Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: [TRADE] Laine for DuBois

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: [TRADE] Laine for DuBois

Quote Originally Posted by GinFizz View Post
    Yeah, i think Winnipeg got the better end of the deal.. Neither are elite..
    C'mon dude, 44 goals as 19yr old playing with Bryan Little makes you elite.
    Contract Fantrax 14 teams, 8 keepers. 4 max lifers +/-
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 1F. 5D,2G....5Reserves.
    Goal heavy. G=3.5 A=2 Add 0.5pts for D.
    Goalies:W=3,SO=4,start=2,Save=.1
    Assist +4, OF loss +1 loss= -1 Goal against -1
    C:MACKINNON,Kadri,Rossi,Thompson
    LW: KANE,HUBERDEAU,Marchand,kotkaniemi,Colton,N.Robert son
    RW:KUCHEROV,RANTANEN,Kessel,Bjorkstrand
    FOX,BURNS,Jones,Girard,lundkist,Hanafin
    G:CAMPBELL,Swayman
    Minors:Mctavish,Johnson

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I didn't dodge your question at all. Your question was Don't we all agree PLD is an elite C? I answered it with a pretty direct answer.

Is your new question fantasy related or real life?
    OK, fair, but if McDavid is the standard for "elite" NHL player there is one elite NHL player in the world right now.
    I saw a lot of people saying Winnipeg got fleeced in this deal and Laine should fetch a lot more (you being actually the exception) so what I wanted to understand is what they think it would be an actual fair deal. Just that.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by ddp View Post
    C'mon dude, 44 goals as 19yr old playing with Bryan Little makes you elite.
    I get it, Laine is a fantastic goal scorer but if you look at their overall point total the past two seasons, there's not much difference between them and this is with PLD playing with a lesser degree of quality around him. Add in the fact he's cheaper and signed for one more year, for a pretty reasonable cap hit, he isn't all that shabby.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Both sides win here. These guys were both toxic and now they have a chance to get back to some new normal. I have never been that high on Laine. Watched him enough the last few years. The guys around him helped him a lot. Dubois will be nice piece for Winnipeg and he will likely get a lot of exposure to great players like ehlers, connor and wheeler on the wing.
    10 Owner Keepers. Keep 8

Positions----C:3 LW:3 RW:3 D:6 G:2
    Skaters: Assists/Blocks/FOW/Goals/Hits/SOG/STP
    Defense premium 1.5/1 Goalies: GA/SV/W

Kootenay League

C: Draisaitl(c,l), Zibanejad, Beniers, Nelson
    RW:Meier(l,r), Kyrou, Tippett, D.Stome(c,r), Stone
    LW: Tkachuk(l,r), Panarin, McCann(c,l), Marchessault(l,r),
    D: Josi, McAvoy, Morrissey, Montour, Toews, Hronek, Severson, Orlov
    G: Gustavsson, Kuemper, Gibson

Dobber Sports Genius

I get it, Laine is a fantastic goal scorer but if you look at their overall point total the past two seasons, there's not much difference between them and this is with PLD playing with a lesser degree of quality around him. Add in the fact he's cheaper and signed for one more year, for a pretty reasonable cap hit, he isn't all that shabby.
    One could argue the d men in Columbus are an huge upgrade to the Offensive D in Winterpeg. I'm not saying Dubois isn't any good, what I'm baffled by is the number of people that's aren't impressed with Laine. If you watch the guy play, it's special. Its amazing honestly. Such a release and he looks huge out there. Sweet hands. Be honest, if your building a team for the NHL you don't prefer Laine over PLD? Who cares about position.

Dobber Sports Master

He is elite which is why his wanting out really did a number on Winnipeg long term. I mean, imagine he was committed to the team. They’d have a generational scorer for his career. Now they barely had him at all, and traded him for a strong centre who will walk in 18 mos. Man, what the attitude of a player can do to a franchise, both good and bad.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I get it, Laine is a fantastic goal scorer but if you look at their overall point total the past two seasons, there's not much difference between them
    Oh please Axe... Let's be real here. Goals >>> Points. Your argument is like saying Ovie and Sebastien Aho are equals lol

And YES - 44 goals at 19 years old = elite.

PLD isn't even in the same solar system...

Dobber Sports Pro

This whole thing about being elite or not is purely subjective. There is no definition of what an elite player is. Is it being a top 10 player at your position? If so, neither Laine nor Dubois are there.

The only argument people have for Laine being elite is that he's a great goal scorer. That's undeniably true. He's definitely top 10 league wide in goal scoring prowess. Does that one quality make him an elite player? Does one player only have to be elite at one thing to be considered an elite player? Philip Danault is a top 10 two way forward (top 7 finishes in the last two years for the Selke). Does that make him an elite forward? Probably not. Is it because, as fans, we're conditioned into thinking goal scoring is more important than goal prevention? Maybe.

Regardless, this whole discussion is pointless. Whether Laine or Dubois are "elite" or not is purely subjective. What's much more interesting is whether their fit on their new team makes them better or worse. I believe the fit for Dubois in Winnipeg is better than that of Laine in Columbus. Feels like Dubois will be insulated by Schofield and will get one great winner on his side while Laine will need to be better at creating his own scoring chances.

Dobber Sports Genius

Brett Hull, Mike bossy, teemu? Elite Goal scorers are rare. Columbus got a rare talent for the price of a whiney decent center. Jets got a good 2nd center....jackets got an all star winger. No way Dubois is going to an all star game in his situation.

Dobber Sports Genius

I find the debate funny. Prior to this fiasco I don't remember anyone talking about PLD as whiny or spoiled, etc, etc. In fact, after the recent playoffs the talk seem to be mostly that he was a beast and ready to break though. Granted, I don't watch much of the CBJ and therefore PLD by default so I haven't seen his game enough to weigh in on him.

I have watched MANY Jets games over the past few seasons and there have been a lot of things that strike me as concerning about Laine. I'll preface those by saying that he does, without a doubt, have and Elite shot. His combination of release+accuracy is pretty special and I doubt you'll find any rational person who would disagree, though maybe it should be slightly concerning that his SH% has fallen into the 12%ish range the past two years and if it continues that way it may be a discussion worth revisiting.

One of my biggest peeves with him actually ties in well with PLD's final few games in Columbus where he looked disinterested, disengaged, like a passenger who was hoping the play would come to him, playing "small".

Watching Laine a lot since he came into the league I swear I have seen those negative things in his play far more than is acceptable for an individual in ANY profession. Sometimes its for a game here and there, other times it has stretched into weeks. And its not that it's just a lack of production, it's that there appears to be a lack of meaningful effort during these stretches which effectively leaves his team short handed. He'll float around like a beer-leaguer while his teammates do the work. Maybe he pots a few goals because he's wide open and has a great shot, but the rest of the time his team is getting buried in chances against.

There's that Laine who deservedly draws criticism, but then theres also the version we saw in the Jets opening game this season. That player was a beast. Active, engaged, creating his own opportunities. The problem over his career is that the "lazy" version seems to pop up as often as, or even more often, than the dominant one with the rest of his output falling in the range of a perfectly respectable top 6 winger. Not an elite player, but an acceptable player with an elite skill.

In a way he reminds me of Kovalev. Not stylistically at all, but as someone who has the natural tools top be one of the best but at times looks like he doesn't care and is just showing up to do the bare minimum required to collect his paycheque. Maybe it's a maturity issue, he's still just 22 at the moment, but maybe not. Kovalev was like that throughout his career from what I remember. The concerning thing for plenty of people is that when someone with an attitude profile like this gets his big contract he'll turn into a Semin or a Yashin and just go through the paces.

I'm interested to see if he can raise his game enough to drive play consistently, since as far as reputation goes he should be by far the best forward for the BJs compared to his rank on the Jets where even at his best he would be 3rd IMO. I will say that last season, compared to his prior 3, he did seem to show more commitment to being a better player overall. Not enough to bring his weaknesses to average but enough that they were starting to seem passable. If he can continue that trend and be a true #1 on a team that lacks a Wheeler, Scheifele, and Conner to feed him on the PP and Ehlers to help 5v5 against 2nd wave defence, because it'll be nothing but top shutdown units now, then I will be very, very impressed.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    I did not like Dubois's interview last night on HNIC. A flat out liar as far as I could tell. Dodged every question, super nervous (obviously, that's ok), but what I didn't like is that he didn't come across honest one bit.

I think both teams lose this trade, because neither player will re-sign. Chevy pretty much said it in his interview, but the Jets' window is now. They need to win now and so they have a good player for two years instead of one. They like their wingers and think they can win without Laine. Calculated risk since I think we're in this divisional realignment for 2 seasons and not one, so they like their chances better this way and I almost have to agree..

But this is turning into the NBA with these player attitudes and demands at this age.. So situations like this will only become more common and I think it sucks.
    agree on that Dubois interview
    24 team cap league, HTH Pts. 25 PLAYER ROSTER C3/LW3/RW3/F3/D6/G1

G & A = 1PT.
    HT.BLK.PIM.SOG.=0.05 / PPP=0.5/ FOW=0.01/ +/- =.25
    W=2 SHO=3 SV=0.1 GA=-1 OL=1 SHL=1

Connor - Barkov - Ehlers
    Hagel- Couturier - Tarasenko
    Frederic - Tyler Johnson - Nichuskin
    Vatrano - - Guriano

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I really regret my usage of the word elite two pages back.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Oh please Axe... Let's be real here. Goals >>> Points. Your argument is like saying Ovie and Sebastien Aho are equals lol

And YES - 44 goals at 19 years old = elite.

PLD isn't even in the same solar system...
    Whether you're scoring them or setting them up, at the end of the day, they are all points in the other teams net. Just because one guy scores all the goals and the other guy sets them up doesnt make the guy setting them up any less important. I am sorry if you don't agree with that, but I do believe that. Thats like saying Brett Hull was an amazing player but Adam Oates was just ok. LOL! Different skillset, but at the end of the day, both were productive and helping their team score. To me, that fits the Dubois/Laine comparison as well. They both have different skillsets that make them different styles of players. One is a center, one is a winger. The top centers in the NHL (not fantasy) will always hold more weight in comparison to the top wingers; always. That's not just my opinion. That's pretty much anyone in the NHLs opinion.

And for the record, I am not even talking about the word elite when I say that statement.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by ddp View Post

Brett Hull, Mike bossy, teemu? Elite Goal scorers are rare. Columbus got a rare talent for the price of a whiney decent center. Jets got a good 2nd center....jackets got an all star winger. No way Dubois is going to an all star game in his situation.
    I'm sorry but Laine isn't close to those players yet. He has one 44 goals season. I understand people are excited by his potential and rightfully so, but let's wait for him to actually score 50 in a season before comparing him to some of the greatest scorers of all time.

Dobber Sports Titan

Laine doesn't move the needle in CBJ's issues enough for me to like this trade for CBJ.

Dubois doesn't move the needle enough in Jets issues enough for me to like this trade for the Jets.

Both used an asset that wasn't happen to not improve the teams major issues, and CBJ brought in a guy they didn't even talk to about if he would consider an extension on the team. Seems like they were unsuccessful in moving both guys (3 guys) until now and decided to swap problems.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll