Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Draisaitl v Matthews

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: Draisaitl v Matthews

Quote Originally Posted by RevRath View Post
    Just unfortunate timing. Could have easily gone the other way with players of this caliber--take Matthews, he puts up two goose eggs, and Draisaitl goes off for two games.

As Axe mentioned Draisaitl is still ahead in the points race. Granted in two less games and Matthews has the better ppg (1.61 vs 1.5), but more signs are pointing to regression for him compared to Draisaitl, whose stats look more sustainable and has shown the higher upside already.
    I totally agree with all of this, in my pool Draisaitl is at 4.55 fp/g, Matthews is 5.25, but before a few games ago Drais was ahead.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Since this was such a fun debate... Just wondering what their points are now in this format. Total points on the year and points per game?

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Since this was such a fun debate... Just wondering what their points are now in this format. Total points on the year and points per game?
    133.5 (4.6) for Drais
    110.5 (4.42) for Matthews

Don’t remember if I mentioned, but after I turned down Matthews +3rd, the team with Matthews traded him for Marner +3rd. I’m fighting with those 2 teams for the money, they’re at 2.43-2-45 fp/g range, I’m at 2.34 but have some games in hand on 1 of them, and my team has heated up.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by LeafsFan1967 View Post
    133.5 (4.6) for Drais
    110.5 (4.42) for Matthews

Don’t remember if I mentioned, but after I turned down Matthews +3rd, the team with Matthews traded him for Marner +3rd. I’m fighting with those 2 teams for the money, they’re at 2.43-2-45 fp/g range, I’m at 2.34 but have some games in hand on 1 of them, and my team has heated up.
    Nice nice. Glad to see you held on.

Dobber Sports Pro

Nice nice. Glad to see you held on.
    Thanks man, I’m happy with it and appreciate the advice, even if it seems I’m opposing it sometimes lol. What do you think about Hall vs Oshie vs Monahan tonight, how would you rank them as plays? I’ve been using Monahan, but a bit worried with sutter there, and with no Eichel Hall can drive the bus, Oshie is 3rd line but pp 1.

Dobber Sports Immortal

How about an update on this now? I feel like it must have turned to Matthews by this point.....

Dobber Sports Initiate

How about an update on this now? I feel like it must have turned to Matthews by this point.....
    How so? Still is Leon Draisaitl at this point with the 40 point advantage in points over the past two seasons. That's a mighty big separation. Let's take it one step further, the scoring system in your league and how much more goals are to assists can play a factor. In my league, you can get 10 points for a goal to 8 for an assist, and get 5 extra points for a PPG, 10 for a SHG. So a PPG = 15 to 1 A = 8. 1 SHG = 20 vs 1 A = 8. Then you look at the difference between goals and also look at the difference in PPGs and SHGs. If it's much higher, in this case we're looking at 15 more goals in 2 less games played, they may break even. Keep in mind, this is a down season for Draisaitl. He's currently on a 40 goal pace, which in the two previous years he was on pace for 50. If he can still beat Auston Matthews by 20+ points at the end of each season, getting back to his normal 50 goal pace of the past two years, then it can definitely play in Draisaitl's favour. I feel right now, it's definitely Leon with the edge, minus this year. In my league it would be a virtual toss-up. That being said, I have been in other leagues where goals are the same as assists. No extras for special teams points. So then it makes Draisaitl the definitive player to own there. Also, is Matthews the new 70 goal scorer? Or is this the best we will see out of him. Remember, goal scorers tend to peak earlier. Look at last two dominant goal scorers that hit 60 goals or more in a season of this past generation; Steven Stamkos and Alex Ovechkin's best, it happened in their age 21 and 22 years respectively.

183 points in 121 games looks a lot more sexier than 143 points in 118. That's their production over the past two seasons.

Just depends if you think both can improve or one, and which one would that be? They are currently 25 and 23 in age. Not a big enough gap to say either side can improve leaps and bounds over the other, from what either side is currently showing. I personally think it would be hard for Leon to beat his 1.55 PPG avg of last year and for Matthews to best his .81 GPG this season.

So in the end it comes down to, what you see is what you get, with an outside chance of some minor improvement going forward. But again, I personally wouldn't count on it.
    I am a hockey obsessed fiend.

Dobber Sports Immortal

I just meant in terms of this guy's league for this season.....

This was an ongoing debate a few months ago.

Dobber Sports Initiate

I just meant in terms of this guy's league for this season.....

This was an ongoing debate a few months ago.
    This was posted in the keeper league section, so for that reason I wouldn't do it. I still wouldn't do it even if Matthews has been the hotter player right now. Even then that's not true. Draisaitl has 9 points to Matthews 5 in their past 5 games. Edmonton has 6 games left to the Leafs 4. It still favours Draisaitl going forward. So going based on their past, the present, and current present, and even games going forward for this season, it's Draisaitl. Also depends if the stats carry over and how the scoring system works. But personally I wouldn't move Draisaitl for Matthews straight up. Not if someone sweetens the pot and adds.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

As I suspect I said earlier, for me, this is still all about league format.

Matthews is helped with goal-heavy, but especially no positional breakout and no faceoff wins. Anything else, I want Draisiatl.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Deity

If this was a goals only league, I can see the lean to Matthews. Any other league, it's still Draisaitl.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    If this was a goals only league, I can see the lean to Matthews. Any other league, it's still Draisaitl.
    haha That's what I said, but just the Coles Notes version. So I post a big boring Novel's worth. Fiiiine! hehe

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Eli26 View Post
    haha That's what I said, but just the Coles Notes version. So I post a big boring Novel's worth. Fiiiine! hehe
    I don't normally go read other posts before I post.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I don't normally go read other posts before I post.
    Funny. Aren't you the biggest proponent of "Search is your best friend" when others are posting in the forum? And yet... you don't normally read other posts before' you post.

I HAD too. I suppose you're not asking a question here. Ok fine.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    Funny. Aren't you the biggest proponent of "Search is your best friend" when others are posting in the forum? And yet... you don't normally read other posts before' you post.

I HAD too. I suppose you're not asking a question here. Ok fine.
    Sure, when I'm posting/starting a new thread.