Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Super Bowl snacks - you choose

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Super Bowl snacks - you choose

I saw on Tim & Sid that they were debating three different SB foods and which one would you "bench" and not eat.

Wings, pizza or nachos.

If you could only have two to choose from which two would you have and what one would you put on the bench?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: Super Bowl snacks - you choose

Nachos for sure. Never have been a big fan. Ironically that's what my wife wants to make tomorrow along with wings.

I'd likely bench pizza and nachos for double the wings or wings and a shrimp ring. Sign me up.

Dobber Sports Deity

Lol!

Well fwiw, nachos for me too. I'm not a fan of peppers or things like jalapenos so none of that crap goes on my nachos. My nachos usually are topped with cheese and something like ground beef. My issue with nachos is the top layer tastes awesome but about halfway through, the cheese and beef is mostly gone and all you're really left with is chips. At least with pizza and wings, you're getting what you're paying for all the way through.

That's my take. Bench the nachos.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Lol!

Well fwiw, nachos for me too. I'm not a fan of peppers or things like jalapenos so none of that crap goes on my nachos. My nachos usually are topped with cheese and something like ground beef. My issue with nachos is the top layer tastes awesome but about halfway through, the cheese and beef is mostly gone and all you're really left with is chips. At least with pizza and wings, you're getting what you're paying for all the way through.

That's my take. Bench the nachos.
    Exxxxactly. Everything looks great on top and the first few bites are great, but then you keep eating and you realized you've crushed a bag of chips.

Dobber Sports Sage

Nachos and pizza
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Administrator

As with most things, it comes down to execution.

Pizza is a must have because it's hard to screw that up. You have to try to **** up pizza. High floor option, high ceiling. Pizza is a rockstar.

Nachos, you've got to layer appropriately, but also not go overboard with the toppings. The real star of nachos is the dipping sauce. Whether it's salsa, guac, or one of the many other options/combinations for dipping sauce you don't want the nachos overwhelmed with toppings, nor do you want a lack of dipping sauce. Worst thing, is not having the dipping sauce widely available. Ultimately, they are chips with cheese on them, but even if the cheese is sparse, the dipping sauce should rescue you. Low ceiling, but high floor.

Wings can hit the bricks for me, but mostly because they are rarely executed correctly. If you're at a restaurant/bar where they do wings all the time, then sure this is a great option. The homemade we do this once a year and haven't really figured it out wings are a pass for me. Too often they aren't cooked correctly (baked on way too high for speed), with the sauce (often a mediocre barbecue) applied before the bake so that it's both sparse and dull. People out there can absolutely pull off wings, either a low and slow bake, or get some frying going. I'm not even asking for batter, just better. But really the most important part is getting the flavour correct. I never see a homemade dry rub, or the effort made to toss the wings in the appropriate volume of sauce (way too much) at the appropriate time (after cooking) so they are actually coated and flavourful. Chicken doesn't bring much to the table, it's a meat vehicle for other flavours. High ceiling, low floor, and I don't trust you to get off the floor.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Master

nachos with shredded marble and whatevers in the fridge for salsa . I like to add sliced olives for some zip and side scoop of sour cream

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    As with most things, it comes down to execution.

Pizza is a must have because it's hard to screw that up. You have to try to **** up pizza. High floor option, high ceiling. Pizza is a rockstar.

Nachos, you've got to layer appropriately, but also not go overboard with the toppings. The real star of nachos is the dipping sauce. Whether it's salsa, guac, or one of the many other options/combinations for dipping sauce you don't want the nachos overwhelmed with toppings, nor do you want a lack of dipping sauce. Worst thing, is not having the dipping sauce widely available. Ultimately, they are chips with cheese on them, but even if the cheese is sparse, the dipping sauce should rescue you. Low ceiling, but high floor.

Wings can hit the bricks for me, but mostly because they are rarely executed correctly. If you're at a restaurant/bar where they do wings all the time, then sure this is a great option. The homemade we do this once a year and haven't really figured it out wings are a pass for me. Too often they aren't cooked correctly (baked on way too high for speed), with the sauce (often a mediocre barbecue) applied before the bake so that it's both sparse and dull. People out there can absolutely pull off wings, either a low and slow bake, or get some frying going. I'm not even asking for batter, just better. But really the most important part is getting the flavour correct. I never see a homemade dry rub, or the effort made to toss the wings in the appropriate volume of sauce (way too much) at the appropriate time (after cooking) so they are actually coated and flavourful. Chicken doesn't bring much to the table, it's a meat vehicle for other flavours. High ceiling, low floor, and I don't trust you to get off the floor.
    This made me LOL. Now this is the kind of analysis we need.

I bench the nachos, easy decision. I love me some nachos but they're too easily effed up.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I saw on Tim & Sid that they were debating three different SB foods and which one would you "bench" and not eat.

Wings, pizza or nachos.

If you could only have two to choose from which two would you have and what one would you put on the bench?
    Assuming there's no other food you gotta bench nachos unfortunately. I would want the wings and pizza to fill me up for the game.

In an ideal world I'd want something else like a bowl of chili and then crush wings and nachos. But if it's only those 3 I cut the snack and take the real foods.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Wings and Pizza for the win!
    Fantrax, 11 Team, Points Only, 24 players per team,
    19 Keepers
    Draft 5
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 4D, 2G, 7 bench spots
    G and A= 1 point, SO = 3 points, W = 2 points.
    Players:
    C: Crosby, Taveres, R. Strome, B. Schenn
    LW: M. Tkachuk, Ovechkin, Marchand, Voracek, Mangiapane
    RW: Guentzel, Ehlers, Wilson, Mercer, Raymond
    D: Carlson, Krug, Klingberg, McAvoy, Hronek, DeAngelo
    G: Markstrom, Hart, Keumper, Khudobin
    IR: Malkin, Backstrom

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Nachos are the easy bench, but just FWIW, if the problem with your nachos is you get halfway through and only have chips left, that is the nacho maker's fault, not the nachos.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Nachos are the easy bench, but just FWIW, if the problem with your nachos is you get halfway through and only have chips left, that is the nacho maker's fault, not the nachos.
    Well how do you get cheese and beef in the middle of your nachos? Do you build them in layers?

Dobber Sports Grand Master

https://www.amazon.ca/Good-Cook-11-5...73926800&psc=1

Use a pan like this. Wax paper or tin foil down. Precook the beef/chicken (with garlic and onion, if you like) go easy on the salt (chips are salty). Thin layer of chips (just enough to fully cover the bottom), cheese, meat, bell pepper (if you like), second layer of chips, cheese, meat, pepper. In the oven at 400 for ~20 minutes. Take out, sprinkle fresh tomato over top. If you're using fresh jalepeno's, include at the same time as the bell peppers. If you're using canned/jarred jalepeno's, include at the same time as tomatoes. Voila.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    https://www.amazon.ca/Good-Cook-11-5...73926800&psc=1

Use a pan like this. Wax paper or tin foil down. Precook the beef/chicken (with garlic and onion, if you like) go easy on the salt (chips are salty). Thin layer of chips (just enough to fully cover the bottom), cheese, meat, bell pepper (if you like), second layer of chips, cheese, meat, pepper. In the oven at 400 for ~20 minutes. Take out, sprinkle fresh tomato over top. If you're using fresh jalepeno's, include at the same time as the bell peppers. If you're using canned/jarred jalepeno's, include at the same time as tomatoes. Voila.
    Cool. I think I'd still want the wings and pizza but that looks like a winner!

Dobber Sports Sage

Pizza for sure!!!
    I will lean on the side of nachos too. While I don't have extravagant nachos, like pizza they do offer a range of different foods/tastes and are less messy than wings. But those two will depend on what I'm feeling that day.

Top Choice: I will eat all three and cut out the watching of football.
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24