Thread: Your thoughts on my goalie situ

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Your thoughts on my goalie situ

Joined a new league this year with weekly starts.

4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 3 Bench
    (Prospect Requirement, Under 26 years old with under 164 games played (under 41 games played for Goalies)

Cats are: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK, W, GAA, SV%

My goalies (start 2) are Saros, Samsonov, Vanecek and Husso with the latter 3 being prospect eligible for this season so they can move back and forth between pro roster and farm as required.

I've been considering packaging one up for more scoring help but I'm leery on pulling the trigger.

My concerns are: 1) I have a distinct advantage over most if not all teams right now because of the flexibility I have where Saros is the only tender that needs to remain on my main roster. I don't really want to give that up as it provides me with so many options with picking and choosing based on goalie opposition strength.
    2) The compressed schedule and Covid will eventually put strain on all teams goalies and again, I can't help but think I have an advantage in at least possibly avoiding losing all goalie cats in a week due to heavy workloads causing injury or sickness.
    3) Cats ratio is 11/3 in favour of skaters so even with no cat wins for goalies, I'm still able to win the week.

So where do I go from here?

Is the "handcuff" less important in a weekly start (I've never played that format before)?

If I do give up a goalie, which one? I have had interest in Saros, Samsonov and Vanecek and no interest at all in Husso. If I had a choice I'd move Husso and keep the 2 starters with the handcuff but again, this is a weekly start so it really depends on how the scheduled games fall. I have no issue with keeping Husso as I think he is capable of unseating Binnington on a good St. L. team. Due to the 56 game schedule, he will not make his max games played as a prospect this season which means I can start him on the farm next year, and, depending on the split, Samsonov and Vanecek could also retain eligibility too.

My thoughts would be to sell one of Samsonov/Vanecek and keep 3 goalies from different teams to help mitigate any Covid issues.

I'll also note that I have Justus Annunen and with Colorado's goalie contracts coming up next year for Grubauer and Francouz the following year, they MAY be inclined to bring him over as he is on his ELC this year. Whether he plays with the big club is a different story but we should know more next season.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this and what direction would you go if this was your team.
    14 team H2H Dynasty: 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 6Bench

G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, PPP, HITS, BLK,
    W, L, GA, GAA, SA, SV, Sv%, SO

Center: Kuznetzov, Johansen, Glass(RW), Hayton
    LW: T. Johnson(C/RW), Gurianov(RW), Labanc(RW), Zucker(RW),
    RW: Kucherov, Vorocek, Atkinson, Konecny,
    Defence: Josi, Trouba , Klingberg, Morrissey, Zadorov, Gudas,
    G: Fleury, Rittich
    Bench: Steel(C), Watson(LW/RW), Comtois(LW), Blais (LW/RW), Zaitsev(D), Saros(G)

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Your thoughts on my goalie situ

Tough to say without knowing how many teams in your league. Really dictates the scarcity (and therefore the value) of the position.

It could be worth acquiring a skater, but it really depends on getting value back. I would be open to moving one of the WSH pair if you can guarantee you're improving with the skater that you're acquiring. Otherwise it might make sense just to roll with the flexible roster for now.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Yeah sorry on the lack of info.

20 team league
    23 man pro team
    27 man farm
    Unlimited Junior team - players not to exceed 3 years past NHL draft date.

Needless to say, there is nothing on the WW
    14 team H2H Dynasty: 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 6Bench

G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, PPP, HITS, BLK,
    W, L, GA, GAA, SA, SV, Sv%, SO

Center: Kuznetzov, Johansen, Glass(RW), Hayton
    LW: T. Johnson(C/RW), Gurianov(RW), Labanc(RW), Zucker(RW),
    RW: Kucherov, Vorocek, Atkinson, Konecny,
    Defence: Josi, Trouba , Klingberg, Morrissey, Zadorov, Gudas,
    G: Fleury, Rittich
    Bench: Steel(C), Watson(LW/RW), Comtois(LW), Blais (LW/RW), Zaitsev(D), Saros(G)

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Handcuffs are less important in weekly start leagues, unless the starter gets hurt.

I like your goalie situation, honestly. You have a lot of flexibility for that second spot, and you have goalies who at least have shown enough to be NHL starter caliber - or more. Saros is NHL caliber. Plus, Vanecek & HUsso are almost certain not to hit max games to lose prospect status. Those advantages are real, and you are wise to see them. Your league seems like one I'm in, where every goalie on a NHL roster is on a team, unless they are literally getting called up for the first time ever and they aren't a prized prospect.

I'd hold off for now, and let things develop a bit. Do you have a known weak spot in your skater categories to either dump or to try and shore up?
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.