to "HC" when Julien went down over Ducharme in the bubble, so he was in the HC role for a hot minute.

I did say are they hiring based on that "work your way up" position, or just because they are Francophone, or because they speak french. What if that Anglophone had worked his way up and someone from "outside your area" was hired in because he was Francophone?

If it's giving back to the French community, ok whatever, that's a culture thing. But then what confuses me is their Director of Scouting is from Belleville, their Director of Player Development is from Byron ON, an assistant coach is from Ottawa, the VP of Hockey Operations is from Toronto, their Assistant GM is from Almonte ON.

Are they only worried about leadership, "face-to-media" roles as Francophones?

BTW, am I the only one that thinks Ducharme looks like discount Ray Liota
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Stencil View Post

I think the very small chance of a non francophone as a coach is Gallant because of his success and he left a very good impression in Montreal and in the Montreal medias. But I would bet on someone else (Ducharme will keep the job if he does well this year).
    So this boils down to the fact that for the Canadiens and a large portion of their fans having a local guy who speaks the language is more important than winning.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    People have been calling for Julien firing for awhile now... but why the Muller firing?
    What was he in charge of?

Side note:
    Muller was one of my favourite players growing up
    Have they? I didn't hear much on that. But obviously I'm not as in tune with the Habs as I am with other teams.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Have they? I didn't hear much on that. But obviously I'm not as in tune with the Habs as I am with other teams.
    Apron Basu has had a couple of really good articles on Julien's issues lately. I think the dissatisfaction with him goes back a ways but Basu had come good arguments for why Julien was not working. He wasn't calling for him to be fired, but the info was not complimentary.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Master

Muller was fired bc of the PP.

Let’s be very careful about the language debate, which comes up every time a Habs coach is fired.

It is a sensitive subject and can easily, deeply offend some francophones. The Habs are more than just a hockey team to many French Canadians, inside and outside Quebec. I always thought an interpreter could be fine, but the Habs making francophone hires is a business decision more than a hockey one and it matters to a large segment of their fan base.

Also I find it fun that historically the Habs are actually the English language team in Montreal... after all this lol.

Also the best coach in NHL history spoke great French and coached the Habs to many victories (and other teams to victories after that).

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    It is a sensitive subject and can easily, deeply offend some francophones. The Habs are more than just a hockey team to many French Canadians, inside and outside Quebec. I always thought an interpreter could be fine, but the Habs making francophone hires is a business decision more than a hockey one and it matters to a large segment of their fan base.

Also the best coach in NHL history spoke great French and coached the Habs to many victories (and other teams to victories after that).

Two thoughts to add to this.

Agentzero is absolutely correct it being a business decision. As fans, we're looking solely at the on-ice product. But the GM and the coach (more so the GM) have to sell the business side. They need to be in the communities, talking to business leaders, convincing them to continue to put more money into the team. They need to speak to the French media, give soundbites on the radio, and be able to communicate effectively. They have dinners and business meetings with politicians. It's a lot easier when the coach and GM speak the language of the people.

If you don't think it's a big deal, think back to 2011 when the Habs promoted Randy Cunneyworth as interim head coach. There was so much backlash from politicians and calls for boycotts from many fans that Molson had to put out a statement that said "It is obvious that the ability for the head coach to express himself in both French and English will be a very important factor in the selection of the permanent head coach."

So on that side, I get it. But as a Habs fan, it's frustrating. We continuously pass up better coaches simply because they speak only one language. And this is where we're stuck spinning our wheels.

The second point I have to make is contradictory. Scotty Bowman was a great coach, but he would have been a great coach even if he didn't speak French. You don't need your coach to speak French to win. But in Montreal, you do need him to do so if you don't want a firestorm and extra pressure from fans, media, politicians and business people.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Master

I would like them to live with an interpreter if they really thought the best candidate was a non-francophone.. Would be cool.

I also pointed out to some friends today that in large part, the Habs have always been owned by English families or English businessmen. Yet the francophone coach policy lives on. Which means it is always a balancing act of fulfilling the business side and giving yourself the best chance on the ice while doing that. Sometimes the best candidate available was a francophone, sometimes it wasn't.. and the Habs have to toe that line.. hiring the best coach they think they can find, who happens to also speak some French at least.

It's life for the Habs. It's their market reality. It makes sense, even if it's not perfect, and believe me, the Habs ownership and management all know that.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Grand Master

My experiences in dealing with businesses around Quebec, and especially traveling in Quebec City make me realize that the residents will most likely want a Francophone head coach and GM. It's about media interaction. I wonder how much of the local fanbase would be fine with a coach who spoke only French, but that's going to have issues as well.

It's also about history as the 2 European nations that fought for control of the land that is currently Canada didn't get along back in the day, and the language situation has been testy at times.

The lower staff don't need to speak French really well, as they are mostly dealing with internal things and players, and we know the vast majority of Francophone players can understand English, especially as it might relate to hockey.

I'm not sure if Quebec still had a team that it would be so strongly desired, possibly less so, as they aren't the Habs and wouldn't have the same level of magnitude of scrutiny.

Edit: That's a great picture of Julien on the story, with a Remembrance Day poppy in his lapel.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post

I'm not sure if Quebec still had a team that it would be so strongly desired,
    I believe this to the bone. Many Quebecers (more than we'd think) miss the Nordiques and are only Habs fans because there are no Nordiques.
    Blades of Steel

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    I believe this to the bone. Many Quebecers (more than we'd think) miss the Nordiques and are only Habs fans because there are no Nordiques.
    Sorry, I was unclear. I meant "Would the fans of a Quebec City team demand a Francophone GM & HC"? I think that if they get a team due to relocation, there will be a honeymoon period where they have a team and all is fine. If Florida relocated there with Quenneville, who I don't think speaks French, I think they would be okay with him.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    Sorry, I was unclear. I meant "Would the fans of a Quebec City team demand a Francophone GM & HC"? I think that if they get a team due to relocation, there will be a honeymoon period where they have a team and all is fine. If Florida relocated there with Quenneville, who I don't think speaks French, I think they would be okay with him.
    They would want a francophone more than Montreal would. That team would represent the Province. No no, they'd be voracious. They'd obviously live with an incumbent (which might help change the tune...) but I tell ya, I think they'd want one more than Montreal. Montreal has an English history. Not so for the Nordiques.
    Blades of Steel

Saros, Shesterkin