Thread: Laine vs. Dubois (fantasy)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Laine vs. Dubois (fantasy)

So the Laine owner has approached me about trading me his Laine for my Dubois. He’s worried about Laine’s production in low scoring Columbus and likes the idea of Dubois in Winnipeg’s top 6. I think Laine is the better offensive player but does the trade affect each players value that much? Who do you prefer? It’s the last league listed in my signature. Thanks!
    20 team, 56 player roster (30 minors) Full Dynasty Salary Cap H2H League. G, A, SOG, STP, HIT, BLK, FOW, TK/GV, GPT3, SV, SV%ES
    14 team, 29 player roster (6 Minors) - Keep 20 players + 6 Minors Dynasty H2H League G, A, P, PPG, PPA, PPP, SOG, HIT, BLK, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SHO
    12 team, 18 player roster - Full Re-Draft H2H League. G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG. W, GAA, SV%, SHO

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Laine vs. Dubois (fantasy)

In a dynasty league I like Laine over PLD. Columbus desperately needs goals, and Laine can do that for them. His line mates may not as good as they were in WPG, but he should get every chance to succeed to help CBJ win games.

Dobber Sports Ace

Here is what I would do. PLD is going to get a boost playing with the Jets. I think his value is going to skyrocket as the season goes on. Laine on the other hand, might flounder a bit in CBJ. I might wait until PLD starts producing and looking more like a stud and then theoretically you might have more choices than just Laine. As good as Laine could be, he worries me. He's been injured a fair amount and gone through various slumps. While he absolutely can be an elite winger, and I think CBJ robbed the Jets in this trade, I don't know if I would want to hold on to Laine long term. If you could get more than PLD or a better player than PLD from a different team FOR Laine, I might get Laine and then immediately try to trade him for someone I had more faith in or felt better about. I don't know, like Svechnikov or something. Not sure what he could go for in your league. But PLD's value should still rise now with the Jets. Theoretically, you might be able to just move PLD for a player you like more than Laine in like 3 weeks or whatever.

Really tough call though. And having Laine long term isn't the worst thing. I just seriously worry about his stability and consistency.
    18 Team H2H Dynasty 9x4 cat. Roster 30 + 2 NA, 4 DL. 4C,4LW,4RW,6D,1G,11BN
    Scoring cats are G, A, +\-, PIM, PPP, SHP, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.
    C: Crosby, Horvat, , E. Lindholm (RW), Aho, W. Johnston (RW), Bjugstad,
    LW: Marchand, J. Benn, E. Kane, Fiala, Barbashev (C), Schwartz (C), Namestikov (C)
    RW: M. Tkachuk (LW), JT Miller (C), Batherson, Hyman (LW), Frederic (C), Palmieri
    D: J. Carlson, Josi, Doughty, Pietrangelo, Seider, Gudas, Ekman-Larsson,
    G: Vasilievkiy, Shesterkin, Husso
    NA: Mukhamadullin (D), I. Rosen (RW), D. .Levi (G)
    LTIR: Landeskog (LW), Dach (C)

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by rangerdanger View Post
    Here is what I would do. PLD is going to get a boost playing with the Jets. I think his value is going to skyrocket as the season goes on. Laine on the other hand, might flounder a bit in CBJ. I might wait until PLD starts producing and looking more like a stud and then theoretically you might have more choices than just Laine. As good as Laine could be, he worries me. He's been injured a fair amount and gone through various slumps. While he absolutely can be an elite winger, and I think CBJ robbed the Jets in this trade, I don't know if I would want to hold on to Laine long term. If you could get more than PLD or a better player than PLD from a different team FOR Laine, I might get Laine and then immediately try to trade him for someone I had more faith in or felt better about. I don't know, like Svechnikov or something. Not sure what he could go for in your league. But PLD's value should still rise now with the Jets. Theoretically, you might be able to just move PLD for a player you like more than Laine in like 3 weeks or whatever.

Really tough call though. And having Laine long term isn't the worst thing. I just seriously worry about his stability and consistency.
    Not trying to argue, but curious why you believe Laine has ‘been injured a fair amount.’ In his first 4 seasons, he only missed a total of 12 games, 9 of which were his rookie year. It may just be my speculation, but I believe his ‘injury’ this season was more so the jets wanting to keep him healthy for a trade.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by rangerdanger View Post

Laine's last 3 seasons he played 82, 82, and 68 (in a 68 game season).. he missed a few games as an 18yr old but no worries there.

I disagree with this advice. Laine is going to get all the minutes he wants in CBJ (like Panarin did) because he's now the marquee option. PLD is goi g in as the 2C instead of 1C. Yeah he'll have better wingers, but less time out there and possibly PP2 rather than the PP1 time Laine will have

Make the swap. PLD is the type of player NHL teams look for (big bodied C) in the real world.. but in fantasy hockey, take the guy that's there to put up as many points as he possibly can.

Dobber Sports Pro

I'd definitely go for Laine here.
    12 Team Keep 6: G/A:1 W/SO:2
    C - McDavid, Matthews
    LW - Draisaitl
    RW - ​​Marner
    D - Dahlin, Morrissey
    G -
    B -

12 Team Keep 10 (& 5 Minors)
    : G/A/OTL:1 W:2 SO:3