Thread: Goalie Strategy?

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Goalie Strategy?

Just curious how others' deploy their goalies in points leagues. First year doing points as I usually do cat leagues. I am running three goalies and currently leading my league in goalie points.

Is this a viable strategy long term in points leagues? Or should I use the extra goalie spot to stream on a day to day bases?

goalies are: grubs, talbot and mrazek
    10T Head to Head points

G 6, A 4, +/- 2, PPP 2, SOG .9, BLK 1

W 5, GA -3, SV .6, SO 5

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Goalie Strategy?

Point league setups vary, so let's look at yours:

Shutouts are impossible to predict, so ignore them.

The key ratio is SV versus GA. In your league a goalie letting in one goal on 6 shots gets zero points (.6+.6+.6+.6+.6-3=0) so any average performance of a .900 SV% is worth 2.4 points (5.4 -3) per 10 shots faced. So that's a nice positive, and if they get the win even better.

However, skaters are very highly scored 6 for a G, 4 for an A, and shots and blocks add up fast.

I'd look to use only 2 goalies, and go with another skater. It might be very viable to go with less. There is a poster out here who was using a zero goalie strategy in a league, because goalie scoring was so harsh, many games ended up very near zero.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    There is a poster out here who was using a zero goalie strategy in a league, because goalie scoring was so harsh, many games ended up very near zero.
    That's so crazy!!! No goalies??

Stevegamer has great advice here on considerations. I think your strategy is fine depending on your exact point scoring system. Grubauer is a solid own this year and it looks like you can stream the third spot for spot starts. Roll with it.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    That's so crazy!!! No goalies??

Stevegamer has great advice here on considerations. I think your strategy is fine depending on your exact point scoring system. Grubauer is a solid own this year and it looks like you can stream the third spot for spot starts. Roll with it.
    He did the math, and goalies were a bad idea, and weren't required:

https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...oalie-Strategy
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.