Thread: I believe I can compete this year....Change my mind.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default I believe I can compete this year....Change my mind.

See my team in the signature but also consider this trade I am working on.

Reilly/Krug/Bobrovsky/Kreider/6 rd pick

For

Palat/Sergachev/Jack Hughes/John Gibson/4th rd pick

More hits and blocks coming in plus the Hughes upside with FW..a goalie swap and a early pick. My D gets a downgrade but Petry and Klingberg are playing well.
    Yahoo Fantasy League H2H 12 Team Six Keeper League
    El Volantes

C, C, LW, LW, RW, RW, D, D, D, D, Util, G, G, G, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, IR+, IR+, IR+, NA

Stats:
    G,A,PPP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK, W, GAA, SV% and Shutouts.

4 game minimum starts for goalies per week.

Centers - Couturier/Hayes(C)
    Left Wing - Tartar(LW,RW)/Laine(LW,RW)
    Right Wing – Stamkos(C,LW,RW)//E. Lindholm(C,RW)
    Utility Guy – J McCann (C,LW)
    D-Men -- Fox/Provorov/Slavin/Pulock
    Goalies - Hart/Nedeljkovic/Bobrovsky/Elliott/Halak

Bench –Cirelli(C,RW)/Hughes(LW,C)/Lehtonen (D)/Kubalik(LW/RW)

IR -- Raanta (G)

"The Dude Abides."

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: I believe I can compete this year....Change my mind.

Can't really speak to your potential to compete - so much would depend on the makeup of other teams in your 12-teamer. But yes, I think you've got a solid squad... not "championship-level" in my eyes but competitive for sure.

That said, I'm not a huge fan of this deal for you - in terms of competing this year. Long-term, it's more palatable. It all comes down to who you're keeping with those 6 spots, in order to fairly assess. I'd currently guess your 6 keepers, in your set-up, as Hart, Stamkos, Rielly, Barkov, Couturier and either a 2nd G or Krug/Petry.

Looking at the deal:

Kreider/Palat - let's call it a wash.
    Gibson/Bob - basically a wash for me too, although longer term I'd prefer to have Gibson over Bob (relevant if he's in your 6 keeps).
    Krug/Sergachev - immediate production likely goes in favour of Krug, longer term, I'm fine with Sergachev and his upside as being as valuable.
    Pick swap - clearly you upgrade here although 4-from-6 isn't massive. It's a sweetener.
    Rielly/Hughes - Here's the meat of the deal. You're basically a 7F/4D start set-up, which for me, gives a LOT more value to D vs. F based on replacement options. 12 teams x 4D means 48 D in play vs 12 x 7F which is only 84F. Tons of value left on benches and/or waiver wire. With HIT/BLK the breadth of D who have value increase too though... so depending on your roster, if you've got enough scorers at F, you can still find value in D who don't score much but offer big peripherals. It's a strategy decision.

Both Rielly and Hughes should be a top 6 keeper moving forward, so no one is really being displaced (save maybe Krug if you kept him).

All that to say - this is close enough for me that the tie-breaker comes down to 2 things:

1) Knowing your league. You know how (in)active your league is. If you're confident you can swing trades when needed, by all means embrace some additional risk.
    2) Who do you like most. If you're a huge fan of J.Hughes and believe he'll hit the lofty expectations - go for it. Same goes if you're big on Rielly though. Whoever you like more or happens to be "your" guy - have some fun and get him on your team.

tl:dr
    This deal is a step sideways, not a huge win or loss in my eyes. If you want to compete THIS year, I likely hold. If you're more focused on the future, I likely pull the trigger. But either way, this doesn't max your chances for this year or crush your future... so don't overthink it.

Hope that long diatribe helped lol.
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: I believe I can compete this year....Change my mind.

If you think you can compete this year, stick with Reilly and Krug. Depth at D is valuable based on your league setup, and the upgrade at forward is negligible compared to the downgrade in your D.
    12 Teams H2H Dynasty, 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 12 bench
    G: 4.5 A: 2.5 STP: 1 SOG/Hits/Blocks: 0.5 W: 3 SV: 0.25 GA: -1 SHO: 2

C: Zibanejad, Couturier, Couture, Kadri, Nelson, Pageau
    LW: Miller, E. Kane, Schenn, Crouse, Vatrano, Henrique
    RW: Kucherov, Wilson, Giroux, Toffoli, Tippett, Wheeler, Eberle, Brown
    D: Chabot, S. Jones, DeAngelo, Krug, Spurgeon, Orlov, Gudas, Fehervary, Fowler
    G: Vasilevskiy, Hellebuyck, Thompson, Montembeault
    IR: Landeskog

21 minors (< 80GP):
    F : Miroshnichenko, Brink, Kovalenko, Beckman, Phillips, Sokolov, Farrell, Poitras, Dufour, Whitelaw
    D : Spence, Svozil, Pickering, Lacombe, Kaiser
    G: Silovs, Fowler, Bussi, Ersson, Zherenko, Kolosov