Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Grab DeAngelo?

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Grab DeAngelo?

Hey guys,

Feels crazy to ask this but what are your thoughts on grabbing DeAngelo with the news of "tons of interest"?!

Thanks in advance!
    Yahoo, H2H Categories, 1 Year, 12 Teams
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 4D, 2G, 4BN

Skaters: G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT
    Goalies: W, GAA, SV%, SHO

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: Grab DeAngelo?

Personally, I think the "(adjective) of interest" in TonyD is GM-bunk.
    I think that people still say the right thing... and for GMs, they have to seem active/interested... that's their job, right?
    To listen, inquire, see what is out there - what it costs. This is what fans expect of them.

But realistically, I don't think a tight-knit group of teammates wants a guy like that in their lockerroom right now.
    Hockey players are still opinionated... and there is NOTHING wrong with having an opinion... but voicing your opinion strongly, actively... CAN be detrimental.
    That's TonyD. He's not healthy for a lockerroom. He's a lockerroom killer.

Lockerrooms are important. One bad egg can ruin that. And teams have traded players OUT, for dimes on the dollar, to clean that up.

I don't see any NHL team acquiring him this season.
    It's too much negative backlack from 50% of a fanbase once they are educated on this guy's past.

Another way to think about it...

Back in October, NHL teams held drafts.
    Arizona drafted this kid in the 4th round that (it was announced) had a past of bullying some kid.
    It was announced on October 26th about the kid's bullying issue...
    By October 29th, Arizona had "renounced" him.

It's critical these days for organizations to avoid bad-eggs. They just don't touch them.
    That kid will probably never get an NHL contract. Mostly, because fans will just hammer on an organization that says "We decided to invest in this kid."

Look at Rutherford stepping down with PIT... it's just my speculation, but I think the Skalde/Donatelli thing ate him up and PIT & Rutherford decided to scrub that story from the organization as much as possible.

NYR is done with Deangelo - they don't want that image associated with their team.

So... do we think another organization wants this image asocciated with their team?
    No chance, IMO.

Any interested GM is going to have to bring this issue to the owners...
    A general, keen ownership group is going to say "No - this is going to alienate half our organization and half our fan-base... not worth it."

The only chance he has is with a GM -AND- OWNER (and probably coach consultation) that support who TonyD is.
    Even people on his "side" are going to think he needs some time to cool down.

I don't see him playing again this season. I know some others agree.
    My money is on him going to the Florida Panthers in an off-season trade.
    Post-Seattle expansion draft.

Also... re:Seattle... let's not forget... teams have to get to a 7F/3D protect-list for the Seattle dispersal draft.
    So... a team is effectively "cutting" their 3rd best defensemen by taking on TonyD.

Given all this information... do we really see somebody taking him on this season?
    Hard no, for me.

(also - he was my 10th round pick in the 25 round DobberExperts league. I straight-cut him on Sunday night. Others can verify. That's not a political decision. It's just that I have 10% odds of him playing in NHL this season.)

Dobber Sports Deity

I'd probably hold off until a trade happens (assuming it will) and wait and see what that teams situation is. If he ends up in some place like SJ for example, he's not going to bump EK or Burns off that PP so to me, that wouldnt make any sense. He's useless there. That being said, some of these smaller market teams could be more willing to take a shot at him.

As always, it depends on who you'd be dropping as well. Right now, most players on your roster are probably more productive than he is.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Initiate

I just dropped him. Even if he comes back and another GM picks him, I am happy that's from now on it would be someone else's problem to manage this risk.
    10 team, points only, no cap, Bonus : PPG, SHG, HT, Shoot Out
    Top 9F, 4D, 1G . Keep 10 + 2 extras 150g or less, Max 22 (12F, 6D, 2G + 2 extras)

Dobber Sports Veteran

I also dropped him...
    1) 16 teams full keeper H2H. Start 9F, 4D, 1G, 2 Championships
    pts: (D : 7 pts G /5 pts A), (F : 5pts G /3 pts A), (G : 10 pts W / 5 pts SO), (D/F : 1 pt +/-, 0.5 pts PIM, 0.1 FOW, 0.2 Hits, 0.3 pts SOG, PP and SH).

Forward : Aho, Svechnikov, PLDubois, Giroux, Couture, Wheeler, Cozens, Karlsson, Vrana, Anderson,​Greenway,

Defenses : Dahlin, Fox, Doughty, Toews, , Slavin, Miller

Goalies : Oettinger, Vanecek, Bobrovsky

Prospects : Dostal, Schmid, Chinakhov, Bordeleau, Ostlund, Brindley, Gulyayev

I...am your father.

I think there is interest and I think, in leagues where this would help, he will be an asset for a half year this season. "Maybe" he can even be an asset next season too. But eventually his mouth will get him into trouble and he'll be Sean Avery'd out of the league over 2-3 years.

Why so long? Why do I really believe there actually IS a ton of interest?

Well, because we're not talking about a 55-point defenseman, as many pundits are opining. He was actually on a 64-point pace in his age-24 year. He is one of maybe 6 or 7 defensemen in the entire league with the ability and talent to post 82 points. A point per game. Yep, I said it. And that is rare air. That's not just some Ryan Suter or Torey Krug. This is elite offense.

I think if this was Ryan Suter 57-point potential, or Torey Krug 67-point potential, then maybe not so much interest (fine print: I'm of course ignoring Suter's all-around game for this example, please bear in mind). But this is 82-point potential. This guy makes the forwards score more. In terms of just talent, if you can add him to your roster you would be one of about 5-6 teams that can have that weapon. Rare! So GMs need to weigh that against how easy it will be to put a leash on him. They had the same inner struggle over Sean Avery who, in my opinion, was the best agitator in hockey at the time and possibly Top 10 ever. He could change the momentum of an entire game. But can you control him?

I think a team will try. And I think they'll REALLY try. If they get him, they aren't going to pamper his ice time. They NEED to make the move look good so they will do what they can to make it look good. That's why I say, for the second half of this season, DeAngelo will be an asset.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    I think there is interest and I think, in leagues where this would help, he will be an asset for a half year this season. "Maybe" he can even be an asset next season too. But eventually his mouth will get him into trouble and he'll be Sean Avery'd out of the league over 2-3 years.

Why so long? Why do I really believe there actually IS a ton of interest?

Well, because we're not talking about a 55-point defenseman, as many pundits are opining. He was actually on a 64-point pace in his age-24 year. He is one of maybe 6 or 7 defensemen in the entire league with the ability and talent to post 82 points. A point per game. Yep, I said it. And that is rare air. That's not just some Ryan Suter or Torey Krug. This is elite offense.

I think if this was Ryan Suter 57-point potential, or Torey Krug 67-point potential, then maybe not so much interest (fine print: I'm of course ignoring Suter's all-around game for this example, please bear in mind). But this is 82-point potential. This guy makes the forwards score more. In terms of just talent, if you can add him to your roster you would be one of about 5-6 teams that can have that weapon. Rare! So GMs need to weigh that against how easy it will be to put a leash on him. They had the same inner struggle over Sean Avery who, in my opinion, was the best agitator in hockey at the time and possibly Top 10 ever. He could change the momentum of an entire game. But can you control him?

I think a team will try. And I think they'll REALLY try. If they get him, they aren't going to pamper his ice time. They NEED to make the move look good so they will do what they can to make it look good. That's why I say, for the second half of this season, DeAngelo will be an asset.
    I completely agree. Well, maybe not on the 82pt Dman part, but everything else. He's a good player but I dont think he's THAT good.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I completely agree. Well, maybe not on the 82pt Dman part, but everything else. He's a good player but I dont think he's THAT good.
    Well, look at it like this - name, purely on upside not likelihood - 7 defenseman who can get 82 points? I got Makar, Hughes, Karlsson, Reilly, Carlson, DeAngelo...then I start to reach just a little - Klingberg, Heiskanen...Theodore, and I wonder if Ty Smith could do it? Very early to say. I don't think Burns can anymore.

Other Dmen like Werenski and Fox can probably get to 70 in ideal conditions. DeAngelo actually did it for 50 games last year, so it's not a stretch to say he can do it for 32 more. Gustafsson also did it for 50 or 60 games.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Well... speculate us all the landing spots then.
    And also tell us if that team is including TonyD in their 3D in the Seattle expansion.

There has to be full logic to back your stance on teams wanting him.

A team will need to:
    1) Accommodate his cap hit
    2) Need his offense
    3) Be willing to deal with his baggage

There's not a lot of teams that will go 3/3 here...
    I'd love to see this list...

Dobber Sports Icon

There's a big difference between having the talent/ability to reach your potential and actually reaching that potential.

NHL teams are nothing more than big entertainment businesses. The negative feedback that would come from giving up assets to acquire someone with Deangelo's background would not be worth it for an NHL team. Points are great for fantasy purposes but real NHL teams don't care about points. All they care about is if that player makes their team better and not only does Deangelo not make the team on the ice better as he gives up as much as he produces, he would make the dressing room and all marketing worse.

No NHL team is going to acquire Deangelo this season or next.

Did you not see the way the Rangers mocked him after their win last night? That should tell you everything you need to know about his NHL future.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    And also tell us if that team is including TonyD in their 3D in the Seattle expansion.

A team will need to:
    2) Need his offense

Bobby Mack's list from a few nights ago:
    Calgary
    Detroit
    Anaheim
    Los Angeles

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

I...am your father.

A team will need to:
    2) Need his offense

Correct, so for 1) This one is flexible. Maybe 3 teams can take the full hit, 10 teams would need salary retained, 15 teams could trade some salary back to make it fit.
    for 2) well, that's all teams except the teams with the defensemen I named in my post, and 3) THIS part is the sticky one. Could be anywhere from 5 to 10 teams, with the level of "willing" a direct correlation to their level of desperation for offense from the blue line

Dobber Sports Demi-God

^Um... you didn't actually provide any landing spots.
    Come on...

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    There's a big difference between having the talent/ability to reach your potential and actually reaching that potential.
    He did actually reach it though. He had 51 points in 60 games. That's too big a sample to be luck. And still two years away from prime physical shape.

No NHL team is going to acquire Deangelo this season or next.
    Wanna bet? DeAngelo didn't say that Georgiev got his sloppy seconds. He hasn't done half of what Avery was doing. And Avery kept finding homes. I don't spew this stuff out of my ass lol, I observe and extrapolate from actual similar historical events.

- - - Updated - - -

^Um... you didn't actually provide any landing spots.
    Come on...
    My daughter's name is Mackenzie... that's not actually my last name

Dobber Sports Demi-God

So... the list I'm seeing from you is:
    nobody
    nobody
    nobody
    nobody
    nobody
    nobody
    nobody
    nobody