Thread: Any of these guys not worth hanging on to?

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Any of these guys not worth hanging on to?

Rebuilding team in a 24 team multicat H2H.
    Cats: G, A, SOG, hits, blocks, PIM

Will be looking to consolidate/add higher quality prospects and young players. Which of the following are worth hanging on to, and who should I consider cutting to make room for improvements? Upside is king, esp. multicat upside, but if a player is 3 or more years out from making the NHL that is a factor too.

Veleno
    Beaucage
    Dorofeyev
    Leonard
    Savoie
    Terry
    Bellows
    Bear
    Ahcan
    Andrae

Ideally it would be good to identify 3 players that are not worth keeping. Rep for comments. Thank you!

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Any of these guys not worth hanging on to?

I'd pick

Terry
    Ahcan
    Dorofeyev

Terry is in the NHL, but in multicat he does nothing. He feels like a 3rd liner.
    Ahcan is a guy who people want to believe can be Torey Krug because he is small and in the Boston system. That's not enough. The road is littered with small defensemen with decent puck moving skills who never amounted to anything.
    Dorofeyev had that great predraft year, but he's been super hit and miss. You can probably let him go and recapture him if he trends upward.

Dobber Sports Icon

Pavel Dorofeyev does not look like he will be an NHL scorer based solely on his numbers.

Emil Andrae is 3+ years away from an NHL sniff.

Savoie won't have an NHL contract for at least 2 years so he will give you zero production over the next 3 seasons.

If you are caring about the next 3 years, then I would be dropping these 3 since they likely won't be you much if anything over that time frame. If you care about year 5, then I will probably keep Savoie because he could be a 40 goal scorer.

I would keep players like Ahcan, Terry, Leonard, Bellows because you will have a much better knowledge of what they will being to your team in the next 18 months. At which time, you could drop them if you wanted to and pick up the Andraes and Savoies.

Dobber Sports Deity

I like Savoie a lot but he's a few years out. Same for Ahcan and Andrae. Those would be three I'd be looking to part with.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I like Savoie a lot but he's a few years out. Same for Ahcan and Andrae. Those would be three I'd be looking to part with.
    Ahcan turns 24 in May. If he's a few years out, he's not an NHLer. Us fantasy hockey GMs will know if he's an NHLer by this time next year.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    Ahcan turns 24 in May. If he's a few years out, he's not an NHLer. Us fantasy hockey GMs will know if he's an NHLer by this time next year.
    Why is that? You've never seen a guy make the NHL later in life? Most D, like goalies, dont even hit their stride until their mid 20s.

I dont expect him to be a full time NHLer next year. He might be. The year after seems more likely, but even then, who knows. Short of Kevan Miller and Brandon Carlo, all their current NHL Dmen in Boston are still signed. I dont see Carlo going anywhere and who knows about Miller. Not a lot of holes opening up on the B's blueline next season. Even if by chance he makes the Bs, what is the chances he becomes fantasy relevant any time soon?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Icon

I can't remember the last NHL dmen who began his NHL career at 25 or older and became fantasy relevant. I am sure I am missing someone though.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I can't remember the last NHL dmen who began his NHL career at 25 or older and became fantasy relevant. I am sure I am missing someone though.
    Eric Gustafsson is probably the most relevant I can think of. Though he's likely the exception to the general rule.

Out of that list, I'd probably still echo Axeman with Savoie and Ahcan as not worth keeping. Personally I think all the rest are worthwhile keeps, but if you absolutely need to cut another I think that it's Andrae despite his upside.
    32 Team Dynasty With Cap (83.5M) - H2H Pts
    Skaters: G: 4, A: 2, PPP: 1, SHP: 2, SOG: 0.5, HIT: 0.5, BLK: 0.5, FOW: 0.1, +/-: 0.5
    Goalies: W: 6, SHO: 6, SV 0.25, GA: -2
    Positions: 3C, 6W, 3F, 6D, 2G, 3BN, 20 Prospects

C: McTavish, Newhook, Dellandrea, Parssinen, Sillinger, Jost
    W: Svechnikov, Guenther, Berggren, Krebs, Palat, Foudy
    D: Weresnki, Chabot, Ekholm, Krug, Pelech, Jensen, Forbort
    G: Blackwood, Ersson

Top Prospects: Smith (SJS), Savoie (BUF), Bourgault (EDM), Bourque (DAL), Perron (CAR), Korchinski (CHI), Nikishin (CAR), Jones (NYR), Cossa (DET), UPL (BUF), Daws (NJD)

Dobber Sports Stud

Rafalski is a classic example. Not a lot of them though!