Thread: Sports with no cable tv?

Dobber Sports Star

Default Sports with no cable tv?

Hey all. A few months ago, I cut the cable and moved to Netflix, Disney, Amazon Prime and YouTube. I mostly watch on the big screen through my Xbox One. I haven’t really missed cable and I am saving some cash.

So, now that hockey has returned, I would like an option to watch without going back to cable. I have streamed a couple of games and it is pretty decent with a free stream. I am watching on my iPad though. I would prefer something a little more permanent and on my big screen.

So what are people doing to watch sports without cable? I am ok to get a subscription to something. I am ok to get a VPN if necessary. I am ok to get a roku stick or whatever if necessary to watch on the big screen. I would prefer it in HD. Any thoughts here? I would prefer to not get NHL package for 180 bucks, because, well I might as well go back to cable then lol.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: Sports with no cable tv?

I typically use one of the free streaming sites and then cast it to my tv with Chromecast.

There's also the CBC website/app for watching Hockey Night in Canada if you weren't aware of it.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Yeah - cutting the cord is great!
    We did it 4-5 years ago, we play a flat $79.95 for internet (no fees! - that's all TV package!) and get all the streaming services (Netflix, Amazon, the Disney/Hulu/ESPN+ package).

I can say this... if ANY of your friends with cable-tv package visit you to watch WITH YOU... then you can log-into their accounts WHILE THEY ARE OVER and watch hockey TOGETHER using an "app".
    I highly recommend the Roku devices for streaming everything.
    We have a wired connection and pay for the upper-end Roku's with a remote that has a headphone port - comes in handy a lot when one of us is watching something "annoying" (my hockey, the wife's politics/bachelorette stuff, kids annoying cartoons).

Are you in Canada or US?
    I thought Disney+ wasn't available in Canada?

Dobber Sports Veteran

I'm pretty sure Disney+ had a worldwide rollout all at once more or less.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Oh, maybe it's the Hulu/Disney+/ESPN+ package then?
    Somebody told me that wasn't available in Canada.
    It's absolutely the best bang-for-your-buck of any streaming service.

ESPN+ actually carries hockey coverage, they had two games on last night that I watched (WAS@BUF, VAN@EDM).
    They have 68 games in half-Jan/Feb alone!!!
    https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-r...ason-schedule/
    ^Pretty much a game every night, sometimes two!!!.

(For me, this is perfect. The package is like $12.99.... personally I would pay $10 for Disney and $10 for the hockey on ESPN+... and $10 for Hulu... so getting $30worth for $13... it's gold, Jerry!, gold!)
    (Side item: Chris Peters' has hockey prospect coverage occasionally contributed to ESPN+. Personally, I think his stuff is right there with Pronman - and a different take - sometimes more on point. But I can't advocate this too much, one of my secret & preferred go-to-guys that a lot of other people don't yet follow.)

Dobber Sports Deity

Did you check to see the price on the Sportsnet streaming package? I dont think it's the same as NHL Center Ice.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Sage

Not sure how it works in Canada but I got NHL TV for the regular season at $89 and then I get Sling for the playoffs ($35 per month). I knew when I cut the cord that I would be paying to stream some content throughout the year but overall I am saving substantially. I was paying $170 per month 3 years ago when I cut the cord and I now average around $100 per month and I am getting the exact content I want. No more wishing I could watch a Canadian hockey game but being stuck with NBC Sports cramming another Pittsburgh or New York game down my throat. Also, is everyone aware of the NHL extended highlights for every game on Youtube? I watch just about every game's 9 minute highlight package. It's a great way to start your day with a cup of coffee.

I get a lot of NFL games just through an antenna and found out last weekend that the CBS playoff game was being streamed through Prime. For what it's worth....
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Titan

Bilasports is a free stream. Roughly 1minute behind Sportsnet streams, which means it's like 1:30min behind TV.

Through Bila, its a stream of a stream so sometimes the refresh rate is garbo so you don't pick up the puck sometimes, but it's free can't complain. Bila is really good for football since everything is large and slower moving.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Bilasports is a free stream. Roughly 1minute behind Sportsnet streams, which means it's like 1:30min behind TV.

Through Bila, its a stream of a stream so sometimes the refresh rate is garbo so you don't pick up the puck sometimes, but it's free can't complain. Bila is really good for football since everything is large and slower moving.
    Bila is pretty good. I have never had a problem finding a stream if I looked for one.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    Hey all. A few months ago, I cut the cable and moved to Netflix, Disney, Amazon Prime and YouTube. I mostly watch on the big screen through my Xbox One. I haven’t really missed cable and I am saving some cash.

So, now that hockey has returned, I would like an option to watch without going back to cable. I have streamed a couple of games and it is pretty decent with a free stream. I am watching on my iPad though. I would prefer something a little more permanent and on my big screen.

So what are people doing to watch sports without cable? I am ok to get a subscription to something. I am ok to get a VPN if necessary. I am ok to get a roku stick or whatever if necessary to watch on the big screen. I would prefer it in HD. Any thoughts here? I would prefer to not get NHL package for 180 bucks, because, well I might as well go back to cable then lol.

Rylant
    I mentioned this in another thread but I picked up a streaming device (Nvidia) and am using that plus a service "from a guy who knows a guy lol" that is like $15 a month for every channel imaginable.

But if you're using XBOX I would say try reddit streams or go for the Sportsnet app.

Dobber Sports Novice

You can get a NHL.tv subscription and get some people from your fantasy hockey league to chip in. I got 4 other guys in my league to chip in. It is a one time payment of $100, but split 5 ways was only $20. The downside is you can only have three streamers at once. But I feel like that would be pretty unlikely to happen. Hope this helps.
    In a 12 man league where we start 9F, 5D, 1 skater and 2 G daily. It is a H2H league - we keep 2 players but if kept in consecutive season, the draft position is subtracted 5 rounds (17th rounder to 12th rounder).

G, A, +/-, PPP, GWG, HIT, BLK, and DEF.

F - Zibenajad, Nugent-Hopkins, Panarin, Marchand, Hoffman, Cirelli, Kaprizov, Josh Anderson, Burakovsky, Kotkaniemi, Hischier, Arvidsson,
    D - Slavin, Doughty, Weber, M. Pettersson, Orlov, McNabb

W, SV, SV% and SO.

G - Varlamov, Sorokin, Lehner, Binnington
    IR - Rossi

BRING HOCKEY TO HOUSTON TEXAS!!!

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    Not sure how it works in Canada but I got NHL TV for the regular season at $89 and then I get Sling for the playoffs ($35 per month). I knew when I cut the cord that I would be paying to stream some content throughout the year but overall I am saving substantially. I was paying $170 per month 3 years ago when I cut the cord and I now average around $100 per month and I am getting the exact content I want. No more wishing I could watch a Canadian hockey game but being stuck with NBC Sports cramming another Pittsburgh or New York game down my throat. Also, is everyone aware of the NHL extended highlights for every game on Youtube? I watch just about every game's 9 minute highlight package. It's a great way to start your day with a cup of coffee.

I get a lot of NFL games just through an antenna and found out last weekend that the CBS playoff game was being streamed through Prime. For what it's worth....
    I've been a center ice sub through bell for over 20 years (for my isles fix) but I cancelled the auto-renewal this year because I wanted to see the price first , and other reasons . I checked out those youtube highlights you suggested and you know what ; that might be enough for my fix this year . I think the sportsnet channels (regionals + 360 + sn1) are going to pick up a lot of oddball games they might not otherwise carry (u.s based teams)

I'll see how I feel after the free center ice preview goes . Some of the things you guys are talking about are way over my head . what the hell is a slingbox ! hehe .

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Oh, maybe it's the Hulu/Disney+/ESPN+ package then?
    Somebody told me that wasn't available in Canada.
    It's absolutely the best bang-for-your-buck of any streaming service.

ESPN+ actually carries hockey coverage, they had two games on last night that I watched (WAS@BUF, VAN@EDM).
    They have 68 games in half-Jan/Feb alone!!!
    https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-r...ason-schedule/
    ^Pretty much a game every night, sometimes two!!!.

(For me, this is perfect. The package is like $12.99.... personally I would pay $10 for Disney and $10 for the hockey on ESPN+... and $10 for Hulu... so getting $30worth for $13... it's gold, Jerry!, gold!)
    (Side item: Chris Peters' has hockey prospect coverage occasionally contributed to ESPN+. Personally, I think his stuff is right there with Pronman - and a different take - sometimes more on point. But I can't advocate this too much, one of my secret & preferred go-to-guys that a lot of other people don't yet follow.)

Sadly, us Canadians don't have access to that. It's blocked by the CRTC - our equivalent of the FCC.

Comparatively speaking, our TV options suck compared to you guys.
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SHP,GWG,H,BS,W,SV%,SA,SO
    12 Man H2H Salary Keeper League
    C - S.Crosby/S.Monahan/G.Landeskog(lw)/W.Karlsson
    LW- T.Hall/B.Rust(lw)/N.Hoglander
    RW - J.Guentzel(lw)/ T.Tatar(lw)/J.Pulujaarvi/K.Kapanen(lw)
    D - B.Burns/E.Karlsson/M.Heiskanen/J.Carlson
    G - I.Sorokin/I.Shesterkin/T.Demko/C.Peterson/C.Talbot
    Farm - C.Primeau/P.Kochetov/C.Caufield/E.Svechnikov

Dobber Sports Veteran

CRTC has absolutely nothing to do with that. Rogers owns all digital distribution of NHL games (they've leased some to Bell/TSN) in Canada. Even if ESPN+ branched into Canada, which they are free to do, they wouldn't own the rights to show games.