Thread: When can Lafreniere be dropped?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default When can Lafreniere be dropped?

I know it's too early, so my gut is telling my brain to shut up, but Labanc and Tuch are just sitting there. I feel like their upside is at least on par with whatever Lafreniere can do this season. Two more weeks? Three? I held onto Jackie Hughes for way too long last season.
    Yahoo One Year League, Weekly H2H Category
    Start: 3C/3LW/3RW/5D/2G
    Categories: G/A/P/PPP/+-/SOG/PIM/HIT/BLK; GS/W/SV%/SO

C: Zibanejad Suzuki Jenner Couturier
    LW: Kaprizov KConnor Pacioretty Huberdeau
    RW: Pastrnak Debrincat Rakell Lafreniere
    D: Josi Werenski Theodore Weegar Nurse Martinez Romanov
    G: Vasilevskiy Daccord Lyon
    IR+: Bedard

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Re: When can Lafreniere be dropped?

Not a chance I drop Lafreniere for those two for at least a month

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow View Post
    Not a chance I drop Lafreniere for those two for at least a month
    Agreed. Hold onto Laf. He's in a MUCH better position than Hughes was in his first year.

I’d say feel free to drop Laf for Tuch if you’re comfortable doing so 3 games into the season knowing that’s the circumstance.

Imo the former’s ceiling is probably similar to the latter’s floor. Dunno but not exactly bullish on a magical rookie campaign for Laf considering the logjam of depth he’s playing behind in NY. Don’t think the opportunities are there for him this year just like they weren’t for Kakko the previous year...just way too many options to get a read on and he hasn’t been gifted top line minutes which makes it that much harder to move up the ranks immediately.

On the flip side, you have Tuch who’s been above 0.5p/g the past couple years and he’s only grown more and more into a bigger role in Vegas. People forget he’s 24 and still developing. Last playoffs he took a huge step forward and it seems to have followed through opening the season with 4 points in 4 games. I see his ceiling being 0.5p/g and optimistically see 0.75p/g the way he’s begun whereas 0.5p/g for Laf being best case scenario considering the circumstances as discussed with the Rangers forward group.

maybe I end up being wrong here but that’s just the feeling I have
    H2H weekly matchups | 12 teams | 2C • 3W • 3D • 1UTIL • 2G • 3BN • 2IR+ | 3 weekly moves

Scoring | 4G, 3A, 0.3+/-, 1PPP, 5SHG, 3SHA, 3GWG, 0.4SOG, 0.2FW, -0.2FL, 0.3HIT, 0.3BLK | 4W, -1GA, 0.25SV, 6SHO

ROSTER:
    (C,W) Stamkos, Giroux
    (C) Barkov, Couturier
    (W) M.Tkachuk, Konecny, Svechnikov, Caufield
    (D) Josi, Morrissey, Theodore, Sanderson
    (G) Bobrovsky, Husso
    (IR+) Vasilevskiy, Matheson

Record: 2-1-0

Dobber Sports Deity

When are people going to learn that 9 times out of 10, 18 year old kids will struggle coming into the NHL.

At this point, you might as well hold him and hope he can find his way. It was well documented that Lafreniere was going to start on the third line with Chytil and probably get PP2 time. Not a great recipe for success. Hopefully he can work his way into the top six, but I am not expecting it any time soon.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    When are people going to learn that 9 times out of 10, 18 year old kids will struggle coming into the NHL.

At this point, you might as well hold him and hope he can find his way. It was well documented that Lafreniere was going to start on the third line with Chytil and probably get PP2 time. Not a great recipe for success. Hopefully he can work his way into the top six, but I am not expecting it any time soon.
    This one is mostly on the fine folks at Dobber for Lafreniere's high projection in the guide. I trust them to take all factors into account and give a reasonable estimate, and this one seems way out to lunch given deployment. But maybe things change?

I'll hold for now, give him another few weeks until something magical shows up on the waiver wire. Thanks for the advice folks, rep given!
    Yahoo One Year League, Weekly H2H Category
    Start: 3C/3LW/3RW/5D/2G
    Categories: G/A/P/PPP/+-/SOG/PIM/HIT/BLK; GS/W/SV%/SO

C: Zibanejad Suzuki Jenner Couturier
    LW: Kaprizov KConnor Pacioretty Huberdeau
    RW: Pastrnak Debrincat Rakell Lafreniere
    D: Josi Werenski Theodore Weegar Nurse Martinez Romanov
    G: Vasilevskiy Daccord Lyon
    IR+: Bedard

Dobber Sports Deity

Have you tried going the trade route and shopping him around your league?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Laf will be playing RW1 tonight with Kreider(LW)-Ziba(C).
    PP2 time as well.

I think the Rangers are trying to kick start several players, including R.Strome on PP2.

Dobber Sports Genius

I generally stay as far away from 18 year old rookies (in one year leagues) as I can. Sure, everyone once and a while a player has a magical season, but they are few and far between. If Lafreniere score at a pro-rated 60 point season that would be an exceptional outcome for him. Only 6 player have accomplished this in the last 20 years (Crosby, McDavid, MacKinnon, Laine, Skinner, Nugent-Hopkins).

https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/play...l-players.html
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Administrator

In a one-year league I'd say Tuch and Labanc have as much upside as Lafreniere. I'd have no issue grabbing the hotter hand. It's not like you would be dropping Lafreniere for Tyler Motte.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Too early yet IMO. With that said I'm probably willing to jump ship quicker than other GMs, depending on FA options. I just think in a shortened seasoned for one year leagues it will pay off to jump on more immediate production. And with weekly lineups you can't always afford to just wait for better usage and scoring. I'd be tempted to grab Tuch as well.

BUT I'd still hold based on linemates the last two games and tonight. Give it another week or two. If his minutes are still pretty low and scoring/peripherals aren't quite there then see who's available.

- - - Updated - - -

Too early yet IMO. With that said I'm probably willing to jump ship quicker than other GMs, depending on FA options. I just think in a shortened seasoned for one year leagues it will pay off to jump on more immediate production. And with weekly lineups you can't always afford to just wait for better usage and scoring. I'd be tempted to grab Tuch as well.

BUT I'd still hold based on linemates the last two games and tonight. Give it another week or two. If his minutes are still pretty low and scoring/peripherals aren't quite there then see who's available.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Laf will be playing RW1 tonight with Kreider(LW)-Ziba(C).
    PP2 time as well.

I think the Rangers are trying to kick start several players, including R.Strome on PP2.
    It sounds like Lafreniere will actually be playing LW while Kreider shifts to RW.

Vince Z. Mercogliano
    @vzmercogliano
    It sounds like DQ will move Lafrenière back to LW and try Kreider at RW on that top line with Mika Zibanejad. He said he hopes it will give Laf "a little more comfort." #NYR