View Poll Results: Which five will have the highest single season point totals?

Voters
188. This poll is closed
  • Rasmus Andersson

10 5.32%
  • Adam Boqvist

14 7.45%
  • Evan Bouchard

49 26.06%
  • Erik Brannstrom

6 3.19%
  • Bowen Byram

19 10.11%
  • Thomas Chabot

89 47.34%
  • Jacob Chychrun

15 7.98%
  • Rasmus Dahlin

134 71.28%
  • Noah Dobson

3 1.60%
  • Aaron Ekblad

15 7.98%
  • Adam Fox

49 26.06%
  • Samuel Girard

2 1.06%
  • Miro Heiskanen

49 26.06%
  • Quinn Hughes

167 88.83%
  • Cale Makar

183 97.34%
  • Charlie McAvoy

11 5.85%
  • Ivan Provorov

5 2.66%
  • Mikael Sergachev

22 11.70%
  • Shea Theodore

63 33.51%
  • Zach Werenski

13 6.91%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ROOS LETS LOOSE POLL: Best single seasons from young defensemen

The Great One

Default ROOS LETS LOOSE POLL: Best single seasons from young defensemen

After 2019-20, aside from COVID arguably the biggest fantasy story was the impact of young defensemen and how the NHL was seemingly poised to be dominated by a crop of young blueliners for the next decade plus. That’s where today’s poll comes in. You’ll be voting on which five of 20 young defensemen will have the highest single season point outputs by the time their careers are over. By that I don’t mean which five will have the most total points – I’m talking about who’ll rank 1-5 in best single season output (i.e., points, not points per game pace) between now and the end of their career, with the qualifiers being that each defenseman has to be 25 years old or younger as of now and have played at least one NHL game this season.

One clarification - suppose one defenseman has two or more single season totals that rank in the top five overall single season totals among these 20. If that happens, you should still vote for five players not four - just look to the next highest total. For example, if Player A had single season highs of 86 and 81 points, Player B had a single season high of 84 points, Player C had one of 80 points, Player D had one of 79 points, and Player E had one of 77 points, with those being the top six single season outputs of any of these 20 choices. Even though player A had two of the top five totals and Player E's best only stood sixth, you still should vote for players A, B, C, D, and E, as it's the top five single season totals from unique players that count.

As always, when casting your vote please post in this thread who you voted for and why, as it's great food for thought for your fellow Dobberites.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

The Great One

Default Re: ROOS LETS LOOSE POLL: Best single seasons from young defensemen

My votes went to:

Bouchard - I don't think Barrie will be back, and Bouchard should leapfrog Nurse and Klefbom to be the source of blueline offense in Edmonton, which might be the best gig in all of the NHL
    Dahlin - Yeah, he's looked lousy this season, but you don't do what he did as a teen without making a huge impact at some point in time
    Hughes - He's so good already, the sky's the limit
    Makar - Great talent on great team equals great numbers
    Theodore - Vegas will have little choice but to deploy him even better given what he's showing, and he's a pure blueline scorer
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Stud

Makar, Hughes, Dahlin were insta-clicks for me.

Chabot gets a vote due to the wealth of talent coming up in OTT and his already high totals.

Heiskanen gets my last vote due to belief that he could put up 70 in a single season.

Could have easily replaced the last two with a couple of other options... great question as per usual Rizz!
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by YzermansLegacy View Post
    Makar, Hughes, Dahlin were insta-clicks for me.

Chabot gets a vote due to the wealth of talent coming up in OTT and his already high totals.

Heiskanen gets my last vote due to belief that he could put up 70 in a single season.

Could have easily replaced the last two with a couple of other options... great question as per usual Rizz!
    Glad you liked the poll, and I felt the same way as you in that the first three were slam dunks, which is why I made this a five choice poll. Like you I think there were a lot of options for those last two spots and seeing where people's votes go should be insightful.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Makar, Dahlin, Hughes.

The last two for me are:
    Fox - unreal opportunity now that DeAngelo is gone.
    Heiskanen - so much poise, already a steady real life defenceman.

Dobber Sports Newbie

This should be revised to "best single seasons from young defensemen OTHER than Makar, Hughes, and Dahlin, to get some actual discussion flowing for who are the five in that next bracket. Just a thought

Dobber Sports Newbie

Great poll. Makar, Byram, Hughes, and Dahlin. A lot of good choices but I think one of those 4 will have two seasons in the top 5. Also pleased that 5 of my D are on the list and this might make for an easier decision to not pay Hedman for an extension next year.
    H2H/Keeper/Auction, 10 team, $100 budget, 3 year max ext., $2 each add. year, 3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 2 G, 5 Bench

A-D, G-D, A, G, STA, STG, +\-, SOG, PIM, Wins, GAA, SV%, SO

F - Cirelli, Nugent-Hopkins, Tavares, Ehlers, Fiala, J.T. Miller, Pastrnak, Rust, Tuch

D - Girard, Hedman, Heiskenan, McAvoy, Theodore

G - Andersen, Vasilevskiy

Bench - Dahlin, Necas, Iafallo, Lankinen, Hughes

IR - Merzlikins, Teravainen

Dobber Sports Star

Makar Hughes Dahlin instapicks.

Bouchard and Theodore in addition.

Dobber Sports Titan

I agree with Dahlin/Makar/Hughes being almost automatic picks here. Theodore was one of my other two, and Chabot was the last one. Being the current leader of the pack Chabot gets the default vote - bird in hand and all.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Makar, Dahlin, Hughes, Theodore and Fox for me.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Makar, Hughes, Ekblad, Dahlin and Heiskanen.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Recruit

Makar, hughes, chabot, byram, heiskanen

Dobber Sports Initiate

Not sure how Ty Smith isn't even mentioned in the article since he's leading rookie defensemen in scoring, and is #1 on the most recent Dobber prospect defensemen list.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by FFleming5 View Post
    Not sure how Ty Smith isn't even mentioned in the article since he's leading rookie defensemen in scoring, and is #1 on the most recent Dobber prospect defensemen list.
    Yup - bad oversight on my part. As at least one commenter mentioned, and the more as I think about it, I should've excluded the "big three" of Makar, Hughes and Dahlin and seen who else would've received votes, including Smith and two others.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I went a bit off the board. The usual three - Makar, Hughes, Dahlin. Then I've got Boqvist and Bouchard.

Boqvist reminds me a bit of a young Erik Karlsson and he's starting to find his sea-legs. He's already on the 1st PP unit in Chicago. He's not quite himself because of COVID-19 but I'm willing to say he's going to have a surprising breakout next year.

Bouchard, as mentioned earlier, is the probable top dog for the Oilers, especially on that wonderful PP. Klefbom and Nurse might be better real-life defencemen but Bouchard's skills on the PP set him apart in a points-only league.