Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Deshaun Watson officially requests a trade

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: Deshaun Watson officially requests a trade

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post

My point being, if I owned a top five pick in the draft, I'd trade it for someone like Watson in a New York minute (no pun intended). The problem is, if you are trading one of those top five picks, you're probably also adding on a bunch to go with it to get him. I find the NFL seriously overpays for stars in trades. Just wait to see what a team pays for Watson in regards to the quality as well as the number of assets to get him.

As a Niners fan, I'd love to have Watson as my starting QB, but not if it's going to cost us something like Bosa, Garappolo, plus a bunch of 1st and 2nd round picks. I'd rather keep those picks and continue to build around Jimmy G.
    Agree 10000%. Jets would be crazy to give up their pick capital this year in order to get him.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Agree 10000%. Jets would be crazy to give up their pick capital this year in order to get him.
    Ya, if I owned a top five pick in this years draft, I'd trade it for Watson, but I wouldnt heap on to that pick but NFL teams would.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Immortal

Yikes....

https://www.tsn.ca/houston-texans-gm...tson-1.1584882

While quarterback Deshaun Watson has reportedly requested a trade, Houston Texans general manager Nick Caserio said Friday the team does not plan to honour it.

"Organizationally, we want to reiterate our commitment to Deshaun Watson," Caserio said. "We have zero interest in trading the player."

Dobber Sports Deity

PLD 2.0??? Lol!

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Immortal

Pierre Luc Deshaun.

Administrator

At work, I have at least four other guys in my office who are die-hard football fans. None of us cheer for the same team. We've got a Jets fan, a Pats fan (of course), a Packers fan, a Broncos fan, and I am a Niners fan. We talk football a lot here over our cubicles. LOL!

Yesterday, we were talking after the Watson news broke about him wanting a trade. I brought up the fact that in todays NFL, if you look at all the best starters out there, very few are high draft picks. When I say high draft picks, I am talking top five picks. You have to go all the way down to Goff to find a top five pick whos starting and considered the highest ranked QB, depending on your opinion. Maybe Kyler Murray ahead of Goff, depending on who you are asking. That being said, even if Murray is ahead of Goff, is he a top 10 QB in the league today? Would you prefer him over Mahomes, Russell, Jackson, Brees, Brady, Rodgers, Watson, Prescott, Allen, Big Ben??? Some will say yes over some of the latter names, but I bet most would rather most of these guys over Goff or Murray today. Of course, Brady and Brees are long in the tooth and Ben isn't far behind them and for all we know, we might have seen the last of Brees. Is it worth drafting a QB that high when clearly there's quality later in the draft.

And yes, development can be huge, as well as the team built around them but if they are drafting that high, chances are the team around them isnt that good to start with LOL!

My point being, if I owned a top five pick in the draft, I'd trade it for someone like Watson in a New York minute (no pun intended). The problem is, if you are trading one of those top five picks, you're probably also adding on a bunch to go with it to get him. I find the NFL seriously overpays for stars in trades. Just wait to see what a team pays for Watson in regards to the quality as well as the number of assets to get him.

As a Niners fan, I'd love to have Watson as my starting QB, but not if it's going to cost us something like Bosa, Garappolo, plus a bunch of 1st and 2nd round picks. I'd rather keep those picks and continue to build around Jimmy G.
    Murray over Goff big time. Would love to see what McVay could do with Murray considering what lemonade he's made from Goff. Taking Murray over Brees, Big Ben, Dak (only because we don't know about the leg), and I hate to say it, Lamar.

You make a good point about wanting the stuff surrounding the quarterback because as we saw in Houston this season, a single player, no matter how good can't do it all. But the thing is, that Houston team was a tire fire of absolutely trash and Watson still kept them competitive, that dude is a floor and ceiling raiser. You want to win it all, you need both the quarterback and the system.

Rams and 49ers got damn close with OK quarterbacks and brilliant support, they both probably win with the same roster but a Watson instead of a Goff/Garapollo. I dunno the cost of Watson, but if you can make it only picks, I'd trade 5 years worth of 1sts for Watson when the supporting structure is already built around him the way it would be in San Fran. After that the needle becomes harder to thread, but that's going to be the case no matter what quarterback you have, roster windows age out. The brilliance of a guy like Watson, as long as you aren't a complete tire fire he can still raise you to playoff level, see what he did in Houston the previous few seasons before this derailment.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Immortal

If he goes to Miami for Houston's own 1st......

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

this could get bad. I can't believe they wouldn't just trade him if he doesn't wanna be there.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Murray over Goff big time. Would love to see what McVay could do with Murray considering what lemonade he's made from Goff. Taking Murray over Brees, Big Ben, Dak (only because we don't know about the leg), and I hate to say it, Lamar.

You make a good point about wanting the stuff surrounding the quarterback because as we saw in Houston this season, a single player, no matter how good can't do it all. But the thing is, that Houston team was a tire fire of absolutely trash and Watson still kept them competitive, that dude is a floor and ceiling raiser. You want to win it all, you need both the quarterback and the system.

Rams and 49ers got damn close with OK quarterbacks and brilliant support, they both probably win with the same roster but a Watson instead of a Goff/Garapollo. I dunno the cost of Watson, but if you can make it only picks, I'd trade 5 years worth of 1sts for Watson when the supporting structure is already built around him the way it would be in San Fran. After that the needle becomes harder to thread, but that's going to be the case no matter what quarterback you have, roster windows age out. The brilliance of a guy like Watson, as long as you aren't a complete tire fire he can still raise you to playoff level, see what he did in Houston the previous few seasons before this derailment.
    I wouldn't trade five years of first round picks for him although a lot of teams would. As I mentioned, there's quality QBs every year in the 1st and 2nd rounds. Just draft your own and use the other picks you'd give up for Watson to help make that QB better.

Administrator

I wouldn't trade five years of first round picks for him although a lot of teams would. As I mentioned, there's quality QBs every year in the 1st and 2nd rounds. Just draft your own and use the other picks you'd give up for Watson to help make that QB better.
    Most teams don't hit on those. You could spend forever trying to find that guy.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Most teams don't hit on those. You could spend forever trying to find that guy.
    Jacksonville arguably hasn't had one their entire history.... Presumably until now.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Mannnnnnnnn. Houston is the new tire fire. Now it sounds like Watt is done. No 1st round pick. No QB.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ove-on-from-de

Dobber Sports Icon

Mannnnnnnnn. Houston is the new tire fire. Now it sounds like Watt is done. No 1st round pick. No QB.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ove-on-from-de
    I remember hearing them talk about this in Houston’s last game. I thought Watt was moving on (I’m unsure of his contract status) after the season.

Yeah, it sure looks like Houston will be next years New York Jets

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    I remember hearing them talk about this in Houston’s last game. I thought Watt was moving on (I’m unsure of his contract status) after the season.

Yeah, it sure looks like Houston will be next years New York Jets
    They might as well trade David Johnson now before he suffers a season ending injury in preseason.

Administrator

Some great insight in this piece on The Athletic with insight from coaches in the game and some analytics on what type of quarterbacks some of the available options are:

https://theathletic.com/2349515/2021...tafford-49ers/

I was particularly intrigued by the part that the 49ers heavily scouted Watson in the lead up to his draft and opted for Solomon Thomas instead, citing that he may not be a fit for Shanahan's system. It's possible they could find a better fit without giving up nearly the same draft capital, which could be the way to go.

I still think Watson is the guy teams spend years trying to find. I know there's a point where it becomes too expensive to try and acquire but I don't think the conversations have gotten close to that. Like, is it unreasonable to suggest that a team would trade it's 1st to have a franchise quarterback for one season? If that's true then hypothetically, wouldn't it be worth it to give up a 1st for every year that the quarterback is on your team? I know it would make it harder to build, but a franchise guy also makes everything that much easier.