Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Help Me Settle an Office Debate

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Help Me Settle an Office Debate

I am just going to simply ask the question so that I do not portray any bias.

Are we in the 21st or 22nd year of the new Millennium?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Help Me Settle an Office Debate

22nd
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Jedi

22nd.

00 was year 1.

Just like we're in the years 2000-2099 but 21st Century
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Stud

22nd

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

Dobber Sports Icon

I would say we are in the 21st of the current millennium.

When the current numbering system was created I doubt they said, let's do this...we will have a time period BC and a time period that follows that AND we will have one year in between those two which we will call year ZERO. Without a year zero, the year 2000 is the final year in its millennium which means that year 2001 was the first year of the current millennium.

Dobber Sports Titan

^That was entirely nonsense. It doesn't matter who "created" what. Everyone starts counting at zero, and it goes up from there. When you start counting at zero, two millenniums (1000 each) takes us to 1999. Add 22 and that takes us to 2021.

- - - Updated - - -

If zero didn't exist then you're just getting rid of a year. 10.1 is still in the tens. 20.2 is still in the twenties. 21.2 is into the second integer past 20.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    ^That was entirely nonsense. It doesn't matter who "created" what. Everyone starts counting at zero, and it goes up from there. When you start counting at zero, two millenniums (1000 each) takes us to 1999. Add 22 and that takes us to 2021.

- - - Updated - - -

If zero didn't exist then you're just getting rid of a year. 10.1 is still in the tens. 20.2 is still in the twenties. 21.2 is into the second integer past 20.
    The problem with your reasoning is that when the current year system was created, it, in fact, did not start with zero. The first year was not 0 AD or 0 BC, it was year 1 AD. The current timeline does this

3BC
    2BC
    1BC
    1AD
    2AD
    2021AD

If we agree that a millennium is a time frame of 1000 years then year 1000 was the one thousandth year AD which mean year 2000 was the final year of its millennium. Which means the 3rd AD millennium actually started in the year 2001 which means 2021 is in fact, the 21st year of the millennium.

Let's try this...count your fingers. Was your first finger number 0 or number 1?

*With all of this said, this is all just created stuff since there is no actual data tracking these numbers and the amount of years is likely actually wrong (even more so considering JC was likely born somewhere between 4 and 6 BC).

Dobber Sports Deity

We are in the 21st century until the calender turn to the year 2100. Then we're in the 22nd century.

We are in the 22nd year I think. It depends on if you consider the very first year ever as year one or year zero. If you believe the first year was recorded as year 0, then 2,000 years had passed at the end of 1999 and a new century started in 2000 – making 2021 the 22nd year of this century. I don't think I would have started a calendar with year 0.

It's all how you interpret that first year.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    The problem with your reasoning is that when the current year system was created, it, in fact, did not start with zero. The first year was not 0 AD or 0 BC, it was year 1 AD. The current timeline does this

3BC
    2BC
    1BC
    1AD
    2AD
    2021AD

If we agree that a millennium is a time frame of 1000 years then year 1000 was the one thousandth year AD which mean year 2000 was the final year of its millennium. Which means the 3rd AD millennium actually started in the year 2001 which means 2021 is in fact, the 21st year of the millennium.

Let's try this...count your fingers. Was your first finger number 0 or number 1?

*With all of this said, this is all just created stuff since there is no actual data tracking these numbers and the amount of years is likely actually wrong (even more so considering JC was likely born somewhere between 4 and 6 BC).
    This is correct, there is no year 0, that point in the timeline is a singularity with years 1BCE and 1AD on either side so the 1st millennium goes from year 1-1000, and the 2nd millennium from 1001-2000. Therefore we are in the 21st year of the 3rd millennium.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Icon

Think of it this way.

You just got a new very wordy book and are going to read 1000 pages per day. The first day you read your 1000 pages. What's the first page that you will read tomorrow, page 1000 or page 1001?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Thought this was going to be a joke. No my head freak’n hurts. Damn you guys!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Just asked my wife... she threw her hands in the air and said that she doesn’t know now and that her head hurts. YOU GUYS MADE MY WIFE’s head hurt!!!

Dobber Sports Titan

Millennium is 1-1000, 1001-2000, 2001-3000. The 21st century actually started January 1st, 2001.

So 2001, 2002, 2003...2021, 2022

We're in the 21st yr.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    22nd.

00 was year 1.

Im going to have to agree with this one.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    22nd.

00 was year 1.

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Millennium is 1-1000, 1001-2000, 2001-3000. The 21st century actually started January 1st, 2001.

So 2001, 2002, 2003...2021, 2022

We're in the 21st yr.
    Thank you everyone for answering.

1) With the help of this forum and some serious coffee-break discussions we determined that:

- The 1st Century began in AD 1 and not in 0
    - Thus each century begins at 1 and goes to 100 (ie 1-100, 101-200) - As per google https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...4dUDCA0&uact=5

- A larger percentage of the population believe that the current century and millenium began on January 1, 2000 which was the root of the discussion.

2) We also came to determine that there is a discrepancy in how people determine the phrase 'We are in the 21st year'

- Some people belive that you are in your 21st year when you are 21 years old and that the time that you are 21 is your 21st year

- Others believe that when you are 21 years old and one day... you are in your 22nd year.... based on the first 365 days of your life being your first year and cumulating in your first birthday.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​