Thread: RV Travel Trailers

Dobber Sports Deity

Default RV Travel Trailers

Anyone here own a travel trailer?

The wife and I are considering investing in one this spring. We've never been travel trailer people in our adult lives although both of us have camped at various times. I own a cottage on a lake so we never really had an interest, but for some reason we've been discussing buying one to do some travelling around Nova Scotia and hopefully, eventually, the maritimes again.

If you have one, did you buy new or used? If you bought used, what did you look for for issues? Experience in buying something used is always important. It's our first one and I am not sure I want to invest the big bucks for a new one (just taking a quick look and these suckers new are expensive LOL!) so I am thinking used for our first one. We arent looking for a super big one but I do own a Ford F150 so towing isn't an issue.

What are some of the lessons you learned the hard way?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: RV Travel Trailers

Oddly... (super oddly)... my sister & bro-in-law just bought a camping trailer (for tow).
    I wouldn't have pegged them for the sort, but it struck their fancy as well.
    I don't know anything about them - but I can link the one they bought (and I can PM you a price they paid... I don't know it yet).

Winnebago Winnie 1780 Drop.
    https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2016-...wd1780-tr27287

Dobber Sports Deity

Very cool. We're looking at a couple different models. Thats a dinky little rig and pretty good for a first time buyer, especially if it's just the two of them. The one we are looking at is a little bit bigger (25'), and older (2011) but the main reason we are looking at that one particular one is due to the cheap price at this time of the year. It's at one of the RV dealers here in my province.

This is the one we are going to check out this week.

https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2011-...e-255bh-tr9611

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports All-Star

I bought my first travel trailer last year Axe. Studied up on them for a few years hence knowing we were going to by one. I would suggest trying to find one of the higher end models used if you can. I bought a Rockwood Lite 2306 trailer. Very happy with it for my small family of three.

It has a queen bed up front and a set of small bunks in back. Perfect for my 9 year old daughter and the extra bunk great for storage or for when we bring along a friend.

If you are buying used, look for extras that can be thrown in. Generators, solar panels, upgraded batteries, mats, plugs, extension chords, equalizer hitches, etc.. These things add up $$ and if you can get them thrown in will save a lot of money in the long run. I had most of these things thrown in when I bought my trailer as the person I bought it off was getting out of the camping game.

Things to look for in the trailer itself? Check to make sure all the appliances are working. AC, fridge (both with electricity and propane), heater, water heater, ect.. Have the light been switched out to LED's? Will save you battery power. I prefer 6V batteries to 12V all things being equal. Inspect tires for uneven wear. As well there are dates on tires. Most trailer tires on used travel trailers are past their best before date. Not a deal breaker, but can be used in negotiations.

Inspect the roof. Look at all the lap sealant on the edges and around roof fixtures. If is is hard and brittle it is past its prime and should be redone. If it is still soft and a bit mushy it likely is still good. Water getting in your trailer is likely one of the most common issues that can arise. Look closely for signs of water damages in cupboards and around edges. On the outside of trailers de-lamination is not a good sign to see in fibreglass models.

I prefer the fibreglass exterior models with aluminum interior bracing, but the aluminum exterior trailers with wooden bracing can often be purchase a little bit cheaper. Both have pros and cons. Most higher end trailers are fibreglass models with the aluminum bracing for what it is worth. Research this a bit to make your choice.

Make sure the awning works. Electric awnings are nice, but certainly not necessary. It only takes a few minutes to put up my manual awning.

I would recommend redoing your lap sealant on the roof on a used trailer in most instances unless it is a fairly new used trailer. Lap sealant has about an 8-10 year life. It is not really all that difficult to do. I did mine myself. If you bring it in to get done it will likely be around $700. A small price to pay for the peace of mind of having a waterproof trailer for years to come. Dicor self levelling lap sealant is the product of choice for the roof. You can find lots of videos on line to guide you through the process.

Those are the first few things that come to mind off the top of my head Axe. I

If you have any questions feel free to contact me.

If I remember anything else I will pass it along.

Good luck!
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Dobber Sports Deity

Awesome, thanks Wonko!

Dobber Sports All-Star

I am not sure what your level of 'handiness' is Axe, but don't let all this info on travel trailers daunt you. I am not the handiest guy in the world but with the help of a knowledgable friend I have been doing all the work on my trailer myself. I resealed the roof and I even put in a new DC outlet so we can run a fan off the battery. Most of the info you need can be found on the web. If you can find a trailer knowledgable person to give you a tour through your new trailer when you get it that would help tonnes. You will find that most of the manuals that come with trailers are horrible. Much better if you can find someone to give you a quick walk through.
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP

Dobber Sports Icon

This is more for those who are interested in financing an RV from an RV dealership.

Be sure to read the financing terms carefully. RV dealers are notorious for not explaining the actual terms of the financing. I have seen more financing agreements that I can count for these products with terms like this (numbers are made up to make a point):

RV Purchase Price: $50,000
    Monthly Payment: $500
    Length of Term: 5 years
    Interest Rate: 10.9%

Part not discussed in detail
    Interest accumulated after 5 years: $14,700
    Total Payments made: $30,000
    Amount Still Owing at end of 5 years: $34,700

Be sure that if you are financing an RV that the term of the financing and the amortization of the loan are the same length.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    This is more for those who are interested in financing an RV from an RV dealership.

Be sure to read the financing terms carefully. RV dealers are notorious for not explaining the actual terms of the financing. I have seen more financing agreements that I can count for these products with terms like this (numbers are made up to make a point):

RV Purchase Price: $50,000
    Monthly Payment: $500
    Length of Term: 5 years
    Interest Rate: 10.9%

Part not discussed in detail
    Interest accumulated after 5 years: $14,700
    Total Payments made: $30,000
    Amount Still Owing at end of 5 years: $34,700

Be sure that if you are financing an RV that the term of the financing and the amortization of the loan are the same length.
    Good to know, thanks!

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Wonko View Post
    I am not sure what your level of 'handiness' is Axe, but don't let all this info on travel trailers daunt you. I am not the handiest guy in the world but with the help of a knowledgable friend I have been doing all the work on my trailer myself. I resealed the roof and I even put in a new DC outlet so we can run a fan off the battery. Most of the info you need can be found on the web. If you can find a trailer knowledgable person to give you a tour through your new trailer when you get it that would help tonnes. You will find that most of the manuals that come with trailers are horrible. Much better if you can find someone to give you a quick walk through.
    The trailer I am looking at is at a dealership not far from my home. I am hoping the weather cooperates and I can look on the roof for the seals around the vents and what not. Lots of snow here in NS right now so it might be hard to see that I like, but hopefully not. I am "ok" for handiness but I do have lots of handy friends LOL!

Dobber Sports All-Star

Perfect if you have a few handy friends.

Where in Nova Scotia do you live Axe? I love NS. Lived out there for 3 years. I live in BC now but I met my wife there so we get back quite often to visit family friends.
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP

Dobber Sports Deity

Perfect if you have a few handy friends.

Where in Nova Scotia do you live Axe? I love NS. Lived out there for 3 years. I live in BC now but I met my wife there so we get back quite often to visit family friends.
    I am just outside of Halifax on the way to the Annapolis Valley.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I am just outside of Halifax on the way to the Annapolis Valley.
    Lovely. I can't wait to get back this summer for a visit if the Covid restrictions are lifted.
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP

Dobber Sports Deity

Lovely. I can't wait to get back this summer for a visit if the Covid restrictions are lifted.
    I brew my own beer. Let me know LOL!

Dobber Sports All-Star

That is awesome Axe! fur sure.
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP