View Poll Results: Which five players' careers have been most derailed by injuries?

Voters
61. This poll is closed
  • Nick Bjugstad

15 24.59%
  • Alexander Edler

14 22.95%
  • Ryan Ellis

12 19.67%
  • Filip Forsberg

24 39.34%
  • Alex Galchenyuk

4 6.56%
  • John Gibson

6 9.84%
  • Taylor Hall

28 45.90%
  • Patrik Hornqvist

14 22.95%
  • Erik Johnson

16 26.23%
  • Matt Murray

11 18.03%
  • Kyle Okposo

26 42.62%
  • Mattieu Perrault

5 8.20%
  • Antii Raanta

34 55.74%
  • Rickard Rakell

12 19.67%
  • James Reimer

2 3.28%
  • Justin Schultz

14 22.95%
  • Jaden Schwartz

24 39.34%
  • Andrew Shaw

5 8.20%
  • Paul Statstny

19 31.15%
  • Mark Stone

7 11.48%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: ROOS LETS LOOSE POLL: Derailed by Injuries

The Magnificent One

Default ROOS LETS LOOSE POLL: Derailed by Injuries

If there's one term synonymous with dobberhockey.com, it's probably Band-Aid Boy, which Dobber coined to refer to players who find a way to get injured seemingly ever year. Our task in this week's poll is not to debate who should or shouldn't be a Band-Aid Boy, but instead to determine which of the listed Band-Aid Boys (https://dobberhockey.com/2019/07/30/...-2019-edition/) have had their careers most hurt - pun intended - due to being Band-Aid Boys.

Specifically, your task is to vote for the five players, from the list of 20, who were unable to reach their full potential due to their frequent injuries – that is, which five would’ve been most improved had they not been hurt so often. Note that I didn’t include anyone on the list who’s under age 25, since it's a little too early to make this type of call about their career, and I also included several very good players, as who's to say they couldn't have been even better but not for their Band-Aid Boy status. One player you won't see on the list though is Kris Letang, as I was afraid he'd be the runaway winner.

As always, please post in this thread to say who you voted for and why. And if some of these players are on your teams, may they somehow defy the odds and stay healthy this season.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

The Magnificent One

Default Re: ROOS LETS LOOSE POLL: Derailed by Injuries

My votes went to:

Edler - It's hard to remember but he had 49 points at age 25, and likely would've been a very productive d-man were it not for his annual injuries

Hornqvist - Every time he seemed to be on the cusp of greatness, he'd get hurt, and over time the frequent injuries took their toll on the physical game he played. Sort of Johan Franzen 2.0.

Johnson - This was a former top pick overall, and maybe he would've fallen short of lofty expectations but one can't but help to look at what's happening to Ekblad now and wonder if it could've happened to Johnson had he just stayed healthy

Schultz - Like Hornqvist, whenever he had a great season, boom he'd get injured and now he's a fantasy afterthought

Stastny - His early career portended sustained greatness, which he never achieved due to his pattern of almost always getting hurt
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Stud

Great question as per usual Rizz. Had to really think about this one.

My votes:

Bjugstad - Had such a unique package. Reminded me of Wheeler (size, raw skills, Minny kid, etc.) with the chance to peak as Wheeler-lite.

EJ - That knee blow-out from the golf cart incident 100% derailed his development imo. He's still a top 4 D, but felt he had the package to become a #1 D for a team.

Raanta - If he keeps his ratios over a full season he's an undisputed #1 G for someone. Fun fact - when you google Raanta one of the first "google questions" that comes up is "Is Antti Raanta hurt?". Says it all.

Perreault - Look at the contract WPG gave him... that was based on what they thought he could become injury-free. Lots of missed upside here imo.

Okposo - After the 13-14 season he looked destined for greatness... even with battling injuries along the way. Sadly, they only got worse (as did he) over time.
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji

Dobber Sports Grand Master

This is going to require some more thought from me before I vote. Raanta is one of my 5, though.

Letang has had a pretty great career, even with the injuries. I've finally taken over a team where he's not on my roster.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.