Thread: True Value of Goalies in a Minimal 10-team Keeper?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default True Value of Goalies in a Minimal 10-team Keeper?

Hey All,

I don't know if this is better suited for the keeper league section of the forum; but it is strictly goalie related, so here we are;

In a 10 team - Keep 5 league... what is the true value of a goalie compared to a 12-16 team and/or keep 8-15 / dynasty style league??

In a team 10 league where 2 goalies are starters, generally 30 goalies are owned (assuming 1 on the bench). This leaves goalies that could have significant future value in like Petersen / Kahkonen available, as well as starters like Ullmark / Jones / Quick / Greiss.

I feel fortunate to have Vasilevskiy, Andersen and snagged Driedger off waivers; But in a Keep 5 league, as much as I would love to keep all 3, it is just not in the cards.

So it is making me question; what is the true value of a goalie in a minimal, small team count, keeper league? Other than Vasilevskiy, would any of the other goalies be a lock to be a keeper considering the second goalie taken during our draft was Binnington who is struggling, yet the best goalie with regards to overalls currently is Varlamov (them shut outs help) who was taken much much lower in the draft?

I guess what I am trying to ask; is the value of these top tier goalies based on rankings really that much different compared to goalies you can stream/snag off waivers and you can prioritize your top picks on skaters?

Cheers!
    12 Team - Dynasty H2H Category
    Skaters CAT: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    Goalies CAT: W, L, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    Roster: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, Util, 2G, 5BN, 3IR

C: Crosby, Stuetzle, RNH, Couturier
    LW: Ovechkin, Guentzel, Toffoli, Knies
    RW: Fiala, Perron, DeBrusk, Zuccarello
    D: Seider, Hronek, Pietrangelo, Heiskanen, McAvoy, Chychrun
    Util: Ekholm
    G: Vanecek, Gustavsson, UPL, Lyon, Forsburg
    Blue = Bench / Red = IR
    (Also in 2x 1-yr leagues but they aren't important)

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: True Value of Goalies in a Minimal 10-team Keeper?

I think the value lies in there availability.

So it's very much dependent also on your leagues trends, do other GM's often keep a goalie?

10 teams that keep 5 I'm assuming only the Hellebuyck's and Vasilevsky's of the world are being kept, but you can easily draft a Varlamov or a Grubauer and be sitting in the same spot stat wise.

Deeper the league the harder they are to acquire.

There's also a peace of mind knowing your goaltending is set for the season.

For me Vasilevsky and Hellebuyck are the only true locks for workhorse goaltenders on good teams, anything outside of that there's a 1A / 1B situation or the team isn't that great in front of them.

Also, goalies are voodoo.

Not sure this was helpful or answered you question lol
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Keeper Value is all about the Cost above the replacement.

How much more valuable is the goalie on your team that you are considering keeping to a the bottom end goalie that will be rostered.

Then compared that to the defenseman and forwards on your team as well.

I always think in a 10 team league where you only start 2 goalies - that I would only keep goalies if they are the elite like Vasileskiy.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by evans334 View Post

Also, goalies are voodoo.
    This is the whole reason why I bring it up. It seems like outside of Vasileskiy & Hellebuyck, there are many goalies who look like they should be kept, but its a crap-shoot if they are going to be consistent year after year.

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post

I always think in a 10 team league where you only start 2 goalies - that I would only keep goalies if they are the elite like Vasileskiy.
    With this being said, Vasileskiy will be a keeper for me, but I won't go out of my way to potentially hold other to another goalie unless its Hellebuyck (which I won't even try to trade for).

Cheers!!
    12 Team - Dynasty H2H Category
    Skaters CAT: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    Goalies CAT: W, L, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    Roster: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, Util, 2G, 5BN, 3IR

C: Crosby, Stuetzle, RNH, Couturier
    LW: Ovechkin, Guentzel, Toffoli, Knies
    RW: Fiala, Perron, DeBrusk, Zuccarello
    D: Seider, Hronek, Pietrangelo, Heiskanen, McAvoy, Chychrun
    Util: Ekholm
    G: Vanecek, Gustavsson, UPL, Lyon, Forsburg
    Blue = Bench / Red = IR
    (Also in 2x 1-yr leagues but they aren't important)

Dobber Sports Grand Master

In a league with a small number of teams, elite goalies still have elite value, and should be kept. However, non-elite good goalies, are just that, good, and are replaceable, as few goalies will be kept. Goalie trade value should peak in-season for those who are having good years with solid track records, and you can strike while you can for help elsewhere.

However, elite goalies have no such timing issue, as long as they healthy and still elite. In my league in sig my goaltending when it started was Hasek/Roy. Admittedly it was a dynasty league, but there's just no way you let that caliber of talent go back into the draft, even in a limited keeper. Neither ever went to another team.

In your spot, Andersen is very good, and I'd move him for a skater you can keep, even if you need to package some more players. Vas you keep.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.