Thread: Need a computer!

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Need a computer!

Hey Guys,
    I'm looking for suggestions.
    I'd like to if possible maybe buy a tower with everything in it except maybe hard drives? I already own 2 SSD hard drives that I'd like to put to use if I can.
    Right now our computer is used for teacher work, printing etc. I don't even surf on it really. It would be nice if it could handle computer graphic design programs.

Important: I don't want to spend a lot of money so not looking for a machine over $500

Any suggestions?

Thnx
    Contract Fantrax 14 teams, 8 keepers. 4 max lifers +/-
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 1F. 5D,2G....5Reserves.
    Goal heavy. G=3.5 A=2 Add 0.5pts for D.
    Goalies:W=3,SO=4,start=2,Save=.1
    Assist +4, OF loss +1 loss= -1 Goal against -1
    C:MACKINNON,Kadri,Rossi,Thompson
    LW: KANE,HUBERDEAU,Marchand,kotkaniemi,Colton,N.Robert son
    RW:KUCHEROV,RANTANEN,Kessel,Bjorkstrand
    FOX,BURNS,Jones,Girard,lundkist,Hanafin
    G:CAMPBELL,Swayman
    Minors:Mctavish,Johnson

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Need a computer!

It's been literally years since I've been in the retail electronics industry (I used to sell electronics, including computers back in the day) so I have no idea what computers are selling for these days, but if you are looking for one without hard drives, you're probably better off building your own. Can you still order computers online from companies like Dell and have them built to spec for you? Unless you're going to a specialized computer company local, you probably wont find one without a HD installed.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Guys sell gaming computers all the time on Facebook Marketplace or Kijiji because ppl like building them and using them for a week then getting bored.

I'd just say look at used ones for a bit see if you can get a good one for $500.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Administrator

Hard drives are not expensive so you can always buy a tower with a cheap HDD and remove it on arrival. Sell it for a few bucks.

There's also laptops with multiple hard drive slots now although that won't fit in your $500 budget.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by ddp View Post
    Hey Guys,
    I'm looking for suggestions.
    I'd like to if possible maybe buy a tower with everything in it except maybe hard drives? I already own 2 SSD hard drives that I'd like to put to use if I can.
    Right now our computer is used for teacher work, printing etc. I don't even surf on it really. It would be nice if it could handle computer graphic design programs.

Important: I don't want to spend a lot of money so not looking for a machine over $500

Any suggestions?

Thnx
    Building your own computer is lots of fun. You can customize it to have exactly what you want in it. I just built my first one a few months ago.

https://pcpartpicker.com/ let's you play around with all the different components that you would want to make sure they fit together properly. The website then let's you know where the cheapest place to order the component from. It's a great resource.

With that said, I'm not sure if you will be able to build a computer for $500 that will handle graphic design.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    Building your own computer is lots of fun. You can customize it to have exactly what you want in it. I just built my first one a few months ago.

https://pcpartpicker.com/ let's you play around with all the different components that you would want to make sure they fit together properly. The website then let's you know where the cheapest place to order the component from. It's a great resource.

With that said, I'm not sure if you will be able to build a computer for $500 that will handle graphic design.
    Came here to post PC Part Picker, very useful tool.
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Sage

Yup I built my own years and years ago. Now I just upgrade pieces. Much cheaper route too! I live pretty rural so buying a used 'homemade' one wasn't really an option (moreso back then), but if you live in a populated area, then that could be a very good route to go if you don't want to build your own.
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Grand Master

My go to location is Micro Center, but they have few locations. www.microcenter.com

I used to be a build my own guy, but now I simply get something that is their own brand (the cases are roomy, and there's no name brand markup or bloatware) that fits what I need. Last time I got almost identical machines for myself and the SO, as she needed me to be her tech support, and it's so much easier to have almost identical internals.

PC part picker is good if you want something custom. Be aware that compatibility is almost always right, but there's always that small chance of something not playing well with something else.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.