Thread: Is Moritz Seider For Real??

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Is Moritz Seider For Real??

I'm not sure if Moritz Seider was projected early on to be more of a two-way force with offensive upside, but it seems like the numbers he put up in Grand Rapids along with what he's doing this season in Sweden is pretty impressive.

Is there a chance Seider finds his way to the 1st PP in Detroit?
    Seems like he could be a minute-munching tenacious Dman with a nose for offence.
    Hronek hasn't exactly been lights-out this year (neither has any other Red Wing, for that matter).
    What are the chances that Seider is the 1st PP QB of the future in Motown??

Cheers!

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: Is Moritz Seider For Real??

Well he is more real than Manti Te'o's girlfriend.....

I can see Seider being the PP 1 QB in the future.

Hronek does not have the spot locked down currently.
    I think Christian Djoos is the PP D-man right now.

So if Hronek can not keep it over Djoos - I think Seider can come in and take over.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Odds to play PP1: 60%. (I'm saying a tad better than coin-flip... I think he's better than Hronek.)

He's very good.
    I think we all constantly get hung up on him having been drafted higher than some internet hockey-prospect-analysts had him pegged.
    And, FWIW, people on the "internet" (some of whom I do like) are more of a self-developped hockey fan, rather than types that grew-up-in-it.

You can smell this because some prospect analysts consistently put forwards really high on their lists... leaving defenseman farther down.
    Good defensemen are important. And Yzerman & the DET scouting staff aren't just throwing darts when they pick Seider at 6th overall in 2019 draft.

EVERYBODY in the hockey world loves Seider's "hockey sense".
    And that's important.
    "Hockey sense" is similar to people that have a knack for driving smoothly in fast-traffic.
    You see lanes opening up, closing, you see danger areas, and areas of opportunity.
    Seider is smart, his stick is good/great, his skating is good/great.

He's going to be Pietrangelo-ish, Lidstrom-ish, maybe a little bit Hedman-ish... though I'm not sure his upside is completely there.

There is one other major factor in play...
    Which is that Detroit is in line for another top 5 pick.

There MAY be a better puck-moving defenseman on the board for them.
    Both Brandt Clarke (RH), Luke Hughes (LH) & Owen Power (LH) have good offensive upside.

Worst case is Clarke(RH) - who may be a better PP1 player than Seider... and is same stickside.
    Best case is another forward to compliment the future of Zadina(LH) and Larkin(LH) and Raymond(RH).

Ideally, I'd like to see Luke Hughes(LH)-Seider(RH) for the Wings.
    That's a dynamite future PP1 group.

In 2025, that could be the best PP1 in the NHL.

Absolutely ideally - we see Detroit go with forwards in 2021 & 2022.
    Unlikely... but THAT would show absolute incredible faith in Seider as the PP1 horse.

But... that's a lot of hope.
    There are some good D on the board for the 2021 draft...
    And Detroit should be inline for a top 6 pick...

So it's a big guess on Seider until we see how that 2021 draft shakes out.
    Detroit may also be inline for a big SUPER-FORWARD from the 2022 draft (Wright, Savoie, Lambert... McGroarty, Miroshnichenko).

Revisit this thread after the 2021 draft and we'll know more.

[Of note: I'm already invested deeply in Seider. As he has been my "NA" stash in PQMC keeper since last year.]

Dobber Sports Immortal

Dobber Sports Padawan

Great feedback!
    Thank you so much for this reply.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Who has the better offensive upside, Seider or Nils Lundqvist?

It seems like Lundqvist might be stuck behind Fox who looks amazing for NYR right now.
    10 Team Limited Keeper (Keep 8) Points Only
    SALARY CAP (Player Salaries) League
    20 Player Teams = 12 Fwd 6 D 2 G

My team: ???

The Great One

You could also say Seider is stuck behind Hronek. If either prospect proves better than the player they are “stuck” behind once they reach the NHL well then they would no longer be stuck. Still quite a few years before we get a good idea of what these guys are at the NHL level.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    You could also say Seider is stuck behind Hronek. If either prospect proves better than the player they are “stuck” behind once they reach the NHL well then they would no longer be stuck. Still quite a few years before we get a good idea of what these guys are at the NHL level.
    Do you mean that you think it'll be a few years before Seider even makes the Red Wings roster full-time, or a few years before he "arrives"?
    Seems to me he's proving himself in Europe and has already proved well last season in the AHL...
    I suppose it also depends on what contracts may be up on Detroit's blue line...

The Great One

Before we know what he’ll be at the NHL level. I guess you could call it an arrival - again the real breakout threshold for D is around the 400 games played mark for D (that aren’t Makar or Hughes). So it’ll be a few years before we really know what sort of player these kids will be at the NHL level. No prospect is a slam dunk. Ever. You can get really close (Crosby, McDavid),but the vast majority of prospects who do become excellent NHL players do not do so right away. Plenty of fantasy GMs were planning on how to spend their winnings this year when they got Zegras or Lafreniere or Rossi before the season started. Happens every year. Get on Dobber Prospects and Elite Prospects. Better yet read the prospect rankings for the last year or so on The Athletic and then make an informed decision on which one of the guys will be the better own.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch