Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: [TRADE] Laine for DuBois

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: [TRADE] Laine for DuBois

Alright, so I have basic understanding of this now.

Winnipeg got "ripped off" because nobody watches Columbus and people want to overrate one year three seasons ago. I understand. Well I'll have you know Sam Bennett scored 19 goals as a 19 year old, which isn't 44 but is real good for a player that age. He's gonna break out any day now.

See everyone saying Dubois is gonna hate Winnipeg because he wanted a "bigger stage" and didn't get one, IMO, are misinterpreting the messaging. A bigger stage doesn't have to be New York or Chicago, it can just be a bigger media market with a bigger fanbase and a larger national presence. Winnipeg (or any Canadian market) is all of that.

Lots of comments about how Dubois might be a good 2nd line center that tops out at 70 points. 24 centers played at a 70 point pace last year. 29 did it 2 years ago. A 70 point player (which he hasn't done yet) would be a 1st line C playing on the 2nd line. Columbus got a (likely) mid-range 1C for a midrange 1RW. That's fair value or maybe even a win for Columbus.

As for Roslovic, I mean, I generally consider Maurice to be a moron, but he's in his D+6 season. If he deserved more ice time than that, he would have been given it. His NCAA and AHL numbers are "fine". I'm pretty comfortable saying we know what he is, in it's what he's already shown. Are we still holding out hope that Senyshyn, Svechnikov, White, and Merkley are going to be impact top 6 players?

Dobber Sports Star

There was a time when Taylor Hall was traded straight up for Adam Larsson. Fair or not, wingers are worth less in the trade market than C and D.

It is probably a good thing there isn't absolute consensus on who won the trade. That likely means it was more or less even-ish. If everyone thought the same side won, it probably was very lopsided
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Whether you're scoring them or setting them up, at the end of the day, they are all points in the other teams net. Just because one guy scores all the goals and the other guy sets them up doesnt make the guy setting them up any less important. I am sorry if you don't agree with that, but I do believe that. Thats like saying Brett Hull was an amazing player but Adam Oates was just ok. LOL! Different skillset, but at the end of the day, both were productive and helping their team score. To me, that fits the Dubois/Laine comparison as well. They both have different skillsets that make them different styles of players. One is a center, one is a winger. The top centers in the NHL (not fantasy) will always hold more weight in comparison to the top wingers; always. That's not just my opinion. That's pretty much anyone in the NHLs opinion.

And for the record, I am not even talking about the word elite when I say that statement.
    I was going to use an Oates comparison, thanks for bringing it up. You laugh but honestly if adam Oates is playing with Turner stephenson and John Chabot, do they put more pts in the net vs Brett hull, Nick Kyprios and Akie berg?
    C'mon! Lol at least 1 guy can put the puck in the net at an elite level. Oates ain't turning Chabot into a half decent scorer.
    Contract Fantrax 14 teams, 8 keepers. 4 max lifers +/-
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 1F. 5D,2G....5Reserves.
    Goal heavy. G=3.5 A=2 Add 0.5pts for D.
    Goalies:W=3,SO=4,start=2,Save=.1
    Assist +4, OF loss +1 loss= -1 Goal against -1
    C:MACKINNON,Kadri,Rossi,Thompson
    LW: KANE,HUBERDEAU,Marchand,kotkaniemi,Colton,N.Robert son
    RW:KUCHEROV,RANTANEN,Kessel,Bjorkstrand
    FOX,BURNS,Jones,Girard,lundkist,Hanafin
    G:CAMPBELL,Swayman
    Minors:Mctavish,Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by ddp View Post
    I was going to use an Oates comparison, thanks for bringing it up. You laugh but honestly if adam Oates is playing with Turner stephenson and John Chabot, do they put more pts in the net vs Brett hull, Nick Kyprios and Akie berg?
    C'mon! Lol at least 1 guy can put the puck in the net at an elite level. Oates ain't turning Chabot into a half decent scorer.
    And Hull isn't scoring 50 if he's getting set up by Chabot.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Meh - he might be.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Yea, if there's one thing Brett Hull was known for it was the highlight reel individual efforts.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    Meh - he might be.
    Exactly! He just might especially if he s playing against Aki Berg, Nick K and Oates! �� lol

Dobber Sports Initiate

I mean Jumbo Joe turned Cheechoo into a 56 goal scorer, Murray into a 40 goal scorer and Setoguchi into a 30 goal scorer....so maybe....
    8tm Keep 7FWD,4D,1G
    C,3LW,3RW,5D,2G (positional game played cap)
    G(3),A(2),+/-(1),PM(0.5),PPP(1),GW(1),S(0.4),W(4),SV(0.2),GA(-1),SO(2)
    C:Aho, Barkov, Pavelski(RW), Nugent-Hop(LW)
    R:Rantanen, Pasta, Konecny
    L:Guentzel, Gaudreau, Keller(RW), Benn
    D:Makar, Karlsson, Sergachev, Dobson, Hronek, Sanderson
    G:Vasilevskiy, Hart, Kuemper, Kotchetkov, Husso

Dobber Sports Deity

We'll never know because he didnt play with those guys.

It's like you're trying to say that Oates was only good because he played with Brett Hull. You do know in his 1300+ games in the NHL, he only played less than three seasons with Hull in STL, but he still had over 1000 assists in the NHL. News flash, he was pretty good, and made others around him pretty good too. His best season was actually in Boston away from Hull in 92/93. Cam Neely only played 13 games that year and yet Oates still managed to get 45 goals and 97 assists that season. You know who he made better that season? Dmitri Kvartalnov. Ya, you can say it with me. Who? The RW had 30 goals that season playing with Adam Oates LOL! Joe Juneau played the left side and had 32 goals and 70 assists himself.

Anyway, we're getting off track. As I've said earlier, both of these guys are excellent players but I prefer the Winnipeg side more. It's just how I see it.

Cheers!
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Genius

All good points. Crosby turned kunitz fantasy relevant but couldnt do it with Kessel!! I certainly hope when the divisions turn back to normal the Jets do great with Dubois. For now, Go Habs Go! And go Laine go! Cheers

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    Meh - he might be.
    yup... I mean with a career high of 86. 50 would be a 42% decrease. Oates to Chabot... I'd take the over on Hull landing with 50+
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Jedi

All good points. Crosby turned kunitz fantasy relevant but couldnt do it with Kessel!! I certainly hope when the divisions turn back to normal the Jets do great with Dubois. For now, Go Habs Go! And go Laine go! Cheers
    Well...

Kessel had seasons of 70, 82 and 92 points with Pitts. Whether he played with Sid or not - there's a Crosby affect taking place. Teams load up to defend Sid - leaving Kessel mismatched all season

Kessel also had 2 previous 80pt seasons and 4 - 30+ goal seasons. He was fantasy relevant without Crosby anyway.

I get what you're trying to do, just doesn't work with Kessel. he's been fantasy relevant for over a decade.

Dobber Sports Jedi

The real question here comes about the trade deadline in April. Traded players need 7-14 days to quarantine.
    That leaves like 2 weeks of reg. season play for players to acclimatize.

I think we'll see a lot of early moves to give those players more time to settle in.

Dobber Sports Superstar

It's tough to say what side I prefer here as I don't know a lot about PLD, but from what I've heard and taking a quick look at his underlying numbers, I think he can be a more impactful player in the game overall. I think Winnipeg did well here.

On the otherside, I've followed Laine more closely and to me he is overrated. He has a great shot and can put the puck in the net when setup, but he hasn't shown a great ability to create as of yet and the underlying numbers support this; he doesn't drive play and seems to need talent around him that can in order to thrive. Maybe he can grow with time, but his penchant to be streaky and appear uninterested at times makes me think he doesn't quite have the drive to do this. Someone mentioned Kovalev previously, shich I think is a great comparison, albeit without the ability to create like Kovalev did. I think his first two years in the league he had an elevated S% and having the 12% we've seen the last two seasons seems more reasonable, even for an elite shooter. I think he's going to have a hell of a time playing in Columbus under Tortorella and don't think he will thrive in their environment.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I get it, Laine is a fantastic goal scorer but if you look at their overall point total the past two seasons, there's not much difference between them and this is with PLD playing with a lesser degree of quality around him. Add in the fact he's cheaper and signed for one more year, for a pretty reasonable cap hit, he isn't all that shabby.
    I dunno Axe

PLD's numbers shot up one year because he was stapled to Panarin, an elite winger, and with guys like Atkinson and Anderson on the other wing. Even then his points did not rival Laine's best years. Also just taking into account the last 2 years means putting a lot of weight into a comparison using PLD's best season and Laine's worst.

Anyway

I know who I'd want in fantasy. In the real NHL, I know it's hard to land a good young centre and there's a premium on them. I guess we just saw what that's worth.
    10-team H2H points keeper league, keep 4
    G: 2, A: 2, SOG: 0.15, Hit: 0.15, Block: 0.15, W: 3.5, Sv: 0.025, SO: 6
    7 F, 3 D, 1 G

2022-2023 Roster:
    F: Connor McDavid, Steven Stamkos, Artemi Panarin, Jack Hughes, Mark Stone, Josh Norris, Tyler Bertuzzi, PL Dubois, Sam Bennett, Tom Wilson (IR)
    D: Kris Letang, Drew Doughty, Brent Burns, Shayne Gostisbehere
    G: Ilya Sorokin, Thatcher Demko