Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Deshaun Watson officially requests a trade

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: Deshaun Watson officially requests a trade

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    I still think Watson is the guy teams spend years trying to find. I know there's a point where it becomes too expensive to try and acquire but I don't think the conversations have gotten close to that. Like, is it unreasonable to suggest that a team would trade it's 1st to have a franchise quarterback for one season? If that's true then hypothetically, wouldn't it be worth it to give up a 1st for every year that the quarterback is on your team? I know it would make it harder to build, but a franchise guy also makes everything that much easier.
    True. And of all the teams mentioned SF does have a lot of pieces on place. But you always have to be ready to backfill with elite players coming in at a cheaper rate. Those players are harder to find outside of the 1st round.

Dobber Sports Immortal

All hail metaldude. 5 x 1sts for Watson would be nothing after what Stafford went for

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Some great insight in this piece on The Athletic with insight from coaches in the game and some analytics on what type of quarterbacks some of the available options are:

https://theathletic.com/2349515/2021...tafford-49ers/

I was particularly intrigued by the part that the 49ers heavily scouted Watson in the lead up to his draft and opted for Solomon Thomas instead, citing that he may not be a fit for Shanahan's system. It's possible they could find a better fit without giving up nearly the same draft capital, which could be the way to go.

I still think Watson is the guy teams spend years trying to find. I know there's a point where it becomes too expensive to try and acquire but I don't think the conversations have gotten close to that. Like, is it unreasonable to suggest that a team would trade it's 1st to have a franchise quarterback for one season? If that's true then hypothetically, wouldn't it be worth it to give up a 1st for every year that the quarterback is on your team? I know it would make it harder to build, but a franchise guy also makes everything that much easier.
    That's a fantastic read on the QB situation for the Niners, and makes complete sense.

To me Garappolo is a lot like what they had for years in Alex Smith. A capable QB whos solid at the short to mid range passes but never a deep arm threat.

I don't think I'd mind Matt Ryan at them helm for SF if the price wasn't as crazy as what the Rams just paid for Stafford.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Immortal

Ryan in SF could do some major damage. A more than capable arm in a great scheme.

Dobber Sports Titan

Trade could be done in as short as a week.

My Guess:
    Tua to Denver for Picks+Lock/Bridgewater
    Denver picks+Miami Picks to Houston for Watson.

Trade deadline is Nov2nd.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Veteran

Read last night that Denver has claimed they have "no interest" in Tua. We know how outright false organization denials can be sometimes, but still noteworthy.

But there's also this: I wonder why Denver would be interested in Tua when there's still a widely held belief that Rodgers goes there in the off-season. Rodgers is no spring chicken, but there still seem to be plenty in the NFL (including the Dolphins, apparently) who doubt Tua's ability to be a franchise QB. Bringing in Rodgers would at least give Denver a few years to draft and develop an heir apparent ... unless Tua is that heir apparent and they'd plan to have him sit behind Rodgers for a couple years?

P.s. On the Miami side, if true, this could be a franchise altering move. There's no doubting Watson's talent, but there's obviously still a huge black cloud hanging over him from a legal perspective with all the pending lawsuits (not to mention the moral perspective, to the extent the Dolphins consider that). In any event, it's still entirely possible that Watson doesn't see the field (and nobody knows if he will ever see the field) for YEARS. And yet reports are that the Texans' asking price for him includes multiple 1st round picks on top of other stuff. That is a HUGE bet to make under any circumstances, much less when the player you're acquiring has the availability uncertainty that Watson does. If they make that trade and Watson's legal troubles continue for any appreciable amount of time, the Dolphins could be in complete tatters for 5+ years with little draft capital to improve it.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar/Couture(IR)/Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson(IR)/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand/Drouin
    D: Dobson/Trouba(IR)/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Martinez(IR)/Edvinsson/York/Gudas
    G: Saros/Demko/Askarov

Dobber Sports Titan

I even read from a top NFL reporter that the rumours of Watson and Tua are fully false. Could just be Watson camp pumping it up again.

If I'm Miami I don't want him. But apparently the owner has been the one pushing it the whole time and imagine an Old White Real Estate mogul not caring about the moral issues in acquiring Watson.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I'm not sure many owners have morals in the NFL. How many teams are riddled with players who have questionable pasts? Players with A LOT less talent than Watson.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by saucelife90 View Post
    I'm not sure many owners have morals in the NFL. How many teams are riddled with players who have questionable pasts? Players with A LOT less talent than Watson.
    Yup, Tampa sends out a message about how they won't stand for such acts like Gruden and removed him from the Ring Of Honor, but employs Antonio Brown and Sherman.

It's a weird state the NFL because people hung Gruden out, but he's sending emails and someone is returning them. And the NFL won't release any other emails from the investigation. I guess no owner insulted Goodell and only made degrading comments to other people?

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Yup, Tampa sends out a message about how they won't stand for such acts like Gruden and removed him from the Ring Of Honor, but employs Antonio Brown and Sherman.

It's a weird state the NFL because people hung Gruden out, but he's sending emails and someone is returning them. And the NFL won't release any other emails from the investigation. I guess no owner insulted Goodell and only made degrading comments to other people?
    Who knows, the people returning the emails could very well be responding in a manner that most people respond to their "crazy uncle". Like "Sure Jon, yup yup I know what you're saying" - insert eye roll.

As for the owners.. either they're smart enough to not put anything in writing, or they're being shielded by the shield. At the end of the day, they're the ones who decide on Goodell's future. So he either doesn't want to upset them and is willing to take those licks privately, or there's nothing there. Only they know at this point.