Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Super Bowl snacks - you choose

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: Super Bowl snacks - you choose

Bench the wings. Messy finger food.
    Pizza is a must have.
    Homemade nachos, layered so there is cheese, ground beef, tomato, jalapeño peppers and black olives with every scoop. Then add salsa and sour cream on top.
    A couple cold ones and Bobs your uncle.
    Yahoo! 10 Team Keep 6, H2H - 1 win
    G, A, SOG, PPP, FOW, H, B, Wins, GAA, Sv%, SHO
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 1Ut, 4D, 3G, 6Bench, 2-I/R+, 1NA

C: Bennett, Couturier, Zacha
    LW: Draisaitl-C, Stutzle-C, Kaprizov, E.Kane
    RW: Marner I/R,T.Thompson-C, Necas-C, Nichushkin
    D: Dahlin, Bouchard, Gudas, Romanov, KA Miller
    G: Vasilevskiy , Skinner, Gustavsson, Woll, Allen
    4 weekly minimum start’s required
    I/R: Sergachev

When I say nothing, I say everything. J.White

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Grapes View Post
    Bench the wings. Messy finger food.
    Pizza is a must have.
    Homemade nachos, layered so there is cheese, ground beef, tomato, jalapeño peppers and black olives with every scoop. Then add salsa and sour cream on top.
    A couple cold ones and Bobs your uncle.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lljQ4wkCiQU

More pro tips! How to eat chicken wings cleanly with one hand.

I personally push the meat with my fingers down to the opposite tip, but either way works.

Administrator

BTW, I know it's not on the list, but veggie tray with hummus is also a must for me.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow View Post
    Assuming there's no other food you gotta bench nachos unfortunately. I would want the wings and pizza to fill me up for the game.

In an ideal world I'd want something else like a bowl of chili and then crush wings and nachos. But if it's only those 3 I cut the snack and take the real foods.
    Wings are the 'snack' here. Nacho's and pizza you got the mixture of food groups. Wings is just the meat. Even a steak I would not consider a dinner meal. There's a vast range of how nacho's are prepped. Mine are pretty loaded so the chips are secondary.
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Nachos to the bench, for sure!
    (Great thread)

Pizza and wings - you know what you get with both.
    The pizza rarely disappoints.
    The wings can usually be sized up well on inspection.

But nachos... I mean, you might pull your lot (with somebody on deck) and it just wasn't a good go.
    You gotta then move on. You can't reload, somebody else will get to clean up the scraps that stayed on the pile.
    Too much disappointment there. They're the Yakupov of snacks.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Nachos and pizza, wings to the bench.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    BTW, I know it's not on the list, but veggie tray with hummus is also a must for me.
    Agree with this but would prefer to read a 500 word essay (like your previous response) on why hummus over ranch dressing

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I'm benching the Super Bowl for Puppy Bowl. Have done this for the last few years, and it's been a really good move. I basically don't watch the NFL anymore.

Honestly, if I can pick my favorite place to get all 3, I'm benching pizza. It's very reliable, but it's the most frequently eaten food of the 3 for me.

We have a wings place near me that wins Best of Philly with something like 60 sauce options. I've had about 30 of them, and there have been none I don't like.

Likewise, the best nachos I've had are from a place not too far away - technically in Delaware, but they can get here and be reasonably hot, if I am the one getting them. Meat, cheese, and fresh veggies is my favorite variation they have. Onions, peppers, tomatoes, green olives, etc with no black olives or mushrooms for me.

My favorite pizza is over an hour away in New Jersey. Can I get good pizza near me, sure, but it's not super special.

My item to add would be a soft pretzel tray, notably with some cheeseburger & cheesesteak pretzel pockets.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Everyone plan out your day. I like to go with a bigger breakfast and no lunch so that I'm ready to go for 6pm.

Dobber Sports Sage

@stevegamer Good point! There's variables at play here. Like if we can choose who prepares the food. If we have to share with others. Etc.
    Personally I'm a person that can eat the same thing for long stretches and still love it. So I mostly stick to what I like the best.
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Immortal

Definitely variables. Since this year is just the two of us I'm sticking with lots of two things instead the normal a little of a lots of things.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Lol!

Well fwiw, nachos for me too. I'm not a fan of peppers or things like jalapenos so none of that crap goes on my nachos. My nachos usually are topped with cheese and something like ground beef. My issue with nachos is the top layer tastes awesome but about halfway through, the cheese and beef is mostly gone and all you're really left with is chips. At least with pizza and wings, you're getting what you're paying for all the way through.

That's my take. Bench the nachos.
    This just represents bad nacho-making. You don't just dump on a big pile of chips, or of course you'll be left with a pile of empty chips at the end! Restaurants do this because it looks like you're getting more and it saves money, but if you do this at home you are only hurting yourself. Do them on a sheet pan in a single layer! Or multiple layers if that's not enough.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Agree with this but would prefer to read a 500 word essay (like your previous response) on why hummus over ranch dressing
    I hate most dressing in general. I cannot understand the logic of eating veggies but not without my my candy syrup on top. Ranch is by far the worst of them all.In the immortal words of Jim Gaffigan, the ingredients for Ranch are buttermilk and sadness. Truly one of the most disgusting creations and not even a speck of healthiness to it either. Yes, let me just slather my vegetables in fat filled, sugar-enriched, nutrient-void, unhealthy mustard yogurt. That will help me make the most of this healthy decision. I swear, Ranch was invented so that smokers could taste something, because only something so calorie dense and vile could possibly penetrate the years of abuse on taste buds. Like, finally I can taste something!

Diabetes rates might fall 5% if Ranch was outlawed.

Now, hummus isn't always a perfect option. Some brands are loaded with their own artificial ingredients and added sweeteners but the foundation is something real, chickpeas. Hummus is also calorie dense, but it has far more vitamins, fiber, protein. It's going to be a lot more satiating, which is why I include the veggie tray in the first place, to fill up on something healthier so you don't get out of hand with rest of the options.

But the kicker, hummus actually tastes good. It's a garlicky nut butter. Now, we all have personal tastes, so I understand that some people really enjoy Ranch. I presume those same people also ate glue well past kindergarten, because that is what it approximates in taste and consistency.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post

Wings can hit the bricks for me, but mostly because they are rarely executed correctly. If you're at a restaurant/bar where they do wings all the time, then sure this is a great option. The homemade we do this once a year and haven't really figured it out wings are a pass for me. Too often they aren't cooked correctly (baked on way too high for speed), with the sauce (often a mediocre barbecue) applied before the bake so that it's both sparse and dull. People out there can absolutely pull off wings, either a low and slow bake, or get some frying going. I'm not even asking for batter, just better. But really the most important part is getting the flavour correct. I never see a homemade dry rub, or the effort made to toss the wings in the appropriate volume of sauce (way too much) at the appropriate time (after cooking) so they are actually coated and flavourful. Chicken doesn't bring much to the table, it's a meat vehicle for other flavours. High ceiling, low floor, and I don't trust you to get off the floor.
    PRO WING TIP:

Boil frozen wings for 8 minutes. Dry them off. Bake them at 425 for 25 minutes. Flip and cook another 25 minutes. Boiling them sounds disgusting, but this is the way to make awesome wings (without deep-frying them).

For sauce, I like to make buffalo sauce (essentially just butter and franks red hot sauce heated up in a pot) and blue cheese dressing (also very easy to make in about 1 minute).

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    PRO WING TIP:

Boil frozen wings for 8 minutes. Dry them off. Bake them at 425 for 25 minutes. Flip and cook another 25 minutes. Boiling them sounds disgusting, but this is the way to make awesome wings (without deep-frying them).

For sauce, I like to make buffalo sauce (essentially just butter and franks red hot sauce heated up in a pot) and blue cheese dressing (also very easy to make in about 1 minute).
    I rarely do wings, but more often ribs and I'm a crockpot kind of guy. Same principle. Frank's makes their own buffalo sauce, which I am a big fan of.